Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Hyperlinks Opening Another Document

May 23, 2012 9:43 AM

Tags: #indesign #cs6 #hyperlinks

I am trying to work with my hyperlinks in CS6. Everytime I try to do anything (update a hyperlink, add one, assign one to text), InDesign wants to open up an older file and reference it. For each time I click on anything in the hyperlink panel, It will go through all the existing hyperlinks, open the old document and briefly says "converting data." It takes about 5 minutes to run through for every click I made. I don't want this document referencing an older document at all. How can I get the hyperlinks to unassociate from the old document?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2012 9:49 AM   in reply to Cranberry Teacup

Hyperlinks are absolute. It sounds like you're convering a bunch of legacy files, and those hyperlinks are going to continue to point to the old versions unless you change them in the new file to point to the new versions of your files, or perhaps rename the old versions and save the new ones with the old names.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to Cranberry Teacup

Odd that it would do that for web URLs. Are you sure there weren't some sort of inter-doc cross references?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I have a book created in InDesign with hyperlinks between the various documents in the book. When I copied the book and it's Indesign  files to another location, the hypperlinks still go back to the original folder. Can I  re-connect the documents within the book in it's new location so that the hyperlinks will work?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points