Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Re: Can't open CS5.5 in CS6 (branched)

May 25, 2012 5:17 AM

(Branched this thread from Can't open CS5.5 in CS6)

I have the same problem. I've been working with CS5.5 for 1 year. Know, I've upgrade to CS6 and I can't open my CS5.5 files.

This files are mine (not of a partner), I've made it so I can't understand whats wrong. I can open some CS5.5 files.

I think it's an Adobe problem.

I'm gonna try to see what kind of fonts have my documents.

Branched from an earlier discussion.

Replies
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    May 25, 2012 3:53 AM   in reply to javier.arizcuren

Javier: Try answering all the questions we asked Richard.

Do you have a crash report?

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    May 25, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to javier.arizcuren

It's very difficult to get useful error reports under Windows.

Your report seems to suggest something to do with hyperlinks:

Sig[3].Name=Nombre del módulo con errores

Sig[3].Value=HYPERLINKS.RPLN

But it is hard to say.

If I try to uninstall and use the CS Cleaner tool?

Go ahead. It will not hurt. I do not know if it will help. But it will do no harm.

Can you export your CS5.5 file to IDML in CS5, and then open the IDML in CS6?

Can you try to narrow the problem? You can try working on a copy of the file in CS5.5 and deleting/removing parts until you can determine what causes the crash in CS6. You mention hyperlinks and cross-references, so they may be a place to start.

Can you share a file with us?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2012 5:30 AM   in reply to javier.arizcuren

Are you trying to open these files though the book panel? Will they open individually from File > Open...?

You mentioned Cross-Refences and Hyperlinks. Are the links across documents?

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to javier.arizcuren

Working with books is more complex than working with a stand-alone file, and if you have cross-file links that makes things even more problematic. Inter-document cross-references have been described as "fragile" to put things politely, and most experienced users these days seem to advise against using them.

I've not tried to update a Book from one version to another for several years, if at all (memory on that is a bit vague), but if I were going to do so now I would absolutely export each of the component files to .idml or .inx, depending on the original version, then I would open those in the new version, save with new names, and build a new Book. This will, unfortunately break any inter-doc cross-references so there would be quite a bit of work involved in rebuilding, any you'd need to carefully way that against any reason for not simply continuing to work in the original version.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to javier.arizcuren

Have you tried trashing your prefs? See Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to javier.arizcuren

I was having the same problem, but I think I've figured it out. It looks like the cross-doc cross-refs are getting confused when the files are opened and it tries to update all the cross-refs, maybe because ID is adding [converted] to the filenames? Crash after crash after crash. Anyway, I opened the book, *not* the constituent files. In the book menu, I set the "Automatic Document Conversion," then updated the page numbering. That opens, converts, and saves all the constituent files as CS6 without trying to double-check the cross-refs. Now they seem to open on their own just fine.

I totally agree that cross-doc cross-refs are fragile.  I have dozens in this book, and it is really slow unless all the docs are open because it insists on continually double-checking them.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)