Skip navigation
jptoney
Currently Being Moderated

New System Questions

May 24, 2012 10:47 AM

Hi,

A while back I purchased a Prevision T5500 with the following specs.

Precision T5500
Dual Xeon E5620 @ 2.4ghz
12gb Ram
Quadro 5000 Video Card
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Adobe Creative Suite CS5.5

Matrox MXO2 LE w/Max

I recently found out that my system specs are not compatiable with any HD.  I read that my processor was not fast enough.

I am wondering what processor I should have purchased or if there is any useful information on selecting the appropriate system.  I went through Adobe's specs, but it was just a generic set of specifications.  Also, is the Matrox MXO2 LE with Max the best I/O for Premiere or are they other alternatives?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to jptoney

Start with the last question about Matrox. The best alternative is don't use Matrox at all. The perpetual problems with their drivers, the long time it takes them to fix issues are not worth it.

The system is not bad. It is only 3-4 times slower than a fast system. But it could well be that it is seriously slowed down by Matrox. For ideas about a different system look at Adobe Forums: What PC to build? An update... or PPBM6 Planning a new system

In the future if you need a new system, bypass Dell, HP and similar brands and go to a good custom builder like ADK or DIY.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to jptoney

The powers that be, must have a large budget. Nice to know, because now you can ask for a i7-3960X or dual Xeon i5-2690 system with 64 GB memory and a Maximus solution, including the Tesla C2075 or K10.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 5:51 PM   in reply to jptoney

JP,

Your processors and even your RAM (a little slight at 12GB) should be just fine for HD.

1) You should shoot for a minimum of (2) 7200rpm hard drives additional to your boot drive for your system. (2) 2x1TB or larger RAID 0 arrays would be better (4 drives additional to boot drive).

2) From everything I've heard you may be best off as Harm suggested to dump the Matrox. Or, at least get everything working fine and make a complete boot drive image backup before you introduce the Matrox into the mix.

Regards,

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to jptoney

IEEE1394A connection, either on the mobo or with a simple PCI card. I'm using a simple Panasonic DV deck as well.RIMG0029.png

See in the lower right corner.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to jptoney

Oh, they are, but you need to install the legacy driver, not the default Windows one. I have the DV 2000 as well and there are no problems, once you have installed the legacy driver. See Adobe Forums: Can not capture under Win7

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to jptoney

This is not an Adobe issue, it is a Windows setting on your system, since I can't replicate it, I have no problems capturing over firewire with the Panny deck, DV cameras or HDV cameras,  nor with full screen output to a TV over firewire.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to jptoney

See #7 and #9.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers