Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

SD CARD Cameras & PE7

May 22, 2012 6:32 AM

Hi All,

I know this is an old topic, but maybe there is some new info available. Yes I know PE7 loves HDV, which I have used very successfully for 3 years. But I am eager to enter the modern world of File based video cams and save the capture time. Also, my clients are sending me files that I always need to render out to .m2t files before editing in PE7. The lack of efficiencies are really starting to frustrate me.So I ask the following:

- Assume I have gobs of ram and and speed on my computer. Is anyone having any luck with the new file based cameras? Really hoping the answer is yes, because PE7 is absolutely awesome!

- Or...should I stop asking this question, buy a juiced up Mac PowerBook and strongly consider migrating to FC Pro since it seems to work well with most of the new cams?

Does anyone else feel my pain? Your input will be most appreciated.

Stan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to rtprtp

When you say "new cams", do you mean AVCHD?

Premiere Elements 10 interfaces very well with AVCHD on an adequately powered computer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to rtprtp

If you've got all of the current service packs, Vista should work almost as well as Windows 7 -- though it still leaves something to be desired. So, yes, Premiere Elements 10 works pretty well with Vista. But the 64-bit version of Premiere Elements will work on Windows 7 only.

I would not recommend using standard definition, non-tape-based camcorders. It's certainly possible with Premiere Elements if you set your projects up correctly. But it's a rather inefficient editing system that will likely go away soon.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to rtprtp

Yes. The 32-bit version of the software will work on Vista 64. Just not as well as the 64-bit version will run on Windows 7 64.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to rtprtp

I have not read of any conflicts, and there are usually none. One user here, ATR, has PrE 7, 8 and 9, but I do not recall anyone with both PrE 7 & 10, but I could have well missed that.

As most Adobe programs install separately, and do not overwrite existing versions, that should work fine.

Maybe a user with both PrE 7 & 10 will weigh in?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:49 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I've had 7, 9 & 10 all installed at the same time (although not currently). They all coexisted well. The only issue I faced was my own stupidity when I overwrote one of the catalogs.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to rtprtp

Good question.

PrE 10 64-bit was written with Win7-64 in mind, but I do not know about Vista-64.

I looked at several spec. sheets, and only saw Win7-64, but that does not negate Vista-64, it just did not list it. It might be as simple as an omission on those spec. sheets, or it might be that Vista-64, being older, was just not certified, but would still work fine? Maybe others, who are running PrE 10-64 on Vista-64, can comment.

Wish that I could help more.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to rtprtp

This is about as close, as I have been able to come:

Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2, Windows Media Center, Windows Vista® (all applications run native on 32-bit operating systems and in 32-bit compatibility mode on 64-bit operating systems), or Windows 7 (Adobe® Premiere® Elements Editor runs native on 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems; all other applications run native on 32-bit operating systems and in 32-bit compatibility mode on 64-bit operating systems)

That sounds like 64-bit in Win7-64 only, but is not 100% clear to me.

As PrE 10 comes with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions (at least on the physical media), you should be able to install PrE 10-64, and see if the installation completes on your Vista-64, and runs fine. If not, you can then install the 32-bit version.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points