Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 icons sometimes do not appear on Macintosh

Sep 3, 2012 12:08 PM

Tags: #missing #macbook #mac_os_x #desktop_icons

Yes, this is a question.

I've been using my trial of Photoshop CS6 Extended for 10 days now. I have run into a peculiar problem - when saving a file Photoshop does not display any sort of icon. No thumbnail, no generic, nothing. It's not a huge problem, I can always open the image but not by double-clicking on the icon: it's just not there.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a resolution to it - or is it just a bug? I didn't have this problem with the beta version and I've repaired all permissions on my hard drive to see if that was the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Clinton

Replies 1 2 3 ... 17 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to clinton_dyches

Hey Clinton,

Do you have some kind of Alpha Masks used in the Photoshop images by chance??

<< Photoshop does not contain anything called an "alpha mask">>

Thanks

Mandhir

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to clinton_dyches

It could be something like messed up registry entries (or file associations on MacOS), or a bad thumbnailing program, or problems interpreting transparency, alpha channels, etc.  So we're going to need more information.

Which OS version are you using?

Do you have any third party utilities that create thumbnails for PSD files or other image formats?

Do the files include transparency, or alpha channels?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 11:21 PM   in reply to clinton_dyches

MacOS does have known bugs creating thumbnails for files that contain alpha channels (some intern at Apple confused them with transparency), so that could mess up some files.

But JPG files shouldn't be a problem, or PNG.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to clinton_dyches

Clinton, I'm experiencing what sounds like the identical problem (running Mac OSX 10.6.8) ...

- It happens with .jpg, .png, .tif,.psd and Photoshop .pdf files - and therefore is not related to alpha channels

- No other app on any of the Macs in our shop, running either Snow Leopard and Lion has - or has ever had - this problem

- Re-opening the files and re-saving in the same format using any other graphics utility (Preview, Graphic Converter, AND Photoshop CS4! creates the icon successfully.

- Deleting the .DS_Store files for any given directory does not eliminate the problem

- Repairing disk permissions does not eliminate the problem

Only thing I haven't tried yet is rebuilding the entire volume in DiskWarrior - that is next.

I created 7 identical copies of the same stock photo in different file formats (.tif, .jpg, png, psd, .pdf) - Only #6 (re-opened in Preview and re-saved) and #7 (saved in Illustrator CS6) are displaying file icons.

Would love some real help from Adobe on this...

UPDATE TO THIS POST

Deleting the .DS_Store files for directory and restart appears to solve the problem...

Message was edited by: jeff@seaver.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to jeff@seaver.com

Deleting .DS_Store means you cleared the OS cache for thumbnails, which means you are seeing a problem in the OS thumbnailing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 12:22 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Thanks, Chris - apparently PS6 is very sensitive to OSX caching for thumbnails. I've had to use a utility to clear out the display settings for pretty much my entire hard drive, and after a restart, the icons are being created correctly. Unfortunately, I had 600GB of content with hundreds of thousands of folders, so it's a pain to have to do this. As I mentioned earlier, no other app in our Applications folder creates files with this problem (and I have over 350 apps installed) - and in fact none of the other CS6 apps I tried fails to create icon previews either.

A good utility for clearing DS_Store files en masse is Onyx. I also think Snow Leopard (aka Lion) Cache Cleaner does this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to jeff@seaver.com

jeff@seaver.com wrote:

...apparently PS6 is very sensitive to OSX caching for thumbnails...

It is not apparent to me what this means. Can you explain? Which is writing to .DS_Store: the OS or Photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Please read in context of previous posts - I'm speculating that the problem of PS6 not creating icon thumbnails, while it is being blamed on Apple's OS, it is the only app we own having the problem of saving new files that don't have thumbnail icons - and that this may imply that PS6 doesn't "play well" in the sandbox with the way Apple's OS caches (stores) the files that govern any given directories' appearance. Hope that's a help - and if you're not having the problem, congratulations and no need to worry about it! :-)

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Only the OS writes to .DS_Store -- that's where MacOS stores thumbnails, metadata, etc.

Somehow MacOS is not creating thumbnails correctly all the time , and wiping out the thumbnail cache forces it to recreate the thumbnails.

Photoshop doesn't do anything out of the ordinary when saving files, but we'll have to follow up with Apple to see why their thumbnailing might fail like that.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to jeff@seaver.com

My confusion regards your use of the word "sensitive". I would imagine that it would be OS X/Finder that is sensitive.

I have read the context of these posts and that is why I asked for clarification on what has not yet been described.

Are you writing icon previews with Photoshop or are all previews being generated solely by OS X? ( Photoshop Preferences->File Handling->Icon ) What happens when you toggle this? When you did your test for (.tif, .jpg, png, psd, .pdf), did you use Save for Web on JPG/PNG?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris,

are you suggesting I delete the .DS_Store so I can restore my thumbnails. If so how would I do that. Where is .DS_Store and are there different .DS_Store's that I shouldn't touch.

I'm on a Mac version 10.7.4 on a 2 x 2.8 GHzQuad-Core Intel with occasional icons showing up after awhile.

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to marc123B90

Chris Cox had it right - clearing out the appearance settings solved the PS6 thumbnail icon issue for me.

Every folder on a Mac for which one has established a specific appearance (View>Show View Options, or Cmd-J) creates an invisible .DS_Store file within that folder, aka directory. It's not much fun to try, one at a time, to a) make them visible, and then b) trash them -  as there can end up being thousands.

There are several utilities that can batch remove these files - I used Onyx for Mac. I think File Buddy may also do this, Snow Leopard (or Lion) Cache Cleaner may have this capability - suprisingly, Mac Pilot didnt seem able to). There is also a Terminal command to perform this on an individual folder (directory), but I didn't know how to batch run it to clear out every directory on my hard drive, so I used my utilities to do so. Once Onyx was done removing all the .DS_Store files on my hard drive, I restarted and voila - Photoshop CS6 now saves every file with thumbnails that can expand from 16x16 to 128x128 (and on up, depending on your OS).

It does require that you re-set appearances on certain folders (icon view for folders of images, date-sorted lists for versioned documents, column view for for fast scanning of nested hierarchies, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to jeff@seaver.com

Thank you Jeff!

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to jeff@seaver.com

I couldn't find an option in Onyx to delete .DS_Store files. Would you know where it is. Here is a screenshot of the program.

Thank you in advance.

Marc

Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 5.57.40 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:03 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

...DS_Store -- that's where MacOS stores thumbnails...

I thought DS_Store was only recorded preferences for display of the particular Finder window (list view or icon view, window size, window position, etc).

When we delete (refresh) DS_Store, are we not just resetting the folder preferences to display/generate thumbnail previews stored elsewhere (resource fork/extended attributes/etc)?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to marc123B90

Sorry, it's not that obvious....

I'm running 10.6.8 and Onyx is OS-version-specific so there "could" be small variations if, for instance, you're in Lion.

Launch Onyx

Go to Maintenance heading

Click Rebuild tab

Third radio box down is √ Display of folders' content

Use the Select button at right and choose your hard drive (which is, effectively, / on the path)

Enable the "This folder and all its sub-folders" radio button

If you don't want to mess with all the other rebuilding options, DE-select:

LaunchServices

dyld's shared cache

Spotlight Index

Mail Envelope Index

Sidebar of Finder windows

Help Viewer menu

Click on Execute button lower right

Requires a restart to see results, but open PSCS6 and re-save or create a new image file to the desktop - let me know if it works for you too.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Yes, I think Chris meant this is the only setting we have control over, but you're right, thumbnails themselves are not stored in .DS_Store  - only our display prefs for that particular folder (directory). If you're having this same problem, try the techniques outlined to remove (and rebuild) all these files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 6:22 PM   in reply to jeff@seaver.com

Thank you again Jeff.

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 11:46 PM   in reply to clinton_dyches

As Mac OS X is responsible for writing the .DS_Store file, this would be an Apple issue.

DS_Store is not growing. It is just corrupting. DS_Store tells the system whether it should display icons and at what size. There is no indication that this file actually contains image data or anything that would grow.

Deleting/refreshing DS_Store only treats a symptom. The problem is with some OS X process corrupting these DS_Store files. So it is probable that the issue will happen again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to clinton_dyches

I used the program DS_Store Cleaner and I am seeing the icons for the files in the finder but within Photoshop when I select open the icons are missing. See screenshot. This either means the program I used didn't do the trick or it's PhotoShop or it OSX Lion. Either way I wonder if I should now use the program I was originally suggested to use, OnyX

Screen Shot 2012-05-25 at 10.49.32 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to marc123B90

Hi Marc -

This looks like a screenshot from the mini-Bridge, on Lion? Sorry, I can't answer for Lion because I haven't tested this on our Lion machines - but the Onyx solution did, as I reported, solve the problem for me in Snow Leopard - but there's no reason DS Store Cleaner shouldn't have done every bit as good a job. Deleting these files is a simple script, it ain't rocket science.

As helpful as Chris C.'s input has been, I am suspicious about ladling all the blame on the Mac OS, for two reasons - one, no other app I have (and I have hundreds) is having this problem, two, I can replicate the problem on several machines with PSCS6, and the second second reason, hopefully without causing offense because as I said Chris C. was helpful and for me, nailed the problem - Adobe does have a tendency to, whenever in doubt, blame Apple (I was a tester with Adobe for the first few CS versions and heard this time and again) until shown otherwise. While the solution may be to dump these appearance files, I'm a bit skeptical as it does not explain why they would all-of-a-sudden become "corrupted"  at the moment we upgrade to PSCS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to marc123B90

The thumbnails in the open dialog are provided by the OS (as is most of the open/save dialog).  So there is still a problem with the OS creating or displaying thumbnails.

It's not a matter of blaming Apple without reason, just that Apple has an awful lot of bugs in the OS that don't get fixed very quickly.

Here we know that the OS is responsible for the thumbnails, that clearing the OS cache of thumbnail and metadata fixes it for some people, and that even after that the OS can't always draw the thumbnails when it is supposed to.  I have no idea why that would be worse in some applications than others - but the OS is clearly failing to draw thumbnails, and that's not something that Photoshop has any control over.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to jeff@seaver.com

The screenshot is from the OS open dialog within Photoshop within Lion and not mini-bridge. Thank you Jeff for replying and your help. I think I will run OnyX as well and see if that improves my situation.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to jeff@seaver.com

After running OnyX as suggested all my icons in Photoshop open command are very tiny? Any suggestions on how to get them larger?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to marc123B90

Hre is the example of my icons very small.

Screen Shot 2012-05-25 at 2.21.25 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to marc123B90

Okay, I have tham same problem but in a diffrent way. I'm working on two computers, one older Mac Pro running Tiger with Adobe cs4 and a new Mac Pro running Lion 10.7.4. running Adobe cs6. Both computers are on a large Xsan so I'm saving files to the same folder on the Xsan from both machines.

If I create a Photoshop file (any- jpg png psd tiff. etc....) I can see the preview icon in a folder on the New Mac but when I open the same folder on the old Mac I can't see the preview icon

See example:example.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to digxdsn

That tells us that the problem is with MacOS, and that somehow it is getting confused about the thumbnails/previews for those files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I don't want to blame Apple or to blame Adobe. I don't care to blame anyone.

I'm interested in is a solution or a work around. Deleted the .ds_store didn't solve it for me the problem returned the next day.

If anyone has any good suggestions please let me know.

PS. Chris do you know if Adobe is in discussions with Apple about this problem and when we might see a fix. Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to marc123B90

We don't yet have enough information to file a bug with Apple.

We need reproducable steps before Apple will investigate.

So we're continuing to try this and see if we can come up with reproducable steps - but we're having trouble reproducing it ourselves. There may be other factors involved.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Is there anything from my system that I can privately send to you to help you evaluate the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 4:33 AM   in reply to marc123B90

So here we are blaming Apple and still not fixing the problem.

Amazing how opening the same file in CS5 and saving saves an icon.

The fact that CS6 won't do this is somehow now Apples problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to digxdsn

Okay.... I did another expariment..... In the new Mac Pro I saved the same photoshop file in version 5.1 and I see the preview in the old Mac Proexample 2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to digxdsn

So far after rebulding the .ds_store I have an icon when saving from CS6.

But being that CS6 appears to being doing something different than CS5 I have my doubts that that is a long term answer.

10.6.8 here.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 17 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points