Skip navigation
justgeig
Currently Being Moderated

indesign cannot copy necessary linked files

May 24, 2012 5:19 AM

I've found a few threads on this issue and have tried trashing my preferences and it didn't work. The problem started as soon as we got a new NAS. We had been using an old Windows 2003 Server for many years and never were there any problems packaging. As soon as we started using this much more powerful and larger NAS, we suddenly can't package anything that has links residing on the NAS. Nothing has changed in our file structure, just the device being used to serve the files. The links reside on the network and are spread over a number of shared folders. Never had problems like this before getting the NAS. Any suggestions?

I know that this isn't strictly an InDesign problem but trying to explain the premise of InDesign packaging and links to a group of NAS forum guys hasn't been very fruitfu so farl so I thought I'd come at this from a different point of angle. Thanks to everyone in advance!

Edit: The NAS is a Synology Diskstation 1512+ with two 2TB drives. S.M.A.R.T. shows the drives to be in perfect working condition.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2012 5:47 AM   in reply to justgeig

What version of InDesign, what patch level, and what OS?

There were issues in the initial release of CS5 with links not packaging because of "illegal" characters in file or folder names. Path length may also be an issue, or possibly the protocol used for connecting.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 6:18 AM   in reply to justgeig

OK, the bug didn't affect Windows since the characters wouldn't have been allowed to begin with if the files didn't originate on a Mac, and it was fixed in the first patch, so that's done. I'm not really qualified to talk about network protocols and connectivity, but if you can package from a new location, I'd say ther's a problem inithe path statement.

Can you use the Copy Links To Folder and Relink To Folder commands to relink to a new forlder on the NAS and get it to package?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to justgeig

So are you saying the links are all showing as missing until you relink them? I'm guessing not, as I don't know how you'd embed them if they were. Are you able to use the copy links to folder command?

This just keeps sounding more and more like a path problem. Keep in mind that the link is an absolute path, so moving them to a new server is going to break that path. This is a fairly well discussed topic, and there may be some script to help with migration and path change, but you'll have to do some searching unless someone else pipes up.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to justgeig

Is it happening to all files, or just one?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

And the moved links continue to work after saving and closing? And they're also on the NAS? Very strange...

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to justgeig

That might make a differernce, or it might not. I can't say. Are you wired, or wirelessly connected? I've seen problems with reconnecting mapped drives on logon with wireless.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to justgeig

This has nothing to do with NAS or any other servers, but I found a simple solution that worked for me. One of my links had a slash in the name. Once I removed the slash and and relinked the file, everything packaged. Worth a try!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points