Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

drag a layer into another document

May 22, 2012 10:14 PM

i am struggling to do this, and i suspect it isnt even possible.

I have a large psd doc several layers deep.

I have a smaller sized psd file open

I want to drag a layer from the large to the smaller one and have it resize. Much like if i have the option in prefs for place.

I thought holding ctrl when draggin or other keys, but i can't seem to find a solution

i know there are a few other workarounds but they are all long winded.

Did i miss something here or is it just not actually possible to say drag a 4000x4000px layer into a 150x150 document and have it auto fit the layer, just as place would do if importing a file.

Replies
  • Charlie.D
    190 posts
    Jun 16, 2009
    May 23, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to fr4nk13xx

I'll move your question to the forum for Photoshop to help you get prompt attention.  FYI, the forum for your product is: http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/general

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 23, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to fr4nk13xx

You can drag layers from one document into an other. Note if the documents have different resolutions photoshop will match the  layer being copied pixels to the desternation document resolution you may see what you think is a resizing of the draged layers.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to fr4nk13xx

Go to  window>arrange and select one of the non-tabbed options. Float in window, tile, cascade, tile vertically, etc. Then you can select the file you want to copy from, and drag the layer from that file and drop it on top of another file that you have within view. I hope that helps.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to fr4nk13xx

I am just on a lesson about copying and resizing layers. As far as I know you can drag and drop a layer from one document to another,but it will not automatically resize. You will know this by pressing Ctrl + T (Free Transform command). It will show you the imported layer boundaries outside the canvas of the document you placed it in. You could Shift + drag on the corner handle of the transform box to reduce the size while keeping the proportions. Press Enter to accept the result,ESC to cancel.

Is that what you are looking to do?

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to fr4nk13xx

fr4nk13xx,

Did you try a non tabbed window arrangement as mentioned above?

{attoe

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to fr4nk13xx

Then go up to the option bar while in free transform and right click on percentage fields,changing them to pixels. You can then enter the exact pixel dimensions you want.

The only command that will auto fit a image file onto another is the File > Place command.

You could save the layer as a file and try that as well.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to fr4nk13xx

fr4nk13xx wrote:

gener7 thank you for the input, i think you missed the issue. The way you described is what i have been doing but i have to get the 2nd smaller doc right down to 4% or so, so i can even see the handles of the dragged layer

That's where the Ctrl + (Zoom in keyboard shortcut) comes in handy. You tap it as many times as it takes while in Tranform until you see the handles.

Great for those tools that lock out the normal zoom commands.

It's not the command you really want,but it seems efficient to me...and I've been on PS since 5.0.2.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 23, 2012 8:26 PM   in reply to fr4nk13xx

fr4nk13xx wrote:

It does seem my memory is playing tricks with me, as it does appear there is no autosize when draggin a layer from one doc to another unless jjmack managed to find a way , maybe i have something not set

There is no as you put it auto fit auto resize. As I wrote Photoshop will match the layers you drag pixels to the resolution of the target document. This may appear to you as a resize or scale change.   If you  have two open documents that are 8" x 10" where one has a resolution of 100 DPI and the other has a resolution of 300DPI and if the layer you drag is the same size as the document canvas size and has no transparency then if the source layer is in the 8" x 10"  100DPI document the layer has 800x1000pixels if dragged into the 8"x10" 300dpi document which has 800x1000pixels the layer will be 1/3 the canvas size with the same aspect ratio as the canvas.  If on the other hand the drag is in the other direction you will be dragging 2400x3000 pixels into a document with a canvas size the is 800x1000pixels the layer will be three time the canvas size and only 1/3 of the layer will be visible when it is positioned over the canvas.  Photoshop support any size layer. Layers can be larger then smaller then and the same size as the document canvas size. Layers can also have any aspect ratio they need not have the same aspect ratio as the canvas size. Layers also support transparency though a layer bounds is rectangular including square a layer can have any shape.  Photoshop "Background Layer" is a special layer it does not support transparency so Background layers are always canvas size and partly locked for it does not support transparency.  If you change a documents canvas size and the document has a backgroung layer the size of the background layer will change pixels will either be added to the background layer or pixels will be croped off the background.  Other layer sizes will not change all the changes is their position over the new canvas in accordance with the size change and position of the anchor point.

|
    Mark as:
  • Mathias17
    451 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    May 23, 2012 9:38 PM   in reply to JJMack

http://www.bikecad.ca/faqFiles/enter_key.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 6:08 PM   in reply to gener7

gener7 wrote:

That's where the Ctrl + (Zoom in keyboard shortcut) comes in handy. You tap it as many times as it takes while in Tranform until you see the handles.

Great for those tools that lock out the normal zoom commands.

gener7, I thought I would point out a frequent hotkey I use that saves you from all that Keyboard zooming out while transforming large items: CMD+0 (Mac) or CTRL+0 (Win). That will automatically zoom to fit the screen the transform handles. I saw Bert Monroy do that years ago, been doing it ever since. Also running in full-screen mode makes things so much easier much of the time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points