Skip navigation
Devyn Brugge
Currently Being Moderated

Creative Cloud thinks my work is stolen, what can I do?

May 11, 2012 12:34 AM

Tags: #creative #share #publish #cloud #creative_cloud #copyright

I have uploaded a 20-second Commerical Spot (.MP4) in the hopes that I could use the fancy new Creative Cloud to share it with my client. I have shot the video all myself, and edited in CS6 and even used After Effect's new camera tracker to achieve some cool 3D text effects. I do have one piece of royalty-free music that I did not create, but rather purchased for the video and have the license to use.

Problem is, Creative Cloud says this when I try to get the Share link from the uploaded video: "Copyrighted material has been detected in this file. Publish options have been disabled."

So what happens when the Cloud thinks I've turned into some kind of pirate?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to Devyn Brugge

I've got the exact same problem.  If I find a solution I'll share it here.

EDIT:  I found this blog post from the Creative Cloud team (posted yesterday) saying that the sharing tools are something that they've "got planned in the near future."  Maybe they just aren't active yet?  It would be nice if the message said that instead of "Copyrighted material detected."

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 4:56 PM   in reply to Devyn Brugge

Having the same issue. This is really strange as I don't even have any audio in the MP4 I just uploaded, yet it says I have copyrighted material. Not sure if this is a bug or what, but it definitely shouldn't be happened. Especially when everything from the edit I just uploaded was just created in after effects.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to Devyn Brugge

I am seeing this issue too, on a video full of clips I shot myself for a volunteer organization. I do not like this feature, and it doesn't make any sense to me. There will be professionals here building projects and files for professional jobs, of course there will be copyright material involved! If this is a move to prevent art school students from swapping movies with each other it will have an effect on the professional world. I don't think it should be up to Adobe to decide what I can and cannot share with my clients! This cloud uploading will be fairly useless to me for work with any of my clients that have, say, a company logo or corporate music bed, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to Devyn Brugge

Same here, I was excited to share my new Cloud service with my client today, No music in the file, just VO but lots or corprate logos, It thinks I'm trying to break copy right, This was one of the main reasons I went with the sevice and I have been recomending it to others, I hope this gets fixed soon, I dont need to just share stuff with myself.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to Devyn Brugge

The more I think about this, the more it seems like video sharing just isn't enabled yet and the copyright message was erroneously left as the default.  How would Creative Cloud know if a logo or a song is copyrighted?  I know some file formats contain copyright metadata, but not any of the formats I was using.  Without metadata, a song is just a random collection of audio samples and a logo is just a group of pixels—Creative Could couldn't possibly "recognize" copyrighted material this way.

If I'm right, then I sure wish Adobe would change the message to something more helpful, such as "Video sharing available soon."

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to reedhewitt

Unless Adobe are using some form of system like Google's Content ID matching system (as used by YouTube), there would be very little way of accurately identifying copyrighted works. 

Adobe should be covered under the SafeHarbor provisions in the DMCA for any work uploaded by any unscrupulous users - providing they act swiftly to remove content that has absolutely positively 100% identified as being copyrighted works of another person/organisation without permission.

Just my tuppence anyway.  It's bad enough having to deal with DRM, aggressive licensing systems, and everything else to get any work done when you're working well within the law (I hate the assumption by practically every corporation that I may be a potential pirate or deliberately trying to break licensing conditions) than having one's own work flagged up as being in violation of something when you know full well it isn't.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to mbdrake

Hear, hear!

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 4:00 PM   in reply to reedhewitt

I think you are correct about the message just being incorect. It will alow me to share jpg and tgas with no problem, Just for kicks I uploaded a jpg that blaitenly breaks copyright and it let me share that with no issue so it must just be video.

An official explination from Adobe would be nice. I dont get why it would make a diference, perhaps its file size, When I have a chance i'll experiment more, I wonder what it will do with a 1 gb file sequince folder.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 4:15 PM   in reply to Simon Jester

Nope, file sequince wont work as you cant share folders just files, that sucks, I use file sequences all the time, I would hate to have to share every file 1 at a time.

It would be much easyer to just have one folder per client that they can get stuff from connected to thier email.

I tested mp3 audio as well and just recieved a "publishing options are disabled for this item" message.

Again I think our conclusions are correct, they are not up and running corectly yet, it would have been nice to let us know, this cloud is pointless for me if i cant get the files to my clients and coworkers.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 11:32 PM   in reply to Devyn Brugge

Wow, I uploaded a video, and I'm not even seeing it, but I'm seeing on the usage bar that the file is some how being recognized.    Does the cloud not like video?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 5:23 PM   in reply to Devyn Brugge

It seems to be an issue specifically with MP4 files.  Creative Cloud does not support MP4s according to Adobe.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4416482#4416482

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 8:25 PM   in reply to dcfreelancelot

We tried a variaty of video and audio formats, none of them share.

We tried to use CS6 exclusively for the 24 hr Film race, we used the cloud as a quck go between the Macs and the PCs. I ended up sharing my password and we just loged in and out, it was stuped but we didnt have time to figure out the networking on the fly as we all arived a few hours before the contest. All 3 workstations ran the CS6 cloud and we loved the workflow with the Red Camera. we made it all the way through the contest with CS6 (uncluding a full CGI shot) but with a dramatic ending we slipped on an audio line being out of synk and with only minuts to rerender for some reason we couldent figere out how to make an H264 .move only .mp4 (we were tired) so we had to import it into Final Cut for one quick audio fix. I was pissed (Im the PC Guy) I guess that Mac just had to get its say. But agan, Premere handled that Red format with ease and it looked great. The final cut editor was convinced.

Anyway, long story short, the cloud shure helped us this weekend but we had to cheat a little to make it work for us, It will be great when it actualy works properly.

BTW we weren't moving Red files through the cloud LOL we used a drive for that.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to Devyn Brugge

Creative Cloud does not support sharing of mp4 files at this time, however the copyright message was being incorrectly displayed for these files. The text has been updated to remove the copyright notice and now simply says "You cannot share this type of file using Creative Cloud".

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to Ryan Barrans

Creative Cloud will now distinguish between a file type you cannot share (video, music, fonts) and one that is copyrighted.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 10:21 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

How much faith does Adobe put into it's system for identifying copyrighted material and how accurate is it?  I find technological methods for attempting to figure out IP rights to be hideously flawed (and even Google's Content ID system isn't perfect).  Can one appeal if the service gets it wrong?  How does one prove to Adobe that appropriate licensing has been purchased for material uploaded to Creative Cloud?

Quite frankly this is stupid.  If I were running a post-production company, I'd be far more liable to implement OpenStack or some other 3rd party object store and build around that than trying to figure out whether something is attempting to violate copyright or not.  From a production point of view - trying to figure out licensing issues is one thing, then having to deal with potential finger-waving of having material declared as violated copyright is, quite frankly, insane.

People would be better off switching to third party cloud services as a consequence and let court orders do the talking if they're in the process of violating somebody's copyright.  I see Creative Cloud being a tremendous headache for legitimate users.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 11:25 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Why are MP4s not suported? What is the diference? why would it mater what kind of file it is? its just a file I want to get from a to b there is no reason for you to even look at it.

Can you please discribe what you mean by copyrighted material? I work with stuff that I certianly dont own the copyrights too yet the companies I work with do, they hired me, how will your software know this?

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to Ryan Barrans

I too would like to know why adobe cares what type of file I am sharing. A file is a file, isn't it?

I need to share all sorts of things such as video files with my clients. If that is a primary function of the creative cloud service, then it is not doing that and I am paying for a broken service. I am just going to zip them up and see if adobe approves of me doing that...

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Ken G. Rice wrote:

Creative Cloud will now distinguish between a file type you cannot share (video, music, fonts) and one that is copyrighted.

So we have to keep Dropbox - or some other 3rd party file sharing app which we know just works - simply for sharing legitimate files that Creative Cloud deems that we cannot share?

In the real world, this just makes the Cloud unreliable - and gets in the way of honest users - since we cannot guarantee that the software is doing the job that we think it's doing if we somehow trigger a red flag in Adobe's copyright detection algorithms.

Adobe then responds with "Oops, sorry. We shouldn't have red flagged that file. Please download this patch". The damage is done by then.

Why does the file type matter?

I once worked for a company whose policy included preventing .zip files being emailed - by checking for the .zip file extension in the email attachment. End result: everyone re-named their zipped files with .zap, emailed them then renamed them with .zip.

Necessity is often the mother of invention.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to John Waller

I have a feeling the reason for Adobe not being able to share mp4 files could do with the patent on the mpeg4 codec. I'm curious if they have to get a license agreement to be able to host and share those file types.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to Lodus411G

Lodus411G wrote:

I have a feeling the reason for Adobe not being able to share mp4 files could do with the patent on the mpeg4 codec. I'm curious if they have to get a license agreement to be able to host and share those file types.

So Adobe wants to avoid becoming the next Napster?

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 9:24 PM   in reply to John Waller

Why would you need a licence agreement to move a file? I dont want to "Share" it publicly nor do I care if they can view it online. Like previously mentioned, I was looking for a "dropbox" like system that could handle anything. However I did just try the Zip workaround and it shares fine solving my problem, so thanks for that.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points