Skip navigation
bjlothian
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4 - Catalog problem?

May 23, 2012 10:33 AM

Tags: #catalog #library #lr4 #lightroom4

I recently installed Lightroom 4.0 on my new Windows 7 Home Premiun SP1 (64 bit) computer and imported my Lightroom 3.6 catalog into a Lightroom 4 catalog.

I have two problems which may or may not be related.

First:

While working in the Library, adding key words, etc., Lightroom will suddenly report in the current photo "The file named "xxxx (either .mrw or .jpg)" is offline or missing". On viewing the folder listing in the left-hand pane, all of the folders display with a "?". They did not do so moments before.

LR4 file missing.jpg

LR4 folderr listing.jpg

Second:

My LR4 import path is C:\Users\Bain\Pictures\My LightRoom.

However, Lightroom is displaying the folders imported since the upgrade as if they are in the root of C:

LR4 folderr listing 2.jpg

When I view the folders in Windows Explorer they are displayed properly in the My Lightroom folder.

LR$ - My Lightroom folder listing.jpg

I'd apprecaite any suggestions or help in resolving these issues.

Bain

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to bjlothian

These two issues should not be related. In fact, the second is not an issue at all.

First, try right-clicking on one of the folders with a question mark. Choose "Find Missing Folder". This will allow you to point LR to where the folder is currently at. It will start by looking where LR thinks it is, but likely this is not the correct location.

Second, the folder listing isn't trying to say that the folders are on the root of C:. LR Only lists the folders which you have imported files from (unless you add folders). So it is just saying these file are on the C: drive. If you want to see the full path all the way back up to C:, right-click a folder and choose "Show Parent Folder". When the parent folder (in your case "My LightRoom") is shown, right-click and choose "Show Parent Folder" again, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to bjlothian

That is some strange behavior. Are all of these folders that are going missing/getting question marks on the C: drive. Or are they on an external drive or network drive?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to bjlothian

So, the folders that go missing are on C:, they just become disconnected from time to time and will instantly reconnect without issue? And when you import, you are also importing a copy to an external drive? Does this behavior have anything to do with whether or not the external drive is plugged in?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to bjlothian

Would you be able to do a verification test to see if you don't use the "Make a Second Copy To" option while importing, if that folder does not run into this same issue?

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to bjlothian

Sounds like we may have something going on at the system level then. Could I give you a call to work with you directly and see if we can get this resolved?

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to bjlothian

Sure. How PM? Does 4 work? (I just have to remember that you are two hours ahead of me)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points