Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

5.1 ac3 audio plays and exports as stereo in CS6

May 23, 2012 7:18 PM

I am using the trial version of Premiere Pro CS6 at the moment. I am trying to create a short video that uses an 5.1 ac3 file that I created. I know the file is 5.1 because it plays through all the speakers on my WD TV HD Live media player, as well as through VLC Player on my computer. When I import the audio into Premiere Pro CS6, it plays as stereo. The same is true for audio from the video I imported. The video (from a Panasonic TM700 camcorder) also has 5.1 surround, but plays in stereo.

I went to Edit > Preferences > Audio and set the default audio tracks to 5.1. Under Audio Hardware, the only thing in the dropdown is Premiere Pro WDM Sound. I do not know what that is. My onboard sound card is Realtek High Definition Audio (on an Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard) and it works correctly as far as I can hear from all of my speakers.

Under Audio Output Mapping, there are only two channels listed. Again, Premiere Pro WDM Sound is the only option, and only the left and right speakers are in the list under that.

Does PrP CS6 not support my Realtek onboard sound? Why is it not listing all six channels?

Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2012 7:13 AM   in reply to eday_2010

I believe that you need a plugin to handle Dolby 5.1 (Minnetonka).  As in comes, CS6 will handle Dolby, but it down grades it to 2-channel stereo.  There may a trail period for use of 5.1, but I think even it down grades to stereo for output.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to Hindsight_Productions

The number of "trials" for the Minnetonka Audio SurCode DD 5.1 SS Encoder plug-in WAS three. Not sure if that has changed with CS 6. After that, one would need to purchase that SurCode plug-in, add in the S/N in the proper dialog box for the SurCode plug-in, and then DD 5.1 SS AC3 is unlimited.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to eday_2010

The choice is simple. Dolby charges licensing fees. You can include that in the basic program by adding the licensing cost to the price of $ 800, increasing it even further, or you can leave the choice to the user. Adobe chose the latter approach, because not everybody needs or wants 5.1 sound. Makes sense to me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Me too.  In 10 years of editing, I haven't used it yet.  I'd hate to have paid for it all those years.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

This has been an argument, discussed since at least PrPro 2.0.

Going back to about that point (when Minnetonka Audio offered a discount for PrPro users), Minnetonka Audio basically opened up their books to me, when I inquired about volume licensing. I do not recall the exact prices, or even the discount, but the Dolby Labs' charge was most of the cost, and Minnetonka Audio only made about US $50 per SurCode plug-in.

Now, with the Minnetonka Audio SurCode, one CAN use the DD logo, when certain criteria have been met. With most other 5.1 SS Encoders, they are NOT certified DD, so cannot legally display that logo. Sony, with their Vegas NLE's, seems to be an exception to that restriction. I am not sure what the legal issues are, but Sony does (or did) create DD 5.1 SS, with some of their programs. Perhaps some sort of "brother-in-law deal" with Dolby Labs?

To some editors, having fully legal DD logos is not important to them, or to their clients. In those cases, there are a few other methods (though somewhat convoluted), to Export 5.1 SS AC3's, just not DD-certified.

I used the DD 5.1 SS enough, that I bought a license for each computer, and felt that my $ was well-spent. As you, and others mention, paying the licensing fee to Dolby and Minnetonka Audio, if one never uses the SurCode plug-in alters the price-point of the program, and all users will be paying more, whether they derive any value, or not. To me, it has more than paid for itself.

It would akin to Adobe including the full Red Giant Magic Bullet Looks suite in their program. Price would go up, and many users would never need that, or want it.

If asked, my vote would be to keep things, as they are, and those who want/need the SurCode plug-in can buy it.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

I understand the thinking, but how do programs like Avid Studio ($129) offer 5.1 functionality?

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Avid-Studio

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to Hindsight_Productions

I do not know about Studio, but it could well be that their 5.1 SS Encoder is not Dolby Labs certified. Some other, consumer-level programs do that - 5.1 SS, but not DD 5.1 SS. Maybe someone from AVID can answer that question?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here is an excerpt from Avid's Studio specs (whihc identifies Dolby® Digital 2/5.1 channel audio):

Specifications

Input Options

• Capture from DV, HDV, and Digital8 camcorders or VCRs (requires a FireWire® port)
    • Capture from analog camcorders, 8 mm, HI 8, VHS, SVHS, VHS-C, SVHS-C, or VCRs (NTSC/PAL/SECAM) (requires Pinnacle or Dazzle video hardware)
    • Import from AVCHD* and other file-based camcorders, digital still cameras, mobile devices, and webcams

Import Formats 

• Video: AVCHD*, AVCHD Lite*, BD Blu-ray*, DV, HDV, AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, DivX®*, MPEG-4*, 3GP (MPEG-4, H.263)*, WMV, non-encrypted DVD titles (incl. DVD-VR/+VR), QuickTime® (DV, MJPEG, MPEG-4*, H.264*), DivX Plus® MKV*
    • Audio: MP3, MPA, M4A, WAV, AC3*, WMA
    • Graphic: BMP, GIF, JPG, PCX, PSD, TGA, TIF, WMF, PNG, J2K

Export Formats 

• AVCHD*, AVCHD Lite*, BD Blu-ray*, DVD (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW, dual layer)
    • Apple® iPod®, Sony® PSP/PS3, Nintendo® Wii, Microsoft® Xbox-compatible formats*
    • DV, HDV, AVI, DivX*, RealVideo® 8, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4*, Flash, 3GP*, WAV, MP2, MP3*, QuickTime®, MP4*, H.264*, YouTube HD*, DivX Plus MKV*
    • Dolby® Digital 2/5.1 channel audio*

Optional Accessories 

• DVD burner for creating DVD and AVCHD* discs
    • Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray discs*

* Requires free product activation via the Internet.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to Hindsight_Productions

how do programs like Avid Studio ($129) offer 5.1 functionality?

Here's how.

"We've partnered with fellow industry leaders to bring you over $2,000 in professional editing plug-ins and effects."

Maybe both companies are running some sort of promotion, or maybe this is a loss leader for them.  I don't work for either company, so I can only speculate as to the deal that was made.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to eday_2010

I think you activite the trial within Premiere Pro, and as Bill hunt mentioned, it works three times and then asks for an activiation code.

BTW, Bill, Avid Studio includes Magic Bullett Looks too.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to eday_2010

24-5-2012 20-47-51.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to eday_2010

Be aware that the export option shown in the screen grab is MPEG2-BR, not H.264-BR. The Minnetonka plug-in and/or Adobe still has problems in combination with H.264-BR, but they are working on that.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to eday_2010

This will be a function of your Project's Master (set that to 5.1), and then your hardware, plus its settings, and he Audio Hardware/ASIO settings in PrPro. One does not need the Minnetonka Audio SurCode DD 5.1 SS Encoder plug-in to monitor 5.1 Audio - just to Export that.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to Hindsight_Productions

WOW! A US $129 NLE, that has $800 worth of Red Giant plug-ins, plus $295 in Dolby-certified Encoding software. That is an amazing "loss leader!"

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to eday_2010

Also check the Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware, and also the ASIO settings.

If all else fails, you might want to look into ASIO4All. That driver has fixed many problems for a lot of people - some with on-board sound, and some with heavy-hitting esoteric pro gear.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to eday_2010

You are most welcome.

I went with it some years back, when I had the same problem with my audio card. Someone on the Audition Forum pointed me to it. It gets mentioned a lot there.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to eday_2010

OK, unless things have changed, when one chooses to Export to MPEG (and Audio only in this case), one should be taken to the SurCode tab from Options, when Dolby Digital is chosen in Adobe Media Encoder (AME). The three (unless that has changed) trial usages are from within PrPro.

Now, I did see a "trial" listed on one of the pages at Minnetonka Audio, but am not sure what that is, or if it pertains.

Besides the SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in for PrPro, Minnetonka Audio offers many other Encoders, though most are stand-alones.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to eday_2010

I do not know of a DTS plug-in, but Minnetonka Audio sells a DTS stand-alone.

I edit a 5.1 Project, then output the Audio to WMA-multi-channel, which I bring into Audition in Multi-Track Mode. There I tweak it, and output as 6 discrete WAV files, which Import into the DTS Encoder.

Slightly longer workflow, but the sound is astounding, and better than DD 5.1 SS AC3.

Now, remember that DTS is not a primary Audio source for DVD, so can ONLY be supplemental. I include a Menu to allow the user to choose either the primary Audio, or the supplemental DTS. On most players, one can also make that selection via the remote control.

Good luck, and maybe other will know of a DTS plug-in, but I have never found one.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

Thank you for that first link. I had not seen that.

I've been using the Minnetonka Audio SurCode DTS for some years, and have been happy, so maybe I just stopped looking?

Appreciated,

Hunt

[Edit] Dude, you are either up very early, or staying up late...

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I'm NEVER up early.

But I am frequently a night owl.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

DTS is not a primary Audio source for DVD

That should probably read DTS is not a mandatory audio stream for DVD, you do need either PCM or DD in addition to DTS.  But DTS can be set as the default audio stream.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 10:13 PM   in reply to eday_2010

For Blu-ray it's a different story.  DTS can be the only audio stream.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points