Skip navigation
danjab1
Currently Being Moderated

Make the film look like it was shot in the 30's

May 13, 2012 10:36 PM

I am doing a film for a school and they want it to look like the Our Gang comedies of the 30's.  Are there any effects that would add scratches and dust to the clip?

You can also email me the solution at danjab@gmail.com

Thanks everyone!

Dan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to danjab1

Misfire from Red Giant, which comes with Looks, is very good at this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to danjab1

Check out

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/old_film_look/

Fairly old tutorial but may still very relevant to your needs.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to danjab1

While I recommend the 3rd party app, that Jim did (do not know Paul's suggested software, but probably very good too), if one is on a budget, and they are on a PC, then they should have Windows Movie Maker. It has an included "Old Film" Effect. IIRC, it does not allow for much adjustment, but might get you what you want, and cheaply too.

The one potential issue that I see is that WMM has limited output/Export settings. Their "Live" verson, even fewer.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Paul's suggetions is not software but a very smart solution.

It only involves downloading a .mov.

Recommened myself many times.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to danjab1

If you go to the videocopilot's tutorial you will see what i mean.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to danjab1

You would not apply that Effect in PrPro, but in Windows Movie Maker. This would be similar to the VideoCoPilot tutorial, which uses After Effects, though it would give you far less control. Do you have access to Adobe After Effects?

First, I would Export from PrPro, and choose a format/CODEC that WMM can use. I do not know its limitations, but it WILL Import a DV-AVI file, and that would be pretty good. [Since we are going to "degrade" the video a bit, I would not bother looking into one of the common, lossless CODEC's, like Lagarith, which is a common intermediate CODEC, as I do not know if WMM can work with that footage.]

Once Imported into WMM, you would just apply the "Old Film" Effect. Cannot recall how much control one has with it - might be an all, or nothing situation. When applied, perhaps with other Effects, you would just Export. WMM has a limited range of choices here, but the DV AVI Type I should be OK. I would stay clear of WMV, unless that is your delivery format.

Note: the newer Windows Movie Maker Live is even more limited. I believe that it only Exports to WMV, and that DV-AVI Type I has been removed.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points