Skip navigation
PeredyMusic
Currently Being Moderated

What files do I include to release app?

May 23, 2012 1:03 PM

Okay so I finally got DW to build an Android app I guilt (still having major problems getting it to build the one for iPhone) but in the Bin folder there are a bunch of files along with the APK file.

So I'm wondering, what all do I have to upload somewhere to allow people to download this app? For instance if I wanted to store this app on my website for people to download and install, then what do I target the link to and what all files in that Bin folder need to be in the root folder of the download?

Thank you very much for help on this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to PeredyMusic

It's best to follow Google steps and speak with their team if you encounter any issues:

http://developer.android.com/guide/publishing/publishing.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to PeredyMusic

It's basically the same files for Android, but you will need to sign the app before it can be packaged for distribution on Google Play:

http://developer.android.com/guide/publishing/app-signing.html

Because of security precautions, you must register and digitally sign your application otherwise it will only run in debug mode to whoever you give it to. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to PeredyMusic

App publishing is not the same as publishing for the desktop.  Unless you sign the applications and distribute through the official channels you 1. cannot guarantee security of the application (meaning anyone can take it and distribute it officially) and 2. they have to enable Unknown Sources which enables debug mode.

You can see this article on StackOverflow of a user who wanted to distribute for beta testing and ran into the same issue you are trying to overcome:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3122322/how-to-deploy-android-appli cation-to-beta-tester-devices

There is no way to just put the app on your website with a download button because of security protections put in place by the OS developers and phone manufacturers.

As far as the Mac is concerned, you will need to go to the app store and download/install XCode if you have not done so already.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 6:18 AM   in reply to PeredyMusic

I'm really getting irritated now. Is it really that hard for Adobe to give some clear step by step instructions?

Adobe is only here to provide you with a tool for development and testing.  They make no claims to publishing the app because that is beyond their control and requires other pieces of registration from the other companies.  The only instructions available for publishing apps is from those other companies like Apple and Google.

The reason I'm not worried about all the hooplah in it is because this app is really just going to a bunch of people I know, but are scattered around the country so I need a way for them to download what I made.

I have to wonder ultimately that if this is impossible to do, then why even add this as a feature to Dreamweaver?

Unfortunately, then you will need to have your friends enable debug mode on their phones to run the app as you have it.  Phone manufacturers and wireless carriers prevent unauthorized apps from running in anything but debug mode and some features are also disabled in this mode (ie: pushing out updates).

The reason why these features are in are for developers who are in the business of developing apps.  Apps on a phone are not meant as a replacement for websites, but they are supposed to provide functionality beyond what a phone can do which makes me wonder what the purpose of your app is, meaning is it anything more than a private lounge for you and your friends?  Could it be possible to push out an authorized app not in the marketplace to a group of users?  I would imagine so, but I would believe that it would have to be a feature of the carrier and most likely only allowed on a corporate plan vs a personal plan because it would be enabling access that is otherwise disallowed.

Futhermore, Drewamweaver is advertised as a professional level tool where they expect commercial use of the application meaning that they expect you to develop and work in those developer networks to publish your application.  But they added the features because they realized how HTML5 was shaping many of the mobile applications and so they saw an opportunity to try and bridge the gap of learning from foreign tool for development purposes.  I'm sorry that DW is not going far enough into the publishing realm for you.  If there is something extra you would like to see DW do with regards to publishing then I would recommend submitting a feature request with details about how you want DW to help you with signing and publishing applications to the marketplaces: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points