Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

When is PPBM6 going to be ready?

May 23, 2012 10:23 AM

The title says it all...

I've downloaded the zip file and am going to run the test this afternoon. I went to go see others' results and was prompted to register and login. However after attempting to login I got a failure notice saying that it couldn't find the page specified and bumped me back to the login page...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2012 9:58 PM   in reply to davidbeisner2010

What is a PPBM6?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 4:45 AM   in reply to shooternz

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to davidbeisner2010

Yes i posted the wrong link, thanks for correcting.

And indeed no instructions and output text file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to davidbeisner2010

David & others interested,

Bill and I are still struggling with the test, the download size, the reduction of measurement errors, the statistical accuracy, the hardware info gathering method, the features we want to add to the site, but we are both unpaid volunteers who have to make do with our time available, not to mention our severe lack of expertise required to make things come true.

I have redesigned the timeline, mainly with three thoughts in mind:

1. To improve statistical accuracy and reduce measurement errors, and
    2. To more closely reflect the wide variety of formats used by adding Canon XF 422, Red 4K and XDCAM HD material.
    3. To reduce the impact of caching algorithms in the various versions.

This phase is complete, but there are some negative consequences to this new timeline, it increases the download size significantly and it increases the testing time hugely.

I am busy writing the new instructions and have added AME presets for the new testing to be performed, in order to avoid mistakes by using different presets than instructed, making the testing phase easier. I still need to include a script that will gather the hardware info in more detail and will easen the task of submitting your data. I am working with a third party to help develop this new data submission format, and to add new functionality to the site.

For the meantime, I have added CS6 functionality to the PPBM5 website, so you can test, submit and select CS6 results. I have also added the possibility to query GTX 6xx cards.

As soon as we are ready, we will announce it on the fora.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Bill and Harm, thanks so much for taking the time to put this new version together. It really will help a lot of folks stuck at a transition point (i.e. leaving Mac for PC) make a crucial decision. Hats off to you guys.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points