Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 trimming

May 20, 2012 7:00 AM

What does everyone think of the new trimming tools in CS6?  When I first heard about it, I thought I would love it.  After putting it to the test, though, it kind of drives me nuts.  I use regularly use ripple edits, which used to be done just by holding control while trimming.  When I made my edit and let go of control, that was the end of the edit.  In CS6, the ripple edit tool stays active after you make your cut.  This requires a de-click off the clip.

Now, if you decide to ripple edit Clip A to your liking, and decide Clip B needs a ripple edit, too, you have to click empty space and then make your ripple edit.  The same applies if you make a regular trim and want to switch to a ripple trim.  The original trim type you used stays active.  If the trim tool would simply deactivate after use, I think that would solve this issue.  Is there a way to make that happen by default?

I'm also not wild about accidentally triggering the rolling edit cursor - isn't that what the rolling edit tool is for?

Is there a way to make it behave like it did in CS5?  One of my editing gigs requires cranking out a ton of clips, which relies heavily on ripple editing.  I suspect this is going to slow that process down.

Other than trimming, CS6 has been a huge speedboost in my workflow.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to Jack Banatoni

I'm finding it a bit bothersome myself.  Ripple trimming with the mouse used to be easy, now it's a bit more difficult.  Damn thing keeps going into the wrong 'mode'.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

You don't have to de-click selected edit point, just Shift or Alt+Click to change current Edit Mode. To switch between Rolling/Trimming mode use Ctrl+Shift or Ctrl+Alt+Click. Another easy solution is if you have a 4-5-button mouse, you can set a button to perform a "Ctrl+Shift+A" Deselect All operation as I did.

So there are no problems with this really.

Another inconvenience introduced is that when a single clip is trimmed - resulting clip duration not appears in the Info palette because an edit point is now considered as an object and the clip is deselected. Only a tooltip and timecode overlay with trim duration appears. To check resulting clip duration the clip should be clicked after every trim operation.

Other problem that doesn't have an easy workaround is to select a single clip from multiple selected clips.

In past versions - CS5.5 and older - when grouped/linked or simply multiple clips was selected, you could select a single clip with Alt+Click. They broken it and now the only way to select is by making a selection with Alt+Drag and if there are multiple stacked clips on the surrounding Tracks, you have to Lock the tracks just to select the necessary Linked/Grouped single clip. Other inappropriate solution is to Unlink/Ungroup or Shift+Alt+click every clip in the selection to finally select the single clip. Now that's really disappointing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to Jack Banatoni

Jack Banatoni wrote:

Any fix for this?

As Steven suggested, "Deselect All" is your best option.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:25 AM   in reply to Jack Banatoni

Visit another discussion: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1010204

Send a feature request for a switch: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

In the same way as we get used to pressing "S" to switch Snapping mode, following switches would help to perform the job faster by having an option to edit with and without Edit Points (cs5.5 and older):

• Allow Selecting Edit Points

totally disable selecting edit points, legacy behaviour

• Allow Selection tool to select Edit Points when multiple Clips are selected

disable selecting edit points when more than 1 clilp is selected - for easy drag'n'drop operations

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to Jack Banatoni

I agree wholeheartedly. The new Ripple Tool behaviour is very annoying and slows me down quite a bit. I wish there was a way to revert to CS5's Ripple Tool behaviour. The Deselect All is a decent workaround, but it's still slower than just being able to move to the next edit immediately. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one bothered by this change!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 9:22 PM   in reply to kevinthom

I am very happy with all the new Trimming "functions" but must admit..getting hung up in a Timeline Trimming EDIT Mode (requiring a click into TL space to exit it) is a bit of a pain.

The default to enter Trimming is "T." 

Why can "T" not be a toggle so that not only exits the Trim Monitor but also exits the  Edit Mode whatever it is.

BTW: anyone else noticed that if you have Safe Guides displaying on Program Monitor and you enter and exit Trimming...they are no longer displayed . No biggie but can be an irritant.

"Ctrl+Shift+A"   works well enough ..but a bit un intuitive and a bit of a finger contortion..

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 3:44 AM   in reply to shooternz

It should be changed to something like ` key and even such shortcut should be a factory default for later versions as this command is used very often

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points