Skip navigation
irsmun7
Currently Being Moderated

Trying to do a knockout with text.

May 24, 2012 2:01 PM

I admittedly am an amature illustrator user. I have only used it for a week now. I do have experience in photoshop so the learning curve was ok.

I want to create a vector logo so I cannot use photoshop. I know how to do what I want to do in photoshop but not in illustrator.  I need to do a knockout on a letter of text combine all objects together as one so I have a single vector file with transparency in the appropriate places.

logo.jpg

There are 6 elements in this graphic: clean, green, text on bottom left, text on bottom right, the arrow on the "g" and another "g" (in white behind the green making it appear as a knockout).

Visually this works as long as you have a white background since the rear "g" is in white. There is a white stroke around that "g" creating the knockout effect. What I have been trying to do for the last 2 days is combine all of these elements into one object with everything white being transparent. I am frustrated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to irsmun7

Outline stroke is what you're looking for - it will take the stroke around the "g" and make it into a compound path that you can then use with the pathfinder to chop off your "n"  Holler back if you need more detail.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to irsmun7

Have you already explored AI's Pathfinder?

There are several ways to get what you want. A Knockout group would be an alternative, for example, but since you're saying you're a newcomer I wouldn't recommend that route as it takes some more knowledge.

Start with Pathfinder.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to irsmun7

Type -> Create Outlines of your g and your n, (if you haven't already)

Select your "g" and Object -> Path -> Outline Stroke.  This will leave you with a group containing your stroke (now a compound path) and your fill.

Ungroup them.

Put your outlined stroke above your N in the layers panel. (not essential, but if it's not the next step is different)

Select your outlined stroke and your n and from the pathfinder panel, "exclude" (top row, far right)

This will give you a group containing your cut shapes.  Ungroup.  Delete outlined stroke. Profit.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to irsmun7

Select all the elements, right click, group. Incidentally you can right click, (Option-click on a Mac) and isolate the group. This allows you to edit individual pieces of the graphic without having to un-group. You may say "how does that save time?" It don't. It allows you to make edits without effecting any other elements in your graphic. This will become painfully evident when you combine several graphics together in an layout. I use the select by color tool, (Y on the keyboard shortcut list) and then the (I keyboard short cut) copy attributes all the time. You will see the need to isolate the graphic in time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to irsmun7

You can't have them as "one object" with different fills.  You can have them as a group, as mojo said.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points