Skip navigation
JasonJiva
Currently Being Moderated

Interactive brochures for a sales team: confused over capabilities.

May 24, 2012 12:30 PM

Tags: #app #dps #ipad #folio #interactive #digital_publishing_suite #indesign_cs6

I have CS6 Cloud Subscription (thanks, Adobe). I would like to offer a client to take their existing print brochures (say 8) and turn them into iPad/iPhone/Android apps. The brochures do not need to be on Apple's App Store/Android's/etc.

Questions:

How do I get the apps to their devices? Do I have to buy Single/Pro/Enterprise licenses?

Is there a time limit the apps can be viewed on their devices?

If a prospective client of theirs (say a doctor) would like the brochure on his/her device, is that possible? I guess if the company would like to have their brochure on the App Store, I can use a Single license (with all brochures in one Folio)?

Overall, I'm wondering if I can make these brochures interactive in InDesign CS6 then sent out for sales reps to download to their devices, hopefully at no additional cost(s) than my Cloud Subscription.

Thank you.

~J~

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to JasonJiva

You can share them via the Adobe Content Viewer. The recipients will need to have a verified Adobe ID.

I would not count on a sales brochure being approved by Apple.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to JasonJiva

The Adobe Content Viewer is available on all supported platforms (iPhone/iPad in a universal binary, Android marketplace, and Amazon Appstore).

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to JasonJiva

And how are they supposed to do that? You can’t just bypass the app store.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to JasonJiva

Those viewers self-destruct after 3 months if I’m not mistaken.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 5:10 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, could you please expand on the above point, and the earlier post where you say "I would not count on a sales brochure being approved by Apple."?

When you say the viewers self destruct, do you mean the .folio disappears from the Adobe Content Viewer?

And in terms of sale brochures not being approved, isn't a stand-alone app (created with a single edition licence) that's used as a sales promotion tool a valid process?

I know it'll probably change next week, but a general idea of where the goal posts might be next week would be helpful

Thanks,

Simon.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 6:08 PM   in reply to Angusdog

The content viewer that you can create is done with your mobile provisioning file. AFAIK, it’s only good for 3 months.

Apple has strict guidelines on what is acceptable for an app and a sales brochure may or may not fit into their requirements. One thing for sure, it should have interactivity or it could be rejected for being too book like.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 3:42 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Could you explain what you mean by "it's only good for 3 months."?

Are you talking about the app or the folios, or are you talking about the folios within Adobe Content Viewer? Do you mean that when someone downloads them onto their device, the app or folio disappears after three months? I haven't been able to find any docs on the shelf life on apps or folios (in finished apps OR in ACV).

I would like to know specifics on how long apps and folios stay on peoples' devices after they're downloaded, both in single edition and multiple edition apps. How about when someone downloads it through ACV? Do those folios, if they're not published, stay on the device forever until they archive it?

Some projects I work on extend to longer than three months due to the FDA regulatory system and our own internal regulatory sign-offs. Therefore, folios created and viewed in ACV are needed in order to test out a lot of pieces that need multiple outlets of approval. This sometimes takes months. I'm concerned if these folios have a shelf life within ACV.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to cheesenub

Bob's talking about the development .ipa file you create with Viewer Builder. That lasts 3 months (or 1 year I believe if you have an Apple Enterprise account). Folios remain indefinitely in the Adobe Content Viewer and in branded apps that appear in the store (distribution apps). It's not exactly true that they stay on the device forever. When the iOS version is updated, for example, it might be necessary to re-download issues.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points