Skip navigation
Tater___
Currently Being Moderated

video overlay issue after I moved from trial to purchased premiere elements

May 25, 2012 8:29 AM

I was using the trial version of premiere elements and was happy with the product. So I decided to buy it. When I did this and put in the serial number I noticed all my video / title overlays are now black. places in my video where I dont have overlay there isnt a problem.

Why did this happen when I switched from trial to purchased product? How do I fix it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to Tater___

Moving to Premiere Elements forum

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 9:35 AM   in reply to Tater___

Did you move some files or reinstall the product? Something got knocked around somewhere. Registering the product won't make your titles disappear.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to Tater___

I agree with Steve.

Converting the trial to full-paid should not affect any Project. Even uninstalling/reinstalling the program, shoudl not affect any Project files.

Titles are included in the Project file (PREL), as XML code. The media, i.e. Videos, Still Images, etc., are NOT included in the PREL, but links to them are. Those links are absolute Paths, and any change in that/those Path(s) will break the link. When that happens, one of two things usually happens:

One gets the "Where is file ____ ?" dialog screen w/ the Finder and navigation. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Or, one gets the "Media Offline" screen, and the media shows as Offline in the Project Panel. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Now, it could be that something has corrupted the PREL (the addition of the S/N should NOT do that), and I would try loading one of the AutoSave PREL's, located in the AutoSave sub-folder in your Scratch Disks, and testing that.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to Tater___

Though I have never read of such problems, let's look at a few possibilities.

You mention "Opacity," and that got me to thinking. Select one of the Clips, that displays as black - click on it. Go to Effects>Edit Effects, to get the Effects Control Panel. Check the Opacity setting (one of the Fixed Effects on every Video Clip). What is that set to?

Test 02 - Dbl-click on one of those offending Clips, to open it in the Source Monitor. Does it play properly there? As that is accessing the physical file on the HDD, and not the editable version on the Timeline, that might tell us something about the file.

Also, what are the specs. of the files, that are not displaying? The reason that I ask is that there are/were a few limitations of the trial (think that the message might still be a sticky at the top of the main forum - not the discussions page - and that it alternates to one about Macs. Wait for it to display, and click on "See Details," to see if maybe there is something there. There are modules in PrE, that require "activation," when one goes to the full-paid version. This activation is usually done transparently, and the user is seldom aware that it has taken place. For it to take place, that computer WILL need to be connected to the Internet.

In your Timeline, do you have red lines over your problem Clips? If so, hit Enter/Return to Render the Timeline for best quality playback. Does that help?

Last, I would check my video driver, and update to the latest one available. My thinking here is that though a video display issue should be rather global for the display/playback in PrE, perhaps it's having problems, where you have two Video Tracks (that does require a bit more power, than just a single Video Track), and perhaps an OS update has rendered that video driver obsolete. That does usually affect the full display of the GUI and also all playback, but again, what you describe is not normal, so if we eliminate all possibilities, we might be able to zero in on the issue.

As you can see, I am just thinking aloud here, as I do not recall this issue ever being posted before. Also, just because something should happen (like PrE easily going from trial to full-paid, with just the S/N), does not mean that it will always happen, as it should.

Good luck, and wish that I had more for you.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points