Skip navigation
shmelnik
Currently Being Moderated

Having trouble with a strangely un-editable document.

May 25, 2012 10:52 AM

Tags: #cs5 #cs3 #image #text #indesign #windows #edit

First of all, let me apologize for some potentially vague explination to follow.

Alright, I have a document, with a .indd file extension, that was created most likely on CS3.1. It has a background image, a couple of misc. images, and a long bar (still technically an image) that I created and pasted in myself, and finally text. I emailed this to myself ~1 month ago. Now when I try to open it again on CS3.1, two things happen:

1. The file name has [converted] in its name, which it shouldn't since I'm pretty sure I created and opened the file on the same versions.

2. None of the text, pictures, etc are moveable, editable, or even clickable. There are certain views that show outlines around text, pictures, etc. so ID obviously knows that these are seperate entities, but it is adament about not letting me move anything. Copy/Cut/Paste is all greyed out. I figure im in some strange mode or something but I can't find anyone with the same problem. This happens opening it on both 3.1 and another computer running ID 5.5.

This is pretty important and I'm kind of at a loss. Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to shmelnik

(Converted) in the file name is pretty concrete evidence that it was NOT created inthe version you are using to open it.

There are some potential version numbering issues. Version 3 was CS, CS3 is version 5. CS5.5 is version 7.5. It's possible that an update to CS3 could make the file open as (Converted), though I honestly don't recall seeing that.

In any case, you can see the entire file history if tyou hold down the Ctrl key while selecting About InDesign for the Help menu in Windows, or holing down the Cmd Key and making the same selection from the InDesign menu on Mac.

If you tell us the OS, we might have some more ideas for why other things don't work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to shmelnik

shmelnik wrote:

From the doc history, it's telling me that the file was created on version 5.1, so that checks out.

The last publicly released version of CS3 was 5.0.4 build 682, so if you see version 5.1 something is not kosher. Are you sure you are not looking at the version of WINDOWS rather than ID? The dialog can be a bit confusing.

Opening as a copy would be normal if it's being converted.

What version of Windows are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to shmelnik

To first rule out certain obvious things -- these items aren't all on a Master page, are they? They aren't locked on the page? They aren't on locked Layers?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to shmelnik

ID and Windows 7 with custom font sizes and an Aero theme don't get along. See InDesign tools and panels don't respond to mouse clicks (Windows 7/Vista)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points