Skip navigation
MtnFin
Currently Being Moderated

Simplified field notation not working

May 23, 2012 7:26 AM

Tags: #field #calculation #subtraction #calculate #notation #simplified

My text fields are all titled with numbers, which I would argue is the best way to do it. (Especially for tab order and what we do.) Anyway, I absolutely cannot figure out how to do a simplified field notation (because I need subtraction) with my numbered text fields. Adobe is treating my text field names, which are numbers, as a simple mathematical formula, rather than calculating the value of that particular field. This is rather frustrating. Thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to MtnFin

Use field names like text01, text02, and so on.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to MtnFin

What did you use as type for the text fields.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to MtnFin

Try the format (type) Number.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to MtnFin

You have to select the format of "Number" and then you can select the currency symbol to display. The value of the field will only be the numeric value without the currency symbol. Having a field value with any symbol other than a number, coma, decimal, +, or - will cause the field to be considered a text string field and not a number field.

You have to use a non-numeric value for the start of a field name because the simplified field notation uses the non-numeric value to detect a field and not a numeric constant or operative symbol (+, -, *, /). You can also not call any function, use any field property or use any field method in the simplified field notation.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points