This discussion is archived

Known Issues in new skins

Jul 17, 2012 3:02 PM

Tags: #test
  Latest reply: RickCP, Aug 28, 2012 9:54 AM
Replies 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2012 6:18 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

I have asked for the forum controls (reply Mark as, Edit, Delete (some of which only appear for moderators)) to be right aligned so they appear in the same place on Questions (which have the late appearing Was this helpful) and on non-questions so that there might be some consistency. Futur update...

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 6:24 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel, I'm using FF right now and see it on almost any page. If I'm reading this thread and move from the third page to the fourth and hit Back it just sits there. I have to hit Back a 2nd time for it actually go back to the third page.

I can't say that it happens 100% of the time, but enough to notice it and get annoyed by it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 6:42 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

John C,

This is definitely not directed at you, as you have probably not seen your family in several weeks, but the forums, the "new & improved forums," are flat broken. THIS is some video of the Adobe forums, though metaphorically. I could come up with many nautical metaphors too. The Titanic, The Morro Castle, and many others, come immediately to mind.

I keep trying to be patient, in hopes that things will finally get better, but they are not. The Adobe Forums are almost impossible to use now. Many contributors are just leaving, and in droves.

Adobe made a very big mistake (or many of them), and I do not know how to "right the ship."

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I am loosing faith. As BB King opined, "the thrill is gone."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

John Cornicello wrote:

Noel, I'm using FF right now and see it on almost any page

Hm, must be the rare case where it works better on IE than FF then.

Thanks for the info.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 7:50 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Hm, must be the rare case where it works better on IE than FF then.

Indeed; I have just tested with IE9, and the phenomenon does not happen here.

But with Firefox 12 and Waterfox 12 it happens about 3 times out of 4.  Both when using the browser's Back button, or the keyboards Back key.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 8:14 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

Well, the hour is near...

GOOD LUCK, JC and team.

GOOD LUCK, fellow users.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 9:48 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Update has been delayed. Now scheduled for 4am pacific time. Should be back online around 6am.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:24 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

The Back button issue was brought up here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4335425#4335425

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:42 AM   in reply to John Cornicello

Here is another strange one, John.

It is rather serious.

When you use Ask a Question and insert a string of text with or withou quotes, you get to a new page with a (rather short) list of threads.

It should be noted that the URL refers to the forum that you left, such as this for this forum and the search string "fair forums":

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments?view=discussi ons

When you click one of the threads, you get there, and you can read it.

But.

When you hit the Back button (which is the only way to get back), you are brought back to the forum you started from, not to the search results.

This means that you will have to start all over again, retyping the search string.

The only way to avoid this is to click the See more Results bar, whether it turns up more results or not.

Only then you get the chance of going back to the search list and see another thread.

It also gets an URL of its own, as this:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=tr ue&userID=&containerType=14&container=3384&spotlight=false&rankBy=date &q=%22fair+forums%22

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 4:54 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

The legend still needs a patch - we're running gray icons on an identical gray backgound, so the only visible pixels are from the (now incorrect) matte to white. "New" is equally hinky:

af-legend.gif

To quote Zaphod, "It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it."

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 4:57 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Wow!  Thise are great color choices.  I can almost read the text.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

One suggestion in connexion with the information under the avatar still under construction:

The post count is related to the date mentioned and is probably right, but for many of us, the date has nothing to do with the date of joining the forums. It is merely a date

I, for one, started posting in two of the forums in the previous millennium, so I was a well established native that late summer day in 2006. Some natives that were already there when I joined have even later dates under their avatars, as far as I remember as late as some time in 2009.

And one of the most knowledgable natives I have ever met, and who has seemed to have always been here (and has posted as lately as yesterday), has no post count and no date at all (and even no (default) avatar at all), thus seemingly having managed in some way to escape back to the bliss of the fair forums where all were equal.

I presume it has to do with the merging of forums and earlier attempts to change the forum formats, (some of) the natives of the WebX forums having a greater part (or all) of their past left out.

I would suggest the wording:

[Number of] posts

Since [day]-[Month]-[Year]

This would be correct/coherent information, as well done as it can be when the original date of joining the forum is lost.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

A few more obsevations:

The Ask a Question, which seems to have replaced the Search, seems to have lost the additional options.

This means that more specific searches, and all the additional options that were described here,

http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-1021

are lost.

The Search box mentioned in that Document is no longer there at all.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob, I think you are absolutely right. And while we are at it, why not also ask to have that info centered with respect to the avatar? Having avatar and info all left aligned looks very weird to me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

The info under the avatar actually did have "Since" in it, but it totally messed up the formatting and alingment, so has been taken out for now.

I"ll take a look at the search issues.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:26 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob, I believe that is how the Jive quick search works. When I use it I always use the See More Results button so that I get a full set of search results that I can return to. If you just select from the five items in the drop down box you will lose the search because you never left the page you were starting from, that is just an overlay on the current page.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

All of the video tutorials are out of date, as explained by the note in red at the top. I'll record new ones once the new interface is more stable.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to John Cornicello

Thank you, John.

You are right about the use of the word since. I just looked into my archive, and it was in the first line with the post count.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Dave, where are you seeing the legend like that with those items in it?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob, if you use the Discussions view of a forum (add ?view=discussions to the specific forum url) you can go to a message and then use the Back button to go back to where you were in the list, such as forums.adobe.com/forumname?view=discussions#/?page=4

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to adobe-admin

I have cleared all my caches in Explorer/Win7 to get rid of this:

Clutter.JPG

Unfortunately, I didn't.

And I have just noticed that I have no obvious way of getting to the last post of this thread. If, on the main page of this forum, I click in ther "Last post" (two weeks ago) button of this thread, I am taken to its opening message. If I click on the "Reply" button of the opening message, I'm taken here

Lasdt.JPG

(I have reported this several times). (Also notice that I am not getting any Advanced Editor button). And if I click on the Latest Reply button at the bottom of the opening message, I am taken back to the opening message. Hopeless.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

John,

If you just select from the five items in the drop down box you will lose the search because you never left the page you were starting from, that is just an overlay on the current page.

I believe you will have to make that clear somehow: most will expect to be somewhere else they can go back to when they have clicked on something that brought them away, and if they find what they expect among the few search results they have no reason to click to see more, so they will expect to be able to look through those. I did when I tried it.

I believe that is how the Jive quick search works.

Argh. Just argh.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

John Cornicello wrote:

The info under the avatar actually did have "Since" in it, but it totally messed up the formatting and alingment, so has been taken out for now.

I must say that the alignement of the info in the opening message is much better than that of subsequent ones:

Alignement.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

John,

you can go to a message and then use the Back button to go back to where you were in the list,

I know, and I do that, with the usual double use of the button. Was the disabling of the other, main option of clicking Up to the current forum part of a simplification?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Those all indicate cache issues to me. Advanced Editor is back.

As for getting to the last message, the link in the Last Post column goes to the message that was last modified. If someone has edited the original post and there have been no new replies yet, it will go to the original post. If you try it now, it should go to the last reply, as I haven't done any more edits to the initial post.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to Claudio González

I am not able to duplicate having the Last Reply link in the fist message take me back to that same message. It takes me to the last reply. Only thing I can think of there is that it might use the same logic to take you to the last message that was modified, and that at the point in time that you clicked on it that first message was the one that was last touched by the system.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to Claudio González

The post information appearing in italics again tells me that you are seeing old cached info. It should be a roman sans serif font, not italic, and smaller than that in your screen shot...

postnumber.png

How are you clearing the cache? I posted the instructions for XP/IE8, but I don't have the instructions for Win7 yet.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

John Cornicello wrote:

I am not able to duplicate having the Last Reply link in the fist message take me back to that same message. It takes me to the last reply. Only thing I can think of there is that it might use the same logic to take you to the last message that was modified, and that at the point in time that you clicked on it that first message was the one that was last touched by the system.

It seems that all this was related to your modification of the opening message. As I said, the Last Post button showed that this had been "posted" two weeks ago; that must refer to when you first posted it, not to when you modified it. And this left me trapped in your opening message. All is working as expected now, thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

John Cornicello wrote:

The post information appearing in italics again tells me that you are seeing old cached info. It should be a roman sans serif font, not italic, and smaller than that in your screen shot...

postnumber.png

How are you clearing the cache? I posted the instructions for XP/IE8, but I don't have the instructions for Win7 yet.

To your first point: it's not the italics that bother me; it's the left alignment. The centered alignment used in the opening message of each thread is much nicer looking.

To your specific question: I used the normal and easy way of going to Tools > Internet Options > General, and clicking on the Delete button of the History section, which took me to a list of things to eliminate. I selected just Cookies, and clicked on Deletebutton at the bottom of the popup window. Cookies were eliminated, because I had to login again in all the forums I frequent, including non-Adobe ones.

As you say that I am still using old cached information in spite of this, I will now try deleting cookies based on what you posted in the other thrad. If I succeed, I will post there how I did it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to Claudio González

I’m not saying that the italics bother you. But seeing italics there means you are not seeing the correct data.

The browser cache is not related to cookies or history. In IE8/XP you need to go to Tools > Developer Tools and then select to clear the full cache or only the current domain. I am hoping that it is similar in Win7.

John

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

Thanks for the clarification. In the meantime, I had done what you say in the other thread, and it worked (you can see that I am again posting in my beloved Verdana). I reported this in the other thread.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 4:02 PM   in reply to Claudio González

By the way, shouldn't we get rid of this by now?

Announcement.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to Claudio González

It lasts 24 hours and goes away on its own. Probably hasn’t hit the 24 hour mark yet.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 10:51 PM   in reply to John Cornicello

I do not quite see what the point is of having the Last Post Date and Modify Date twice...:

dup.PNG

One is clickable (leading to the last post in the topic), the other one is not.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 7:38 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

I guess it would be useful if the Last Post always pointed to the last post, and the Modify Date always pointed to the last modification in the thread. But as numerous examples show, if the Opening Message is modified, both the Last Post and the Modify Date point to the posting of the OP, when LP should point to the last post in the thread (with a link to that) and the MD should point to the time when the OP was last modified (with or without a link). This remains unchanged until a new message is posted (or a different post is modified ? I don't know).

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 1:28 AM   in reply to John Cornicello

http://forums.adobe.com/threads

John Cornicello wrote:

Dave, where are you seeing the legend like that with those items in it?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2012 3:55 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

I had the same issues of still seeing the post count in Italics in IE8, WIn7. Crleared cache and cookies in both internet options, and in the developer tools. Several times. It fixed itself only when I did a force refresh of the page: ALT+F5.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Well, I see the new forum update has broken all my Stylish & GreaseMonkey css hacks completely.

Apologies all. Probably best to just disable them. Actually, I must say that I like the look of the new forum a bit better than the old one at least!

EDIT: I did update the Red (Updated) style for Claudio.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to heavyboots

heavyboots wrote:

…I did update the Red (Updated)…

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to heavyboots

Too bad about the "Verdana Text" style though. 

|
    Mark as:
1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)