Skip navigation
ljb23
Currently Being Moderated

Reader 9.3.3 crashes the second time I print

Aug 1, 2010 3:09 PM

Running Adobe Reader 9.3.3 on Slackware Linux 13.1 (Kernel 2.6.33.4, 32 bit Intel). I can print fine, but only once. The second time I try to open the print dialog, Adobe Reader closes - crashes with a segmentation fault.  This is 100% repeatable, and I don't even have to actually send anything to the printer. Just using File => Print, clicking Cancel, then again File => Print will cause the crash.

Someone else with Slackware Linux 13.1 has reproduced this, but I know it doesn't happen with Xubuntu 10.04 on the same hardware and same Reader version. So something is going on between Reader and Slackware Linux.  Are there any suggestions that I can try to help track this down?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2010 6:08 PM   in reply to ljb23

This is still the case with cups 1.4.5 and Adobe Reader 9.4 (under both Slackware 13.1 or -current)

there is not error message output from acroread, not even in .xsession-errors so identifying what the exact problem is rather difficult.

I am not sure that the issue mentioned on the novell link above is relevant as neither thunderbird or any other program have crash after printing on my install of slackware, only Adobe Reader.

If I can be of some help debug  this thing before Reader X is released for linux let me know.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2010 4:59 PM   in reply to ArTourter

Hi Just an update on this.

This seems to now be fixed on slackware 13.1 and current.

It was indeed the same problem as described in the other threads. The reason it didn't crash firefox on default slackware is because it would only do so when gnome-vfs is installed (which doesn't come directly in the distro)

The cups package on 13.1 and current have just been updated to fix the problem and I have tested it with Reader 9.4.1 and can confirm the Reader doesn't crash anymore.

Sorry for the noise.

Cheers

Greg

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:09 AM   in reply to ljb23

Similar problem with Adobe reader 9.5.1 and cups 1.4.8:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1010788

|
    Mark as:

More Like This