Skip navigation
charlie architect
Currently Being Moderated

Problems opening PDF's created on PC on a MAC

Apr 18, 2012 7:37 PM

Tags: #pdfmaker #conversion_error #error_viewing

Hi,

Im having issues when I PDF a word document from Microsoft Office 2010. When I open the pdf file after it is fine and when I email it to other PC users it is fine. The problem occurs when I send the PDF to a MAC user and they view the file. The text becomes black lines. The lines are also still visible when they print the document.  I am using acrobat 9 pro. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks for your help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to charlie architect

Hello,

I am having the exact same issue.  Did you ever figure out a way to fix this?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to charlie architect

You did not indicate how you are creating the PDF. My guess is that the actual problem is the e-mail aspect. You have to be sure the PDF file is encoded (not sent as ASCII) or zipped for transmission in e-mail. It may be the MAC user is also using the MAC preview and not an Adobe product. So as you might see, there are several potential problems and there is not enough information to hone it down. Maybe the comments help some.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

I was converting a MS word 2010 doc to a PDF.  I think I found a solution though.  When saving the PDF, I selected the "options" and checked off the box under PDF options for "ISO 19005-1 compliant (PDF/A).  I tried to access this updated file from my iPad and it no longer displayed the text as black lines.  It did, however, increase the file size quite a bit... I think that is due to embedding the fonts?  Anyhow, it appears to be working now :-)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points