Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Need Detailed description of the differences between Adobe Flash Player Plugin and Shockwave Flash

May 21, 2012 11:54 PM

Tags: #flash #shockwave #differences

For many years now I have been in a quandry over Adobe Flash (plugin) and Shockwave flash. The quandry is also somewhat exacerbated by the variety of subsetted versions supplied for each.

You know, it is sorta like the name and namespace dilemna provided by Adobe's continuing use of "Macromedia" when sometimes referring to, or distributing, their products... eg still creating Macromedia folders during installs. 

I have been told that Shockwave Flash actually contains the Flash plugins. If that is the case should I be upgrading to a newer Shockwave Flash version if  Adobe announces or (as recently occurred) denounces

a newer version of Adobe Flash.

Will you please provide me with details for, and distinctions between, these two products?

Hoping you can respond in a flash ... er... two flashes.

Thanks     

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2012 2:44 AM   in reply to gbye

Shockwave Flash == Flash Player.

Flash Player is a browser add-on that consists of two components:

• Flash Player ActiveX control for Internet Explorer
    • Flash Player plugin for all other browsers

There is also another product from Macromedia: Shockwave Player, a completely different tool.  Not as widely used as Flash Player.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to gbye

First, to clarify: I am not an Adobe employee, just a volunteer in these forums.

Regarding Shockwave Player: no, it does not contain the Shockwave Flash plugin.

And about the Windows 2000 install problem: see this topic, especially towards the end http://forums.adobe.com/thread/965334

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to gbye

gbye wrote:

Hope Adobe really appreciates your input to the forum.

We do!!  Pat has been an invaluable asset to this community!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 12:21 AM   in reply to gbye

I am so confused. I have a laptop with windows 7 and sometimes i use internet explorer and sometimes google. Although google has been really confusing me lately. Am I to understand that there is not just ONE flash player that will work for all IE, google, firefox, etc.? So if I download the flash while in IE and then try to go to the site I want in google, will I get a message saying that I do not have the flash player plug in installed? This is the message I get and I have downloaded flash player about 5 times in the past few days.

Just off the subject my curser has been jumping all over and moving to other text I have already typed while I am typing. so constantly I have part of the word I am typing moved somewhere else on my page and I have to go up and correct that word as well as move curser back down to my latest point and make a correction there. as soon as i start typing again for awhile it will do the same thing again. Any ideas.

I am not a computer whiz, just trying to chug along and do the best I can with my novice knowledge. Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 1:45 AM   in reply to sandyjean1957

Google Chrome comes with Flash Player preinstalled; you don't need to install it.  Update Chrome to update Chrome's Flash Player.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 11:18 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

how do I update chrome? I am pretty sure that it is but tell me anyway. thank you

Sandra J. Barrientos

[private data removed]

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 11:18 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

I have been having some issues with google/chrome lately. It seems like I keep getting myself more involved with stuff when I am on google that I don't need to even be messing with so I end up with my computer a mess and more confused. I find IE much more simple to use or else I am just very familiar with it. If I want to use IE what can I do plus I can not even log into my site on google chrome. It keeps saying my password in incorrect but on IE I am able to log in it just says I do not have the flash plug in. Is plug in different from just flash?

Sandra J. Barrientos

[private data removed]

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 11:20 PM   in reply to sandyjean1957

This is a public forum; please do not post your email address and other private data (by sending the entire forum notification message with all its headers back to the forum).

See my reply in your other topic.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points