Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Win Encore 5.1 won't write to LG Blu-ray burner

May 23, 2012 2:53 PM

Tags: #pro #5.1 #blu-ray #encore #win7 #lg

Encore 5.1 (CS5.5) and Win7 Pro new computer I just built. Trying to burn a DVD in Encore.

When I choose "Build" I see the drive (it's the only one on the computer) Everything seems fine. It builds the movie then gets ready to write and Encore says "Cannot Erase Disk."  I put in another DVD blank try it again, and when it comes to write it says "Please insert DVD media and then close the tray and click OK." Of course the tray is closed and there is good DVD media in it.  Next I try another disc and it errors out with "Encore was unable to complete the operation because of a hardware error (sense code 52102). Please contact the hardware manufacturer for more information."  I give up.

So I use Encore to output an ISO file, I drag it into Nero burning rom and it burns perfectly on the first try using the same LG drive and one of the discs that Encore failed on.  I've seen others say that this is the way you have to do it with Encore, but I refuse to back down to this. I've used encore CS4 for years and it burned great. Has the product gotten worse instead of better?  My LG is BH14NS40 on Win7 Pro, Asus p9X79 WS, i7 3930 and 16 gigs of ram.  Why won't Encore work with my drive when Nero does so beautifully?  Can I expect any different results when I install CS6?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to AudioEditor

>drag it into Nero

Nero MAY be your problem

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

After you create an ISO (Encore) or folder on your hard drive (Encore or Premiere Elements) use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc for DVD or BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

Imgburn will read the ACTUAL disc brand from the disc, which is not always the same as the box label (Memorex is notorious for buying "anything" and putting it inside a Memorex box)

When you write to disc with Imgburn, use the SLOWEST possible speed setting, so your burner has the best chance to create "good, well formed" laser burn holes... since no DVD player is required to read a burned disc, having a "good" one from a high quality blank will help

Use Taiyo Yuden single layer or Verbatim Two layer Or Falcon Pro for inkjet printable Two layer

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to AudioEditor

Moving on... another possible problem is Win7 permissions are sometimes "odd" with Encore... so do the below to see if that fixes the problem

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771202

-Set to always "run as" via icon http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to AudioEditor

You're saying, software wise, that it's whoever gets to the drive first owns it and no one else can get in

That pretty much distills the issue.

What happens with most "packet-writing" software is that it is set up to load at boot, and actually before most of the OS loads. It then reports to the OS that the multi-drive/burner is NOT a multi-drive/burner, but is, instead, a removable hard drive. Nero and Roxio have packet-writing software, that, when installed, will "hook" the multi-drive/burner. Windows Burning Utility, can do the same. The OS believes that packet-writing software, and just flags the multi-drive/burner AS a removable HDD.

Encore (and other Adobe programs, that can burn to DVD) looks to the OS for instructions, and the OS tells it, "there are NO burners on this system - just a removable HDD." That is all that En sees, so will refuse to Burn to Disk, as no burner is reported.

Now, other burning utilities, like the free ImgBurn, do not query the OS. Instead, they go to the hardware level, and look for an APTI for a multi-drive/burner. They do not care what the OS reports, as they work at the hardware level. They can get one around such problems.

This ARTICLE goes into more detail, and also links to the FAQ Entry, that John T. has already mentioned.

One way around this is to go to MSCONFIG and in StartUp, and Services, uncheck the packet-writing module, to keep it from loading at boot. Another method is to uninstall the offending program, say Nero, and then reinstall it in "advanced," or "manual" mode, and just do not install the packet-writing module. I have Nero on my computers, but it was installed without those modules. I have no issues.

Now might also be a good time to check for any firmware updates for your LG, as they issue those fairly often. Be SURE to read the full instructions, and make SURE that you understand them completely, before you update the firmware. I recommend printing those instructions out, and having them handy, following EACH step, in perfect order.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to AudioEditor

Do try what I posted for the "run as" process

I know that if you are creating a dual layer DVD you MUST use the run as process... at least with CS5, and mostly likely also with CS6

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to AudioEditor

AudioEditor,

I was not talking about drivers (should not need those), but firmware. This is the code that is burned into the multi-drive's/burner's ROM chip. That is why I was giving warnings - if one "flashes" the ROM, to update the firmware, and they do it wrong, things get very bad.

I have an LG multi-drive, and have updated the firmware a couple of times. Each time, I do follow the directions 100%, and it seems that they update the firmware about every 6 - 8 mos. So far, the instructions have been the same. However, for my Plextor multi-drive has different instructions, and a few points have changed over time, so one should NEVER get complacent, regardless of how many times they have updated (often referred to as "flashed") the firmware.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 7:18 PM   in reply to AudioEditor

when it's ready to write it kicks out the disc and says, "Can't erase this disc."  Duh! it's not an erasable disc, It's a Falcon DVD blank. And erase the disk wasn't checked. it's just acting unintelligent.

This would make me think that you might have picked up a Falcon, that has already been written to. When you look at the reflective side, do you see ANY area, that has been used?

I have accidentally picked up the wrong disc, that has info written to it, when I thought that I had a blank.

Falcon Pro is about as good as it gets, and if it IS a blank, then something is wrong. At that point, I would definitely check out a firmware update, as when firmware is out of date, wonky things can happen, and what you describe is definitely wonky.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to AudioEditor

I think it's a driver conflict.

I have a Pioneer BDR205 with Encore CS6 (to answer your question about CS6) and the problem just started showing up after the last Adobe "update".

Encore appeared to be having a battle with the VLC player. My solution was to create an ISO and then burn the ISO directly to the disk. When I went back to the "failed" disks when the error had appeared, it seems that the disks were actually burned correctly.

As a precaution I also uninstalled VLC completly and then reinstalled it with the "play DVD" turned off.  We'll see what happens on the next disk....

The strange thing is that it seemed to like certain blanks over others even though both are DVD+R.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points