Skip navigation
Dave_May
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 for Mc

May 14, 2012 4:03 AM

Tags: #file #extension #problems

In the last week I upgraded and downloaded the NEW version of Photoshop extended and for the first few days it performed OK.

Today it has started to do something that I have never come across before, when I go to save a file, ie save a .psd file as a .jpeg file it says it will save it as a .dcm and I can only create a .jpeg file if I go down the list of file extensions and choose a totally unrelated file extension.

Can anyone please help me solve this problem.

regards

David May

Replies
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,052 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2012 5:18 AM   in reply to Dave_May

Hello!

You need to remove the link to the previous version's plug-in folder that you set in your preferences.

You need to point to a folder where you save your additional (third-party/non-adobe) plug-ins, and not the root of Photoshop Cs5's plug-in, as that imported the file formats as well, messing up your saving process.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to Dave_May

As long as you're loading the file format plugins from a previous version of Photoshop - you're going to continue having problems with the file format listing in the save dialog.

Turn off the optional plugins folder preference, and delete any Adobe plugins that you copied to the CS6 plugins folder.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 4:21 PM   in reply to Dave_May

You are still loading old plugins -- either through the plugins folder or the additional plugins preference.

You need to get rid of those duplicated, obsolete plugins.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 8:50 PM   in reply to Dave_May

Yes, searching the Photoshop plugins folder, and the additional plugins preference.

Or looking at Help -> System Info.

Somewhere, you are loading duplicate plugins from an older version of Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 9:19 PM   in reply to Dave_May

And as you can see from that, you're still loading a LOT of duplicate plugins that you copied from Photoshop CS5.

Let's do this the easy way: turn off the "additional plugins folder" preference in Photoshop's preferences - it's not needed.

Now go delete EVERYTHING in the Photoshop CS6 plugins folder (it installs empty anyway).

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 9:56 PM   in reply to Dave_May

Dave_May wrote:

…Can I now start to put back in the plugins that I need?…

NO !  Well, not by copying them from a previous version.  Install CS6-specific ones from the original media.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 10:09 PM   in reply to Dave_May

NO! Install the plug-ins as supplied by the third-party vendors, or from the Adobe folders installed by the CS6 installation, but not from previous installed versions of Photoshop.  Make sure they are CS6 compatible.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to Dave_May

The CS6 plugins are still there - there is no need to download them.

Again, the plugins folder starts out empty.

The Adobe plugins are in the required folder, and only your third party plugins go in the plugins folder.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 10:30 PM   in reply to Dave_May

Are you telling me you do not have the .dmg disk image of the CS6 installer you downloaded? 

If that is the case and you need plug-ins contained in the Optional Plug-Ins folder, or the Goodies folder, and if somehow you have deleted those optional folders from your CS6 install, then the answer is yes, you'll have to download the disk image from Adobe again.  The Adobe plug-ins are not available for downloading just by themselves.

In the case of third-party plug-ins, you need to get fresh, updated plug-ins from each vendor (such as Nik, OnOne, etc.).

Dave_May wrote:

…is there a way that I can just get the cs6 plugins in a download…

As I just said, no.

Dave_May wrote:

…a little annoyed about this… In the future I will NOT avail myself of the download option, I thought I was saving time and money, but all this has done is caused ,a loss of both…

Personally, I have always felt that not getting the physical install media in the box is a bad idea.

You didn't even burn your own install DVD from the downloaded dmg?    Ouch!  But I'm sure you will next time. 

Understand that we're users just like you.  You are not addressing Adobe officially here.  Even the Adobe engineers who volunteer their contributions here do so on their own time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 11:07 PM   in reply to Dave_May

By the way, I'm assuming the CS6 final version indeed has those Optional Plug-ins or Goodies folders I referenced.  I'm still using the beta, waiting for the process of claiming my complimentary CS6 final version to complete.

But, as Chris Cox has just told you, the required or normal plug-ins are already there, you have not deleted them.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 10:47 PM   in reply to Dave_May

Dave_May wrote:

…I cannot see a folder in Photoshop that is called "required", is it in the App folder or somewhere  else?…

Dave,

Let me re-phrase that for you:

"The Adobe plugins are in the required folder" = The Adobe plug-ins that are required for your Photoshop CS6 to function, are already in the appropriate folder, as required.  Better now?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 12:04 AM   in reply to station_two

Look, the whole Plug-ins folder situation in CS6 resulted from the fact that prior to CS6, there was a 'Plug-ins' folder hierarchy inside the Photoshop Folder that had both 3rd party and Adobe supplied plug-ins co-mingled in the same basic folder.

In the past that has caused problems because users had a tendency to install 3rd party plug-ins in the same folders as Adobe installed plug-ins.

In CS6, the thought was to simplify the folder structure so that Adobe installed plug-ins were "hidden" and 3rd party plug-ins could be installed in a simple 'Plug-ins' folder in the root of the Photoshop CS6 Folder.

Unfortunately, users didn't get the word...some freaked out when looking into the main 'Plug-ins' folder and not seeing all the main Adobe installed plug-ins decided to either copy an old Photoshop specific plug-ins folder into that folder (and found all sorts of undesirable results) or chose to click the option to include a separate folder as a legacy plug-ins folder in Preferences as an option–which is a really, REALLY bad idea unless you know exactly what you are doing–which few really do.

Bottom line?

If you have CS6, do NOT try to set CS5 or earlier 'Additional Plug-ins Folder' as the the source of 3rd party plug-ins unless you've already segregated 3rd party plug-ins from Adobe installed plug-ins

If you don't understand what I just wrote, then don't do ANYTHING other that downloading and installing, by regular installers, ANY 3rd party plug-ins...ok?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 12:29 AM   in reply to Dave_May

Dave,

Neither Jeff nor I are Adobe employees, nor do we pretend to speak for Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 12:34 AM   in reply to Dave_May

I don't know, Dave, I had no trouble figuring it out by going to "About Plug-in" in the Photoshop menu and realizing what plug-ins were already installed by default.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to station_two

What I did was to remove all the plugins that I had copied from my CS5 plugins folder (I deleted them to the trash as I had the original in my CS5 plugins folder). I then moved one plugin at a time from my trash can back to my CS6 plugin folder. I would restart Photoshop CS6 and try the "Save as..." command. If it came up with the right extension for the associated file type I would leave that plugin in the new CS6 plugins folder. I would continue to move plugins back into the CS6 plugins folder one at a time, restart Photoshop and test to see if it was causing the problem. I don't know if it was the process of copying them back from my trash can or not copying them from the CS5 plugins folder but they pretty much all work as expected without having to reinstall all the plugins from the original installer. I can now use the "Save As..." command without trying to figure out what type of file type to select to get the correct extension and at the same time all the plugins that I use work as expected.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to Jim Pater

Easier process: don't copy ANY plugins from a previous version of Photoshop.  Right now you probably still have conflicting plugins that could cause problems.

The only thing you should move over is third party plugins (and even those should be reinstalled instead of copying).

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 4:02 PM   in reply to Dave_May

Lens Profiles - best to ask in the ACR forum.  Unfortunately I don't know.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points