Skip navigation
volunteer No.1
Currently Being Moderated

LR3 How do I load saved Tone Curve (XMP file)?

May 22, 2012 7:02 PM

I created a custom Tone Curve in LR3.6 on Win7 64-bit as an XMP file, changing the default location to another folder. I right click on the Custom <> icon and can see the Save feature and some preset curves, but not the Tone Curve I saved that I called "Backlit Tone Curve.xmp." Do I have to move it to a special folder in the presets directory? I restarted LR and it still did not show up anywhere. I'd consider myself computer savvy but am not sure what I'm supposed to do here. Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2012 8:33 PM   in reply to volunteer No.1

I am confused.  The way I would set a custom tone-curve preset is to go to the Tone Curve section of the righthand panel, do my adjustments, go over to the lefthand panel and click the + next to Presets, click Check None, put a checkmark in the Tone Curve checkbox (2/3rds down on the left column) then type in a Preset Name and possibly choose a different folder to store the preset in, and Create it.

What are you doing?  It sounds totally different than the above.  I’d start by explaining how you created a custom tone curve, what was your starting point, and how did you customize it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 11:25 PM   in reply to volunteer No.1

volunteer No.1 wrote:

....changing the default location to another folder.

I would think that you should have saved them into the default location, rather than another folder. Try moving them back to the default place (on Win7 that would be c:\users\yourusername\appdata\roaming\adobe\cameraraw\curves). I've saved custom curves in the past, and they are available when I click on the up/down arrows.

@ssprengel, when using the point curve, as soon as you make an adjustment the Point Curve box changes from Linear to Custom, clicking on the up/down arrows gives you the option to save it in the aforementioned folder for easy future use. No need to create a dedicated preset.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 1:25 AM   in reply to volunteer No.1

I still thing you're putting the file in the wrong place. When you use the "Show Lightroom Presets Folder" then what you get is, well, the Adobe\Lightroom folder. But the Curves sub-folder should be actually under the Adobe\CameraRaw folder.....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points