Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere pro v2 to photoshop CS2 file - help?

May 26, 2012 6:51 AM

Yesterday I wanted to see if I could edit the *.avi video clip in Photoshop CS2 - so in Premiere, I tried exporting this .avi clip as a quick time movie file which I then tried to open in my photoshop CS2, but it would not even open.

How do I save an .avi video clip in PPro so I can open and edit (like cut out a wall from a room, and put a big stained glass window in place where the wall had been, for example), and then save it so I can 1) edit it in After Effects (by adding moving characters), 2) export it so it will import back into PPro, render and run smoothly when viewed in the Source or Program monitors?

I also d/l the free PFx Film Machine, but I'm not too sure what it does? I think it lets me open quick time files in photoshop as a sequence of still images for editing in PS?

Also, I haven't yet installed this Film Strip, not sure how to install it?

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 26, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to angelalien548

I think you will have to save it as a filmstrip.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to angelalien548

In PrPro 2.0, with focus on your Timeline, go to Export>Movie, and then Settings. From the "File Type" drop-down, choose Filmstrip, and if necessary, adjust the Video, but the default should be fine.

Note: the files will be large, and later versions of PS have dropped support for Filmstrip files (cannot recall when, but PS CS2 will still handle them).

I would also experiment with small segements first, and you can limit the Duration (number of Frames) with the WAB (Work Area Bar).

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here is the Filmstrip dialog in PrPro 2.0:

Export_Filmstrip.png

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to angelalien548

Not familiar with that book, but if you are working with Filmstrip files, sounds like it will be a real asset.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 4:04 AM   in reply to angelalien548

Try again, because it should work. Done this in the past several times.

I do not think you can read a filmstrip outside PS.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to angelalien548

I agree with Ann. I just Exported a 00;00;40;00 flm from PrPro 2.0, and then Opened it in PS CS2. It worked perfectly.

Now, as each Frame is basically an Image, when Opened in PS, one needs a short Duration flm, or a very, very powerful computer. I was on my laptop, and while it's a heavy-duty laptop, obviously has its limitations.

Something was wrong with your Export. What Duration were you Exporting? If very long, try adjusting the WAB (Work Area Bar), and Exporting shorter segments.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to angelalien548

For WAB see screendump.

There is no plugin required to import a filmstrip.

work area bar 1.jpg

work area bar.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to angelalien548

Along with Ann's screen-caps, this ARTICLE goes into some more detail on the WAB in PrPro, plus lists some other uses for it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to angelalien548

Edit in Photoshop will work, when you have a JPEG, PSD, etc. Selected on the Timeline - not the entire Timeline.

I do not know why you are getting the error, when you go to Open the flm in PS.

I would set the Duration of the WAB to about 40 sec. (my test), and see if that will Open without an error.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to angelalien548

If, in Control Panel>Folder Options>File Type, the file associations (with "Always Use Selected Program to Open this File Type" checked) are not sticking, then something is wrong in Windows.

Sorry, but I cannot imagine why these issues are happening, and can only reply with how things work on my system, with those same two programs. Not sure how WordPad got "locked" onto the .flm file type association. That is a puzzle.

Wish that I had more to offer. Perhaps Ann, or others, will see what I am missing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points