• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Video Stops Buffering and Never Continues

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2010 Dec 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently have been experiencing trouble watching a full Flash video from a variety or sources.  The video will buffer about 30sec to 3minutes of data and stop.  The video plays perfectly up to the point where the buffering stopped, but will not continue.  If I try to refresh the browser page, the video no longer loads, I just get the scrolling wheel in the center of the video screen. 

This happens on Firefox v3.6.13 (32-bit), IE v8.0.7600.16385 (32-bit I think) & Chrome v8.0.552.224.  I am using Flash version 10,1,102,64 for Firefox and IE, and Flash v10,1,103,20 for Chrome.

My Operating Systems is Windows 7 64-bit.  I have tried uninstalling Flash and reinstalling it several times.  I have disabled Hardware Accelleration and turned off AVG from any web protection.  I have cleared my cache files and said several prayers!   Every once in a while a video will fully buffer and play, but I cannot figure out a pattern to it.  Most of the videos I watch are either YouTube or Photography tutorials on sites like Photoshopuser.com, planetphotoshop.com or Vimeo.

I've done lots of searching and haven't really found anyone else with this exact issue, but similar ones.  I've tried everything I can think of and am pretty much at my wits end right now.  I'm not a technical novice but this one has me stumped.  Any assistance that can be provided is appreciated.

Thanks,

dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2010 Dec 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have any suggestions??

Brief update, I noticed that on YouTube if I switch the resolution settings after the video stops, the video will pick back up for a little bit and then stop again.  I can get through the video with a few switches, but not all the way through.   I would love to get this resolved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2011 Jan 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone out there who can help me on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2011 Jan 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been over two weeks and no one has even attempted to assist me with this issue.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am still very frustrated by this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem I hope this gets an answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Sometimes buffering may be due to the fact that the your internet connection is slow. For that you could check with your ISP.

You could also try pausing the video until it finishes downloading.

Also you may want to check to make sure you don't have too many windows open at the same time.

Have you checked here on the Adobe test site? You should see the Flash logo animate and the version will also be displayed. Test with each browser.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Go to Tools, Internet Options, and under the Security Tab, make sure that it is set to Medium for the Internet Zone.

Thanks,

eidnolb

P.S. I think you said you use AVG. The AVG addons in the browser have been known to conflict. It's not the Anti-Virus itself, which is the Resident Shield. Now you may also want to Disable the LinkScanner since it is known to conflict also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2011 Jan 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb, Thanks so much for replying.  

Hi,  Sometimes buffering may be due to the fact that the your internet  connection is slow. For that you could check with your ISP.

I have a 10Mb connection and speed isnt the issue.   The problem is that the buffering stops entirely and won't continue.

You could also try pausing the video until it finishes downloading.

Whether I pause the video, or let it run, the progress bar only goes so far and then stops.  Maybe buffering is the wrong term to use, but the video only loads a portion and never the full thing.

Also you may want to check to make sure you don't have too many windows open at the same time.

I've ran tests by restarting my computer and only running a video that stops, so I only have one browser window open on the computer and it still happens.

Have  you checked here on the Adobe test site? You should see the Flash logo  animate and the version will also be displayed. Test with each browser.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

The logo shows properly on all my browsers, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Flash multiple times with the same result.  It's not that flash does not work, it is that most videos only play 30 seconds to a minute.

Go to Tools, Internet Options, and under the Security Tab, make sure that it is set to Medium for the Internet Zone.

P.S.  I think you said you use AVG. The AVG addons in the browser have been  known to conflict. It's not the Anti-Virus itself, which is the Resident  Shield. Now you may also want to Disable the LinkScanner since it is  known to conflict also.

My Security settings are Medium and I have disabled AVG completely (as a test) with the same result. 

I have read through most of the posts here and tried the suggestions, but none of them have worked so far.  I am not experiencing an install problem, Flash installs just fine.  I don't get any errors when the buffering stops, it just stops and won't continure.  In fact, if I try to replay or restart the video after it stops, it won't play at all and the circular icon in the center of the screen just turns.  This doesn't happen if I haven't reached the end of the buffering or if I change resolution (360P to 480P).   I have noticed that the lower resolution settings buffers more video than the higher resolution, which leads me to believe this is releated to bandwidth or size, but I cannot see any system limitations I have on either of these.  I can download files or view web pages without issue and I regularly see 400-500kbps download speeds.

I do appreciate the response and hope you have another suggestion.

Thanks again.

-dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning, Thanks for your reply. Perhaps we need to take a look at the Flash files.

Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post back the files listed; the NPSWF files will need a right click and then click on Properties to obtain the version numbers.

Using IE, go to Tools, Manage addons. Under "Show"(very light text), make sure Shockwave Flash Object is listed, enabled and let me know that and what version it is. It should be listed under All addons and Run without permission.

Using FF, look in plugins for Shockwave Flash (SWF) to make sure it is enabled.

Always keep in mind that Flash Player is a browser addon and anything installed into the browsers has an affect. Since you are having this issue with all of the browsers, then perhaps there may be a common conflict.

Also you said you turned off the hardware acceleration. Also it is suggested to update the graphic and video drivers to the latest versions. You may want to check on that. How did you turn it off and is it still off?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the lightning fast response. I really appreciate it.  I will run the collect the data when I get home tonight.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll check your thread then this evening.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post  back the files listed; the NPSWF files will need a right click and then  click on Properties to obtain the version numbers.

Here are my files in the Flash Folder

Flash10l.ocx

FlashInstall.log

flashplayer.xpt

FlashUtil10l_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil10l_ActiveX.exe

FlashUtil10l_Plugin.exe

install.log

NPSWF32.dll version 10.1.102.64

Using  IE, go to Tools, Manage addons. Under "Show"(very light text), make  sure Shockwave Flash Object is listed, enabled and let me know that and  what version it is. It should be listed under All addons and Run without  permission.

The Shockwave Addon is listed under both "Show" options.

Name          Shockwave Flash Object
Publisher     Adobe Systems Incorporated
Status        Enabled
File date     Thursday, December 23, 2010, 8:15 PM
Version       10.1.102.64

Using FF, look in plugins for Shockwave Flash (SWF) to make sure it is enabled.

Shockwave Flash Addon v10.1.102.64 is enabled in FF.

Always  keep in mind that Flash Player is a browser addon and anything  installed into the browsers has an affect. Since you are having this  issue with all of the browsers, then perhaps there may be a common  conflict.

Understood.  I have disabled most of the Firefox plug-ins to test this problem.  Firefox is my browser of choice, but I tried all the others during my troubleshooting.

Also you said you turned off  the hardware acceleration. Also it is suggested to update the graphic  and video drivers to the latest versions. You may want to check on that.  How did you turn it off and is it still off?

I turned off the hardware acceleration for Flash using the Right-click Settings / Display Option to turn it off.  I have a fairly recent version of the NVIDIA driver, but am in the process of upgrading it.  I'll report back if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for the time you are taking to look at this.  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

-dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for doing all of the checking. Everything that you have done and all of your Flash files and addons are correct.

I still can't account for a reason that youtube is not loading/playing correctly, since those videos play directly into the browser. Whatever is conflicting, it appears to be one thing since all 3 browsers are affected.

When you say you disabled or (can't remember the term) of AVG, did you do this?

Resident Shield

Open AVG User Interface. (Right Click to Open)
Double-click on the Resident Shield.
Un-tick the option Resident Shield active.

Save the changes.

LinkScanner

Open AVG User Interface.(Right Click to Open)
Double-click on the LinkScanner.
Un-tick the option Enable AVG Search-Shield and Enable Active Surf-Shield.

Save the changes.

Add Ons  Disable:

AVG SafeSearch 
AVG Security Toolbar
AVG Security Toolbar BHO

Now with AVG, the Resident Shield is your main engine. Since you already have FP Installed correctly, that would not conflict. So if you want that activated for protection, you would be ok in doing so.

Now the LinkScanner can and does conflict and as you can see, it is disabled separately.

Just thot I'd post that info and of course I'm sure you have disabled the AVG addons.

Adblock, or popup blockers off? Any Toolbars?

What of Java do you have listed in Programs & Features/Add/Remove? Any version other that the latest?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2011 Jan 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say you disabled or (can't remember the term) of AVG, did you do this?

I basically did the steps you mentioned to disable AVG.  I also completely disabled AVG for a test and the issue still happens.

Now  with AVG, the Resident Shield is your main engine. Since you already  have FP Installed correctly, that would not conflict. So if you want  that activated for protection, you would be ok in doing so.

Now the LinkScanner can and does conflict and as you can see, it is disabled separately.

Yes, I know how to disable individual components of AVG.

Just thot I'd post that info and of course I'm sure you have disabled the AVG addons.

Yep, did that too.

Adblock, or popup blockers off? Any Toolbars?

None of those running other than what is built into FF.  Plus, I hate Toolbars!!

What of Java do you have listed in Programs & Features/Add/Remove? Any version other that the latest?

I do have three Java installs listed in Programs & Features -  Java 6 Updates 13,16 & 18.

I updated my video driver and it was older than I thought.  In fact, I was able to fully watch a couple of YouTube videos without any issues (even before messing with AVG settings) and I was thinking that this issue was resolved, however, when I went back to verify the results today, same problem.  What a pain!!   At least with YouTube, I can usually get through it by changing the resolution, but with other sites, that don't have the resolution options, I'm pretty much out of luck.   As I mentioned before, when the player actually catches up to what was buffered, that video will not restart or reload unless I shut down the browser and go back to the web page.   Here's an example of one of the sites that I frequently have these issues:

http://www.planetphotoshop.com/design-techniques.html

In fact, most of the Kelby Media videos are a problem for me.

I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting and solving issues.  Unfortunately, I'm out of my element with the Flash software.  Your assistance has been very appreciated.  Hopefully, you or another may have other things for me to try.

Thanks again!!

-dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for all of your input:-) I am watching that link:

This week Corey has another cool design trick for creating design elements using textures.

The audio is awesome and the video is playing perfectly!! I won't tell you my Desktop is XP/SP3/IE6 with hardware acceleration ON. (yes that is IE6) I keep my addons in IE to a minimum though.

On your Java, I would Remove all of those versions and Reboot. Then go to www.java.com and Install the latest, which I think is now vs 23. There is a problem with Java's Uninstaller in my opinion, so I don't use it anymore. I Uninstall via Add/Remove.

With Java, the websites use the oldest version that is Installed, don't know why, but they do. Some of those old addons may be an issue also. You probably know that Java when Installing will Install for IE and FF at the same time. And they advise you of any "extra" like Google Toolbar, etc.

You mentioned Kelby Media videos. I don't know what those are?

Did you use the DLM(download manager) when Installing Flash Player? If so do you have any getplus, get_atlcom Class or DLM Control in either IE or FF addons?

Let me know on the Java.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mentioned Kelby Media videos. I don't know what those are?

The Kelby Media Group has a number of photoshop related websites that I frequent.  planetphotoshop, photoshopuser, etc.  They all use the same embedded JW Player. http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player

Did  you use the DLM(download manager) when Installing Flash Player? If so  do you have any getplus, get_atlcom Class or DLM Control in either IE or  FF addons?

I did the browser install and not the DLM.  I tried the Win7 64-bit beta install a few weeks ago hoping that would address the issue, but it didn't so I uninstalled that and reinstalled via the browser.   Would it be helpful if I did the DLM install?  Would that provide additional troubleshooting tools?

Let me know on the Java.

I've updated to the most recent Java version (6.23) with the same result.

I'm still trying.  Thanks again for the attention you've been giving to my issue.

-dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 09, 2011 Jan 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry for the delay. Thanks for the explanation on the Kelby Media. That player works well with my system. I only have WMP, no other players installed on my system.

On the DLM, no no no, stay away from that!!! LOL, It causes so many problems, believe me!! It can interfere with Flash Player, that's why I was asking.

Now that you have only the latest Java, I would check your addons (all under Show also) to make sure they have been updated. I haven't updated Java yet, so don't know if they have added any new addons. The 2SSV Helper should be disabled as well as the Deployment Toolkit(unless you are a Developer) I keep both disabled.

Back to that JW player. I know there should not be any conflict, since it's embedded, but do you happen to have RealPlayer Installed?

Prior to this latest vs of Flash Player (10.1.102.64), did you have these issues with the previous FP (10.1.85.3)? If you can recall, did you Install/Uninstall any program on your computer after the previous FP vs and the latest? And any since the latest version? Any that would Install addons into the browser is what I would be looking at.

You don't have any Flash Player files here, do you? Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that you  have only the latest Java, I would check your addons (all under Show  also) to make sure they have been updated. I haven't updated Java yet,  so don't know if they have added any new addons. The 2SSV Helper should  be disabled as well as the Deployment Toolkit(unless you are a  Developer) I keep both disabled.

I've basically disabled just about every addon and plugin except for Flash and Java Console.

Back to  that JW player. I know there should not be any conflict, since it's  embedded, but do you happen to have RealPlayer Installed?

Nope, no RealPlayer.

Prior  to this latest vs of Flash Player (10.1.102.64), did you have these  issues with the previous FP (10.1.85.3)? If you can recall, did you  Install/Uninstall any program on your computer after the previous FP vs  and the latest? And any since the latest version? Any that would Install  addons into the browser is what I would be looking at.

I don't recall what my previous version of Flash Player was or when I actually upgraded to the latest.  I also can't really pinpoint when the videos stopped working for me, but it was within the last couple months.

You don't have any Flash Player files here, do you? Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

Yes, I do have files in that folder - comctl32.dll.mui, comdlg32dll.mui, fms.dll.mui, mlang.dll.mui, msimsg.dll.mui.  All those files are dated 7/13/2009.  I don't see any version number.    Should those files be deleted? Could they be causing the problems?

I will say I have had more successes than failures with YouTube recently.  I think that's a big positive, however the videos with the JW player still fail 9 of 10 times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, If you have disabled all but Flash & Java in your addons, what about Windows Media Player?

Those files are in the Flash folder? Hmmmm Wonder where they came from or how they got there. That is the Flash folder and should only contain Flash files as far as I know. Haven't ever seen those before, although I have seen FlashPlayerTrust files.

I think those are Microsoft/Windows related, but before you delete them I would want to ask Pat(the one with the backwards name here:-) You can do a search, or rather I think I have an entire list, so I'll do it and see what they are for.

Those still wouldn't explain the issue with the JW Player, though. That one I can't figure out...yet:-) Have you checked to see what the system requirements are for any of those sites of Kelby? Just a thought. I know ESPN for example have certain requirements depending on what is wanted to be viewed.

On the youtube, here is a link that you may find some info:

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/search.py?ctx=en%3Asearchbox &query=viewing+HD+videos

Meanwhile I'll check those .dll files, take a break soon and get back to  you.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well I finally ran down those files in the Flash folder. These are file extensions, Microsoft Technology. That .mui stands for multilingual user interface. Some are DOS command, Skype, Data etc. They must be needed, but I don't think they should be in the Flash folder. I am not certain, so for the moment don't delete them. Perhaps they need to be moved to their proper location if that isn't where they are supposed to be. That's what I intend to ask Pat about.

Will let you know what he says or thinks. He may just post to your thread; depends on how busy he is though.

Do you have Skype Installed and addons in the browser?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking into the files and the link to YouTube Help.     The issues I see are on both HD and non HD videos, however, it does happen more frequently on the HD files.    One of the help pages mentioned incomplete buffering issues and attributes it to an incomplete buffer stuck in the browser's cache.   The only thing they suggest as a possible cause for this is an unstable Internet connection.

I have a 10Mb broadband connection through Comcast.   As mentioned before, I can usually download at 350-500Kbs or even faster at times.  However, this is the issue I'm seeing and something is causing the video to fail.    I'm wondering if there is some way to detect why the video fails to fully buffer or download.  Is there a way to put flash in a debug mode that will log more error data? 

Thanks again for the extra steps you're taking to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, The browser cache being cleared would make sense since youtube works with the browser. I clear mine at least once a day, but you may need to increase the disk space. Go to Tools, Internet Options, and under browsing history, click on Settings and increase your Disk Space if necessary. Of course, clear the cache too.

I have a link to a thread where another user had a similar issue. I'm on my laptop now, so will have to get that for you tomorrow.

He contacted his ISP and they did something and whatever they did solved his problem.

There is a debug vs and will get that info also. I'm not sure however if that would give any info since Flash Player is a browser plugin. I know even the Event Viewer/log doesn't show anything for FP.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 10, 2011 Jan 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Here is that thread link that has interesting info and how it turned out.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3345545#3345545 

Post#2, 3 and #7 

Also this thread is what pointed the above user in the right direction.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3345456#3345456

On the debug versions, Since you have all Flash Player files Installed correctly you may want to pursue the above if it may help with your ISP.

If you want to try the debug version, here is the link:

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

I had another link from researching last night and didn't bookmark it, LOL It was late so, I may have added it to my many many folders:-) I'll find it because the explanation of buffering, etc was good.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dav_miller wrote:

Yes, I do have files in that folder - comctl32.dll.mui, comdlg32dll.mui, fms.dll.mui, mlang.dll.mui, msimsg.dll.mui.  All those files are dated 7/13/2009.  I don't see any version number.    Should those files be deleted? Could they be causing the problems?

Two interesting things here

1. that you have a Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash folder on a 64-bit Windows system; did you upgrade this from another Windows version?
  2. that you have any non-Flash files in that folder.  Can you check the version of these files (right-click | Properties)?

Do you have any other *.mui files on your system, and where are they located?  Especially, do you have the same (comctl32.dll.mui, comdlg32dll.mui, fms.dll.mui, mlang.dll.mui, msimsg.dll.mui) files elsewhere, and do they have the same date / version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pat!!

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys for the additional information.

Two interesting things here

1. that  you have a Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash folder on a 64-bit Windows  system; did you upgrade this from another Windows version?

This was a new install using the Dell Windows7 64-bit OS image disk that comes with a new computer. 

1. that you have any non-Flash files in that folder.  Can you check the version of these files (right-click | Properties)?

Those were the only files in the folder and a version number was not presetn. 

Do  you have any other *.mui files on your system, and where are they  located?  Especially, do you have the same (comctl32.dll.mui,  comdlg32dll.mui, fms.dll.mui, mlang.dll.mui, msimsg.dll.mui) files  elsewhere, and do they have the same date / version?

There are a lot of *.mui files on the system, most in language specific subfolders in Windows/System32 (en-US.da-DK, cs-CZ, etc) and within subfolders of Windows\winsxs.  There are also multiple versions of the previously referenced files, but all of them have the same date and time. 

I had a chance to view the help forum links you provided.  I will try to contact Comcast to see if there is something they see on my end, however, from what I gather on other forum posts, Comcast is not as responsive as Qwest.     My issue is happening on all video, not just the HD videos.  I did the bandwidth speed test referred to in one of the links and I was getting 6.97Mb down and 2.9Mb up.  I would imagine that this should be a fast enough for most video streams.

Thanks for the link of the debug version.  I'm seriously considering installing it!  I've got to read up on it a little more first to see the information it will provide.

Thanks again for all the work and time you are putting into this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines