Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Building a pc and using CS6 Master Suite

May 24, 2012 1:42 PM

hello all.  I have been skimming thru the forum and found a lot of good enties about hardware but in my case I dont have a solid budget and looking to build a better than average rig.

Currently I used almost all the apps that come with the master suite, and getting into using AE and Premiere more and more but noticed how long the rendering process is.

My current setup is:

i7 920 @ 2.67GHz

8GB RAM

Quadro 4000 GPU

I got the ok to spec out some new hardware and looking to possible setup a dual-xeon setup (1 to start and add the 2nd later) and a mobo that supports a ton of RAM (which i think will help with the rendering).

what would you guys recommend for a board/cpu setup that can accomodate with room to make some real upgrades?

thanks in advance.

Ren

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to rsukhram@tgioa.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 9:51 AM   in reply to rsukhram@tgioa.com

GPU's - Maximus Configuratio using a Quadro 4000 + Tesla C2075

Do you use 10 bit monitors? If not you can save around € 2700 by getting a GTX 560Ti instead AND get at least the same performance. Even better get a GTX 670. Maximus is highly overrated and will not work when used in a dual CPU setup like you are planning (at least according to HP). I would use the saving on faster Xeons, like the E5-2687.

PSU - Antec TruePower Quattro 1200

An alternative is the Corsair AX1200.

**Primary System Drive - SDD either Samsung 830 (256GB) or Crucial M4 (512GB) or OCZ Agility 4 (256GB)

- not sure which SSD would be best to load the OS plus all apps.  I have secondary larger drives which I would use to store all completed projects

I would consider in order Corsair Performance Pro 256, Samsung 830, and then the Crucial M4 or Intel 520 and at the very bottom of the list OCZ.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to rsukhram@tgioa.com
    **Primary System Drive - SDD either Samsung 830 (256GB) or Crucial M4 (512GB) or OCZ Agility 4 (256GB)

I agree with Harm. Although the OCZ Agility 4 uses an Indilinx controller based on Marvell silicon, it is hampered by its use of asynchronous NAND flash memory (the other SSDs recommended by Harm all use synchronous or even faster toggle NAND flash memory).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to rsukhram@tgioa.com

I've sent you a PM. Also have a look at Adobe Forums: Planning / building a new system. Part 1

A configuration like this will easily eat up your budget.

What is wise? I think it mostly depends on your use of Blender. If that is a sizeable portion of your work, then a dual Xeon setup makes sense but it will take a significant bite out of your budget, because not only are the CPU's expensive, but also the motherboard. If the majority of your work is with Adobe programs and Blender is only a side-line, then I would definitely suggest a single i7-3930K or 3960X, overclocked. Far less expensive and the side benefit is a less expensive motherboard as well. For the video card I would opt for either a GTX 670/4GB or the 680/4GB or continue using your Quadro 4000. Memory at 64 GB is a given.

That leaves the disk setup and in my experience that accounts for around 50% or even more of the total budget if you include the raid controller, BBM and cache memory.

You can spend $ 8K, so it goes either to the CPU's and mobo and leaves the disk setup the step-child, or it goes more to disk setup and leaves you few choices with regards to the CPU. I don't use Blender, so in my case the disk setup would have more priority, but things may be different for you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points