Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Live trace > Live Paint - can't select individual areas

May 25, 2012 3:04 PM

Tags: #layeres. #live_trace #live_paint_group #vector_layer

I have taken this sketch (jpeg) converted to .eps and performed a live trace in illustrator.  I then go to live paint to select areas to fill with different colors, but the whole image is selected.  It could have to do with me not being able to separate into layers before the trace, but i'm not too sure where i am going wrong here.  I've watched several tutorials on turning sketches into vector files, but obviously im missing a step.  Any help?

Carter

mikeyimage.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to wrayand

Have you expanded the trace before trying to fill it?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to wrayand

No, it doesn't have to do with layers. Maybe you should show the traced objects.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to wrayand

There is no need for EPS before importing the image into Illustrator. That's just silly wasted effort. EPS is a "meta format"; just think of it as a "box" or a "wrapper" into which you can drop a bunch of different object types (raster images, vector paths, text) that can be understood by a PostScript device. You can import the raster image (JPEG, whatever) directly into Illustrator. There is no need for it to be contained in an EPS "wrapper."

Forget Layers. You're just confusing yourself. Has nothing to do with your problem.

...obviously im missing a step.

Bluntly, the step you are missing is reading the operator's manual. You're relying on cheezy online "tutorials" in an effort to use a rather complicated program without having to understand it.

I then go to live paint to select areas to fill...

What does that mean; you "go to live paint"? State exactly what you are doing; click-by-click, tool-by-tool, command-by-command. Use the terminology of the program. (Tool tips tell you the names of the tools.)

ALWAYS state what version of the program you are using.

This was done by merely copying your screenshot from your forum post and pasting it into CS3:

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 1:03 PM   in reply to wrayand

I did everything the same in CC5.

I am very disappointed! I just bought CS6 and could not do the same in the live trace that I did in CS5

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to EvLan888

They have changed the autotrace function. But you can still trace stuff, expand and then use live paint on it.

Read the manual.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

Just give me back my options and ignore white. I want to have control over my decisions

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to EvLan888

It's all there: options and "Ignore white"

Read the manual

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

Or in so many words:

Read The Fine Manual.