• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame 10 crashes when I try to save the book file

May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I open Frame docs that constitute a book, along with the book file. After working for a while, I save All Files In Book. This used to work just fine, but for the last couple of weeks it has been making Frame crash.

Frame also crashes if I'm not in the book file but try to save All Open Files, or if I try to save only the book file.

The docs were created in Frame 8, but I have had them open and changed and resaved them multiple times for the past several months with no issues until now.

I have recreated the book, but the same thing happens.

Has there been a recent update that might have affected this somehow? Or must I just stop using this helpful feature and save each chapter separately, and hope that the book file won't corrupt anything when I generate using it?

This has been quite frustrating, especially since it's a new development without any cause I can readily see.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to try MIF-washing the component FM docs that make up the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try that.

For what it's worth, the error message for the most recent crash was 10024, 6379539, 6372417, 6385921.

And it has happened with more than one set of docs (books).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was cautiously optimistic, but no. Still crashing when it tries to save the book file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI KayH123

First of all you need to rectify whether it is Framemaker specifi issue or is the issue of Internal Error is with the Book.

Create a test book with 1-2 documents from your original book, save it and observe you are facing the same issue or not.

If yes, then instead of original documents create test documents under test book. If also you face this then update Framemaker.

Now if Framemaker does not crash in new book then it means the issue is with the book that you created and may be inside the document in the book which is causing this issue.

Conatct Adobe Tech Support @ 800-833-6687

All the best

Thanks

VJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar issues when I started using Frame 10 last year. Most of the books I worked on were converted from Frame 8.

I ended up rebuilding the books in Frame 10 from the converted files. That seemed to fix the problem.

I also found that I was more likely to get crashes if I used the Track Changes feature.

Regards

Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled Frame and still crashed. I rebuilt a book and it worked for a while and crashed again. I was using track changes, though. So maybe Frame just isn't as stable when track changes is in effect.

Too bad. We love the ability to track changes. It really speeds up the editing process.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you deleted the FrameMaker application data? That occassionally becomes corrupted and is NOT removed when you do an uninstall. I'd close framemaker, delete this data, and then see if the crashes still happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how do to that. Do I delete the whole 10 folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can, but you can just rename it to try it out - FM will recreate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I apologies if I am understanding incorrectly, but you are getting the crash error on FM doc created on FM 8 and launched in FM 10 after that.

In this scenraio, probably, the (Book's) Documents are not getting upgarded, hence result in error. Just to make sure your Book and each document is upgarded correctly, to do so, Please launch Book and Select each document (TOC, Chapters, Index etc) and launch them indiviadually, it should upgarde each of them. Save all and Close.

If above step does not work then can you also specifiy the exact workflow that results in this error?

Thanks,

Anjaneai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The above step mentioned by Anjaneai ( i believe i spelled his name right , though i can copy and paste his name ) is a must step whenever you open older Framemaker  version file in a newer version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the above has helped.

I MIF washed. I reinstalled Frame. I deleted the application data folder. I rebuilt the book. I opened the book files individually and saved them, then reopened everything. Frame still crashes when it tries to save the book file itself.

Here is the workflow:

Open the book.

Open all files in the book.

From the book, hide all conditional text.

Set tracked changes to preview.

Regenerate the book.

From the book, show some conditional text.

Turn off the tracked changes preview.

Try to save the book. I've tried to save All Files in Book, All Open Files, or just the Book file.

Frame tells me it's encountered a serious problem and must close. It leaves a Book file with a letter/number combination extension.

I have sent several of the crash log files to fmerror@adobe.com, but can send some others if you'd like to see them. I have many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-reading this thread leads me to believe that you have tried doing what @Vishu#13 suggested to figure out if it's the book or the program. You've created a test book with some of the docs in it, done your "usual" workflow (as you describe in your #12 post) and it still blows up - right? That indicates that there's something in the program that has an issue with the sequence of actions you are performing.

You've sent the error logs, but you should still contact Adobe Support to get a case opened for this - in the meantime, see if you can isolate which action in your workflow is causing the crashing. Change Tracking has been implicated before, so try creating a fresh book of nonsense docs that you can make crash 100% of the time - Adobe will be interested in having them as test samples. Use them to modify your workflow steps and leave out the Track Changes part - does it still crash? Rinse & repeat, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I entered it as a bug. I hope they can fix it. In the meantime, I just have to remember to save each file individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines