• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

trying to import video"Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"

Explorer ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to import a video into Photoshop CS6 I get the error: "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document".

I have tried multiple formats with no luck. 

I was able to improt it into Photoshop CS5 by dragging and dropping.

Im using Photoshop CS 6 64bit, have tried 32bit with no luck

If I try to drag and drop it, I get this error: could not place the document. Because no parser or file format can open the file. 

I have tried opening a .mov, and a .avi file. I thought it might be a codec thing but why can cs5 open it but not cs6?

I noticed other posts with the same issue but they did not get resolved.  Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Josh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem for me.. I tried to instal quicktime but the problem still persist..

Please help.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "import" is that the same as Open?  With open I have no problems, at least with .wmv.

In Import all I see is inport video frames as layers.

Win7    CS6 extended

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive tried multiple ways, 1)File> Open and 2) drag the file into the photoshop work area 3) File > Place

Thanks,
Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to progress with this question you need to be more specific.  What OS, RAM, video card, size of video file, extensions tried and any other pertinent info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem in cs6 extended.

I tried to open or drag every file type I have, including .mov, .wmv and .avi, nothing worked. They are not large files, just video's of a few seconds.

If I drag a video I get the error "Could not place the document "name.mov" because no parser or file format can open the file." and if I open it I get "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document".

I use windows 7.

Really hope someone can help me with this! I love photoshop cs6 but it's a shame I can't use the new timeline function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, so obviously there a number of people who cant open video in CS6.

Info

Windows 7 Intel Core i7  12GB ram  ATI Radeon HD 5700 video

Any help would be apreciated.

I have also tried opening different ways and files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will these video files open in Bridge?  If so should open in PS also.  Have tried .wmv and .avi successfully opened in PS CS6 extended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've opened .mov files from a Canon DSLR OK in CS6. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, the files did not open in bridge, If I was browsing the computer, it would just display an empty directory.

Also, these video where able to open in CS 5.1 PS with no problem. 

Is there a way to verify if I installed CS6 Extended? It does not say extended at startup, but when I got the CS6 Master collection, it said it included PS extended.

Thanks,
Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they did not open in Bridge that might indicate you do not have a codec for them.  Is this with several types of video?

Try purging the cache in Bridge Tools/cache/purge cache for xxx folder.  Let it rebuild without interuption and see if it works.

If not then reset preferences in Bridge by holding down the Ctrl key and starting Bridge.  You will get a reset windown with 3 options.  Choose all 3.

It is is extended you will see 3 D in the tool bar.  Or in Help about Photoshop it will say Extended in the window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A small segment of users running into this issue do so because their copy of Photoshop is not properly licensed.

Step 1: Be sure you have a properly licensed copy of Adobe Photoshop.

If you suspect you've been sold an illigitimate copy of Adobe software, please see the link below on information and how to report it.

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/antipiracy/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2015 May 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

never mind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have anyone with problem opening a video file into CS6 tried resetting your preferences?

Start PS then IMMEDIATELY  hold down Ctrl + Alt + shift keys.  You should get a reset window.  If you see splash screen you are too late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem seems to have solved itself somehow.

I opened Bridge to see if the file would open, and it did. So then I selected the file and chose open with photoshop cs6. And voila, it opened and now everything workes fine. I have no idea why though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!  Further enhances my view that you first have to get video to work in Bridge.  Since Bridge is a part of PS they may share sub-routines for video. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you used a crack to install CS6, replacing amtlib.dll, it no longer accepts video because it's not CS6 Extended anymore.

So, if that's the case, buy the product or whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When this happens, is "Video" included in the list of formats in the popup menu in the Open dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video can be rather a real "can-o-worms." The common, and popular "formats," are but "wrappers." They can contain all sorts of stuff. This ARTICLE will give you some background, and also tell you how to "peek inside that wrapper."

You will see mention of CODEC's in that article. Those are "the building blocks" of Audio/Video files. For more background, see this ARTICLE.

Next, PS-Extended has a limited number of formats, that it can work with. Even if you have a file, that has an extension, that is a Supported Format, things are not as simple, as with Still Images. Back in the first linked article, I explain some of the "stuff," that can be inside a "common" format file. Take .AVI as an example. One could have an .AVI file, that has any one (Video only here, but remember that if there is Audio muxed into that file, it will have a CODEC too) of about 500 Video CODEC's, and most of those will not work in PS-Extended. Many will not even work in Premiere Pro, Adobe's video-editing program. It all depends on what is inside of that .AVI wrapper.

If you would please use either G-Spot, or MediaInfo (linked in that article, and free), and tell us what is inside the "wrappers," then someone will likely be able to either help you, or direct you to a conversion program, to alter the "stuff" inside the "wrapper," so that PS-Extended CAN work with it.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vurgano, Powelly 100, and izzysanime,

Has the issue been resloved?

If so, how was it resolved?

I see Yesughei and Powelly are on Win7.

Izzysanime, which Win OS are you using?

Vurgano, what platform/OS are you using?

We are still investigating this issue and would appreciate your assistance.

To rule out problems with the files you have, could you please verify the Photoshop CS5 sample file "CheeziPuffs.mov" will also not work? (program files\adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\samples)

Also would you please verify the following:

1. Virus/security/parental control software hasn't trapped parts of Photoshop, Bridge, Premiere, Lightroom, or any Adobe app using DynamicLinkMediaServer. (Make sure the Adobe apps are added as exceptions if needed.)
  2. Ensure you have the latest version of QuickTime
  3. Close all Adobe applications - wait more than 30 seconds, then launch Photoshop and try to open the file.

- If unsuccessful, view Task Manager/Processes to verify necessary processes started up when importing video (dynamiclinkmanager.exe, dynamiclinkmediaserver.exe and Adobe QT32 Server.exe)

- If unsuccessful, please capture the full error message text.

4. Close all Adobe apps, wait 30 seconds - launch Bridge and try to open the file.

If everyone is on Win 7, it makes me wonder about permissions...

Thanks,

Meredith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a valid license holder and am experiencing the same problem as the OP in Photoshop CS6 64 bit while trying to open a Canon Mark III raw file.  The only way I could work around the error "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document" was to set the 32 bit version of Photoshop as my default app for my .RAW files.  I am using Adobe Camera Raw 7.3 and Photoshop Extended 13.1.2 (32 and 64 Bit).  For me, the problem is limited to the 64 bit version of Photoshop.  The 32 bit version works fine.  I'm posting to this thread because I'm getting the same error in 64 bit Photoshop as the OP even though I'm not opening the same type of file.  I am running Creative Suite CS6 (subscription) on Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Launch Photoshop CS6 -64bit, and go to help>plug-in, see if there is a versionof camera raw installed and let me know what version that is, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have this photoshop pop up message :

Could not complete your request because photoshop does not support video on this version of windows,

this for a short .mov file readable using apple quick time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message "photoshop does not support video on this version of windows" is due to non-support for 32-bit Windows. Starting with PS CC (2013), video support on 32-bit Windows was dropped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know, ran into this issue today. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines