Skip navigation
MARKARKARK
Currently Being Moderated

flash project doesn't play consistantly

May 24, 2012 12:58 PM

Hello,

I have a flash project that is a game.  I loaded the video on my site using video with alpha channels so I could use different backgrounds.  It all seemed to work well, but now when I play it online sometimes the video will not play in some questions.  It is not always the same question.  It seems to be coded correctly and was playing fine.   It seems that the video sticks sometimes, is there a way to eliminate this problem?

Mark.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to MARKARKARK

try assigning a high buffer time

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to MARKARKARK

you can embed the videos on the timeline, that will make heavier the SWF, but perhaps the problem is corrected, or create a SWF for each video containing only the embedded video and these charges with the loaders

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 7:34 AM   in reply to MARKARKARK

Create a new  MovieClip then import the video (but embed it), drag the movie clip with the video embeded to the stage and add a alpha filter .

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to MARKARKARK

Click the File menu, point to Import, and then click Import Video.

Select a video file location option

1.   Locate the video file.
    2.   Choose Embed FLV in SWF and play in timeline
    3.   The Embedding Options ask how you would like to embed the video, and Symbol type:
      •   Embedded Video
      •   Movie Clip
      •   Graphic

Selecting the Movie Clip option will produce two items in your library; the original FLV file (it looks like a video camera) and the movie clip symbol you created.

Checkboxes allow the options to

embed flv

•   Place Instance on Stage
    •   Expand the Timeline if Needed
    •   Include Audio

Finish Video Import: Shows video source, and displays the options checked in embed section.

http://www.theflashstudio.net/basics/_video/embed.php

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to MARKARKARK

File->Import, the same way you import any other image, sound, etc. A video wizard will pop up to import your video and/or convert and compress it to something compatible with Flash if needed. As mentioned make sure you choose the option to embed the video in a MovieClip and let it extend frames to the duration of the video.

Another good idea is to go into the new MovieClip that contains your video, click anywhere in any frame on the timeline on the video, go to the properties panel and set the Sync drop-down to Stream rather than Event. That'll prevent a video, when unloaded, from continuing to play.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to MARKARKARK

To get the best quality, consider encoding your videos with Adobe Media Encoder first and then import that. Flash won't need to convert it and you have a lot more control over the quality.

And don't forget to set Sync to Stream in properties. Everyone always forgets and then you have 5 movies playing at the same time even though you're not on a frame that contains any movie.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 6:29 AM   in reply to MARKARKARK

This has been a very common issue for timeline media playback in Flash. There's no real single solution when using timeline embedded/encoded video. One thing that may possibly help is encoding with Adobe Media Encoder to FLV before import so Flash won't encode it. It may produce better results.

The best long-term solution is drop timeline-embedded video altogether and use external FLVs that you load into a media player. You can use the FLVPlayback component to easily play the video. The Video class has plenty of samples to get you started. Here's a quick old FLVPlayback component tutorial:

http://www.republicofcode.com/tutorials/flash/as3flvplayback/

Sometimes on really long videos even external files have sync issues. Although these days, less issues if you use the mp4 format. Although you use transparency and to my knowledge, although H264 supports an alpha channel, I don't believe flash utilizes alpha in mp4 yet. So be sure to keep the format of those files FLV with an alpha channel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 6:29 AM   in reply to MARKARKARK

Yes the FLVPlayback component is also available in AS2. I've used it a long time in AS2 projects and it works great.

Here is the AS2.0 language and component reference which is becoming harder and harder to find:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS2LCR/Flash_10.0/help.html?content=Part2_ AS2_LangRef_1.html

Here is the AS2.0 FLVPlayback component reference with sample code:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS2LCR/Flash_10.0/00002331.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points