Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

1333 or 1600 worth extra 360 $?

May 24, 2012 3:16 AM

Dear Gentlemen!I was so inattentive that I bought this type memory for my X79 platform (i7 3930K):

G.Skill 32GB 2133MHz (that time this was on stock, and the seller said there will not be any problem)

Now I read about the memory problem with I7 3930K. and Im trying to change with the following models :

G.Skill 1,5V 1333MHz 64GB  ( http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=432 )

or a same just 1600MHz http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=432.

My question is what do you think there will be any difference from the speed diff. when I using After effects and Premiere Pro CS5.5 ??

The price diff not negligible.

I know would be better low voltage but in my country there is now other type on the market, and maybe the retailer deduct my old 32GB kit which almost brand new.

Thanks for your help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to Dvico

There is very little difference in performance between 1333 and 1600 ram with video work.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to Dvico

The performance difference between 1333 and 1600 memory is small, less than 10% in total performance. Whether that is worth the price difference is up to you to decide. In my experience retailers are very reluctant to exchange unless it is under warranty to exchange it and they can claim it at the manufacturer. It does not matter whether the memory is 1 day old or 12 months, once installed it is used any can not be sold as new anymore. The number of people coming in to a store asking for used memory are very few, so they will have a difficult time to get rid of it again and especially with memory. Would you go in to a store asking for memory that has been returned or used?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 12:24 AM   in reply to Dvico

In multiples of four, they are quad channel.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 12:59 AM   in reply to Dvico

AFAIK there are currently no 8 GB sticks with 1.35V, at least I haven't found any.  All the low voltage sticks are 4 GB.

What makes the G.Skill Ripjaws Z a likely and good choice, is that they have qualified this memory on a range of motherboards, among them many Asus models, so chances are that your mobo is among the list. Take care to read footnote 3 on the page you linked to.

If you decide to try this, please let me know your experiences, because I'm in the same boat. I want 64 GB on the Asus P9X79 WS and am still figuring out what the best approach will be, either these Ripjaws, or waiting for Samsung to come out with LV 8 GB sticks. You can read about my doubts here: PPBM6 Planning a new system

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 1:28 AM   in reply to Dvico

If you buy a 64 GB kit, you can be pretty sure that all 8 sticks come from the same production batch and are matched. If you buy two 32 GB kits, they may come from different factories, from different batches, from different production dates and may not be matched. This may not be a real problem, since the two memory banks on the mobo are electrically separate, but if you have the option, a 64 GB kit would have my preference.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 2:57 AM   in reply to Dvico

Looked around here and there is only one 64 GB kit available in DDR3-1600, the RipJaws Z for € 414 excluding VAT. But not in stock and delivery time is indicated as more than 10 days. Other stores have prices that are way worse, up to € 659 but some have delivery in 1-3 days.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 4:14 AM   in reply to Dvico

Looked it up again and the 64 GB kit in DDR3-1333 is € 328, so comparing it to the 1600 kit for € 414, my preference would be the faster kit, expecting to use it for a period of 2-3 years and then the price difference is bearable. YMMV.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to Dvico

FYI I already had one paid support person who bought some 8GB sticks on the QVL list and they did not work. This was the 1155 platform and not the 2011 platform. The QVL's can fall out of date very quickly because of IC changes due to market pricing and there is no guarantee they have been re-validated at any point.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to Dvico

I was stating beware using the QVL as it should work for sure regardless. Keep in mind part of the not working with the X79 platform includes data corruption and instability. That was one of the reasons we had a very time intensive process behind isolating the issue and the resolution. Often times some would even pass memtest on multiple runs but would throw an error when trying to install windows or the system would crash randomly.

I would look at 32GB of ram and the video card upgrade versus 64 GB of ram and without the video card upgrade. I would however not recommend those 1.6V sticks. Harm is correct regarding getting the ram in 1 batch. When you mix batches is often when you run into ram compatibility issues. However when would you even need to upgrade to 64 GB of ram?

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 12:40 PM   in reply to ECBowen

Something that needs mentioning about those QVL lists

NO ONE and i mean no one ever tests with all slots populated. this would include the ram manufacturers who have those boards for validation, as well as the board manufacturers

in a nut shell the QVL is at best a best guess list.

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to Dvico

It's more an offtopic question, but what the hell

Do you actually use so much RAM ?

I tried to oberserve the Task Manager while rendering an HD movie and the full amount of RAM usage was peaked around 4GB, no more than that. So, what's for so much capacity ? Is there any settings in Adobe Premiere that I should enable in order to use the whole portion of my RAM capacity ?

PS: I use 64bit Win 7

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to Dr.Paneas

I can see all 32gig or even 64 gig used at times during renders..

AVCHD to H264 with 4 layers and 4 effects per..

Thanks

Scott Chichelli

ADK Media Group LLC

<http://facebook.com/adkmg> Like us on facebook!

859-635-5762

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to Dvico

Either one of the sticks of ram is not detecting correctly/timing issues, Bios setup incorrectly, or 1 stick is 4GB and the other 7 are 8GB.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points