Skip navigation
pvjr48
Currently Being Moderated

Folio Size

May 24, 2012 9:01 AM

Hello all,

I am looking into Adobe DPS for a someone who works for a publishers. One of the issues that has been raised when weighing up wether to commit to a DPS licence, for their multiple titles, is the large download file sizes.

Have there been any general developments in this area that help towards reducing size while maintaining the content quality and multimedia flexibility.

I have read a few previous posts on how you should approach inserting images and general good house keeping etc, but I get the impression that if you want to take advantage of the multimedia aspects the huge download sizes are invevitable.

Could anyone advise, as the potential contract would be quite substantial.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to pvjr48

What kind of developments did you have in mind?

If you add 200 megs of video to a folio it’s going to be large.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to pvjr48

a couple of things might keep it down for you

only do 1 orientation, for some stupid reason, you could have a portrait article of 10mb, and a horizontal article of 10mb but if you have a dual orientation folio, its 30mb, for some reason it's not just adding them together, it puts more weight on?

compress your video and music dramatically

use interactivity sparingly, make it more about user experience as a pose to overwhelming them!

Cheers

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to pvjr48

Have you considered using HTML?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to pvjr48

It is possible to create an article using HTML.

You can create it in any HTML editor such as Dreamweaver. The file sizes are minuscule and the text is live and flowable.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to pvjr48

If you are only targeting iPad devices, switch to PDF for your folio format. You will get file sizes comparable to HTML.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to pvjr48

Yes, HTML is self contained and PDF is unsupported on anything other than iOS devices.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 11:57 PM   in reply to pvjr48

IMO Placing large size contents like video, maps etc. as online web content will decrease the folio size. Disadvantage is the reader will have to be online to enjoy the pub. In case of dual orientation pubs, placing some resource hungry contents in landscape only mode and directing readers to rotate the device will also keep the size down. I think best practice is to put interactivity only where it is needed and looks good... It is a publication we are designing... Not a video game...lol

This is my first post and I hope I am correct...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points