Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 takes my After Effects clips offline.

May 24, 2012 3:37 PM

Tags: #error #offline #pro #premiere #link #dynamic #de-link

Hello,

I'm running a Mac Pro 5,1 with 32 gigs of memory and an Nvidia Quadro 4000. I have a timeline contaning nothing but After Effects compositions that reside in three or four different AE project files. All were imported into AE CS6 from CS5.5 (it's a long-term project).

Here's the problem:

When I open Premiere Pro CS6 it takes a long time to populate the Project Panel and timeline with the AE linked clips. Some clips never populate and are replaced with red or yellow "media offline" placeholders. To speed playback, on the rare occasion I get a linked clip in every section of the timeline I try to render the clips. Some work and score a green bar (though clips with lots of effects take extremely long to render). Several render only partially before returning a "compiling error" message.  When this happens, others that were linked and rendered can suddenly go offline. Sometimes the entire timeline becomes red placeholders.

A reboot and reopening of Pr used to fix this, albeit without giving every previously-rendered clip a green "rendered" status. Now the project rarely finds even a majority of the clips. None have been moved or renamed and all open up in After Effects. Going back and selecting a clip to relink it can work occasionally, but on several occasions has also caused neighboring clips to drop offline.

This is really the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my CS6 problems of the past week. If I could just get my timeline up and showing green bars for segments I've already rendered then I would at least feel stuck in place, rather than going backwards.

Can anyone help?

Thanks much,

Gene

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2012 5:42 PM   in reply to genefama

compositions that reside in three or four different AE project files.

That has caused issues in the past.  Best to keep all comps for any given PP project in one AE project.

And don't use any real numbers in either the comp name or the project name.  If you must use numbers, spell them out - Comp One, Comp Two, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 6:05 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Actually, this problem is alleviated in CS6 PrP. In the Pref menu the option for PrP/AE to ignore sequential numbering in dynamic link files is checked by default. So all those crazy issues we had with DL between PrP and AE are a thing of the past. Ive been testing it for a while and see no evidence of the old problem in my work. Its so cool this was fixed!

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 6:46 PM   in reply to genefama

I think it needs to be checked. Read it and do what it suggests 

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 8:45 PM   in reply to genefama

No, you are cool. My mistake. The pref setting is in After Effects...

Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 8.28.00 PM (0;00;00;00)_00004.jpg

The fact that you are using preexisting dynamic link relationships set in a CS5 PrP/AE  project might be an issue if this doesnt resolve your problem.

I would try creating a new blank PrP project that matches the sequence setting of your old project then try..

1. Import the old PrP project and copy/paste into that new clean PrP sequence.

2. Just import the old PrP sequence and open it to see if all is well

3. You might have to relink your AE DL sequences if you get the "No Media". display.

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 10:41 PM   in reply to genefama

I help it helps.

Yes, they do monitor and usually will chime in.

Based on my experience with CS6 over the last several months, Jims comment...

That has caused issues in the past.  Best to keep all comps for any given PP project in one AE project.

And don't use any real numbers in either the comp name or the project name.  If you must use numbers, spell them out - Comp One, Comp Two, etc.

is not necessary anynore. You can have each AE dynamically linked clip be its own project. In fact now its better to do it that way. And nameing is not the same issue it used to be either. Things are much simplified and solid in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to genefama

Try deleting all your cache and preview files for both PrP and AE. Google if you dont know where they are. Busy morning 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to genefama

Hey,

I do not know if my solution will work for you. I have CS5.5 on MacBook Pro (2.2Ghz i7, 8GB ram, OSX 10.7.4) and I had bunch of clips where I had to stabilize them in AE. I used Dynamic Link for that. I didn't find any solution online.

I work on dual monitors so that's why these screenshots below look weird.

First I did, I opened an AE file, with dynamic links. I had 2 of them (2 projects). [somebody gave a good tip to keep all Dynamic Links in 1 AE project]

Second, I marked all the Dynamic Links which could not be found in PrP. I marked them in the files window.

Then I right click on them and "Link Media" BUT, I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE. PrP found the files itself. So I clicked "Cancel" in the window which popped up.

I don't know if there has to be that order of doing this. I was doing that first time and this is how I did it. Actually by accident.

ohhh. now I see it was in May... sorry, probably you don't need it any more...

Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.41.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.41.18 PM (2).pngScreen Shot 2012-08-22 at 1.41.39 PM (2).png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to genefama

Hi, I just wanted to confirm this problem. I am running constantly into this on my current project. Also, Premiere is freezing quite often while doing the "replace with After Effects Composition" without getting the material over to AE. And it is doing conformings over and over again.

The setting:

CS6, Premiere and After Effects.

Windows 7, 64bit

The Project: 96 min film in Premiere. About half the shots are replaced with AE comps.

All comps are handled in the same AE project because of shared Precomps and assets.

It gets increasingly unstable. Premiere freezes mulitple times a day.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2013 6:19 PM   in reply to andi_urra

Ok I also am experiencing an issue similar to this. It is directly related to the title of this thread, so I thought I would put it in here.

Everytime I start up my project in premiere, all my footage loads, but wherever there is a dynamic linked after effects composition I just get the yellow "media pending graphic". If I attempt to relink these compositions to the original after effects project (there is only 1 project with about 7 comps in it), premiere just plainly freezes, and my only option is to force quit it.

If I try to reimport that after effects project it freezes, and i have to force quit.

I tried creating another after effects project with just a simple piece of text in 1 composition and then importing that, and it comes up with the dialogue box "import after effects compositions" but then it just does nothing but show a "connectin gto dynamic link server" progress bar that never does anything.

On other occasions, when I try to do any form of dynamic link import premiere just freezes, and I have to force quit.

So there seems to be some issue for me with dynamic link, that has recently occured.

Can this be due to any After effects Scripts I have recently installed? Can they have an affect on dynamic link?

SOLUTION:

I have found a solution, but this is not ideal in case I had multiple After effects projects in premiere.

I can open the 1 after effects project first, and then when I open premiere it links to the project and the individual compositions seemlessly.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2013 6:48 PM   in reply to RickerC

An update to this though, is that if I close the after effects project, then I lose all my connections in premiere and premiere consequently freezes and I have to force quit.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points