Skip navigation
theo_athan
Currently Being Moderated

Liquify and ATI Drivers on an iMac.

May 19, 2012 10:57 AM

Tags: #osx_lion #production_premium #cs6 #imac #adobe_photoshop #liquify_filter #ati_drivers #amd_drivers

Hello,

This is driving me insane, so i would appreciate any help at all.

There is a SERIOUS problem with PS CS6 and ATI HD 5750.

Liquify tool does not work...

Here are the details:

iMac i7

16 GB RAM

Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

Software  Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

What happens is that the moment i enter Liquify's UI the mouse stops moving!!!!

I only have mouse movement to the left and to the right (to choose or tweak brush sizes etc.)

but when the mouse is over the image, the crosshairs are frozen, no movement at all!!!

If i try to liquify something on the image it does not work.

The only way to make Liquify work, is to disable "Use Graphics Processor" in PS preferences.

So, this is clearly a driver issue, the thing is that ATI driver updates (for HD5750 ON iMacs) come directly from Apple and there is no available download on Amd's site, so i actually can't upgrade drivers myself....

I should also mention the following:

I have both Production Premium 5.5 and 6 installed on the same machine

I had PS CS6 beta installed, but i removed it (using the uninstaller - The Adobe way) prior to the Production premium CS6 installation.

The Liquify tool had the exact same problem in PS CS6 Beta (I was running 10.7.3 at that time), but i didn't mention anything, i thought it was just a bug with the Beta version.

It's also worth mentioning that the Liquify tool in PS CS 5.5 works just fine. (probably because it doesn't use GPU accel.)

Othen than that, i am really dissapointed and frustrated with the whole CS6 experience so far...

I couldn't even install PP CS6 at first, and i was forced to reboot the iMac in safe mode to complete the installation.

I would really appreciate any help, i'm stuck.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 19, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to theo_athan

Try going into Photoshop - Preferences - Performance, pressing the [ Advanced Settings... ] button in the Graphics Processor Settings, then switching to one of the other modes - e.g., Basic.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 19, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I forgot to mention...  You'll want to Quit Photoshop and restart before testing to see whether the problem has been worked-around.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 19, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to theo_athan

For completeness I should ask:  Did you also try checking/unchecking the [  ] Use OpenCL box?

Also, is the problem worked-around when you disable the [  ] Use Graphics Processor setting entirely?  That clearly isn't the way you want to work, but it could serve as a "limp home mode" until Apple releases an ATI driver update.  I'm pretty sure the Adobe people are alrady all over Apple to fix some of these things.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 19, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to theo_athan

On the one hand, Apple users benefit from Apple taking on the responsibility of integrating everything together so there's minimum fuss.  On the other hand, sometimes you have to wait for solutions that work, where a PC user has more options...  I had trouble with Liquify using the latest ATI drivers (on my PC), so I just uninstalled them and installed a version they released 2 months ago that works.

And you're right, AMD probably doesn't put much effort into making sure Photoshop works right - I think they're most interested in video games, which is where more of the money is.

Hopefully AMD and Apple will get things working soon.  I don't think you're alone in this.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2012 11:33 PM   in reply to theo_athan

theo_athan wrote:

<...>

Here are the details:

iMac i7

16 GB RAM

Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

Software  Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

<...>

As a datapoint...make of it what you will...

I, too, have an i7...mid-2010 27" i7, 2.93 GHz CPU, 16GB DRAM.  I also have exactly the same graphics hardware, exactly the same OS version, and I do not have problems with the Liquify filter.  All of my CS6 graphics preferences are at default, i.e. Use Graphics Processor checked and under Advanced Settings... all boxes are checked and Drawing Mode is Advanced.

I did have CS 5 Design Premium installed when I installed the CS6 beta but I removed it before installing Photoshop CS6 final as I rarely used anything other than Photoshop from the CS5 DP package.  CS5 DP is still installed on my laptop in case I ever need it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 12:29 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

On the one hand, Apple users benefit from Apple taking on the responsibility of integrating everything together so there's minimum fuss.  On the other hand, sometimes you have to wait for solutions that work, where a PC user has more options...  I had trouble with Liquify using the latest ATI drivers (on my PC), so I just uninstalled them and installed a version they released 2 months ago that works…

Noel,

One can do similar stuff on the Mac too, provided you really, really know what you're doing.  What's more, not only can you use .kext files from previous OS versions, but you can even hack them or roll your own.  One notable case was the set of applefan.kext files provided by an outfit called macgeniuses to cool down the Power Mac MDD G4 for purposes of running a mutant, flashed graphics card they sold for it.  One has to be superextra careful though, or you'll turn the machine into an extremely noisy air filter or you can literally fry the cpu and gpu in no time. 

MDD_G4_fanfit_AppleFan_kext.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to theo_athan

theo_athan wrote:

CR…

…would you be kind enough to send me the kext files of your ATI drivers so i can replace the ones in mine?…

".kext files" in the Windows/PC world? ???    I only knew about them in the context of Mac OS X.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 20, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to station_two

You twisted something around there, station_two.  He has a Mac.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

You twisted something around there, station_two.  He has a Mac…

Duh! 

I was misled by CR's post dated today:

I, too, have an i7...mid-2010 27" i7, 2.93 GHz CPU, 16GB DRAM…

The OP's mention of an iMac was too distant in the past…  Sorry, my bad!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 20, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to station_two

Actually, you didn't quote enough...

theo_athan wrote:

<...>

Here are the details:

iMac i7

16 GB RAM

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

<...>

I, too, have an i7...mid-2010 27" i7, 2.93 GHz CPU, 16GB DRAM. I also have exactly the same graphics hardware, exactly the same OS version,

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

You're assuming I read every word, which is particularly untrue of quoted text. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to theo_athan

theo_athan wrote:

CR thanks for your reply.

Well, if that's the case maybe somehow drivers got corrupt in my OS?

Since we have the exact same config,

would you be kind enough to send me the kext files of your ATI drivers so i can replace the ones in mine?

Thanks again.

To keep from plugging up the forums I PM'd him.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Actually, you didn't quote enough...

theo_athan wrote:

<...>

Here are the details:

iMac i7

16 GB RAM

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

<...>

I, too, have an i7...mid-2010 27" i7, 2.93 GHz CPU, 16GB DRAM. I also have exactly the same graphics hardware, exactly the same OS version,

-Noel

"i7 ..." was supposed to be "iMac ...". 

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to CR Henderson

We have tested this same iMac with the same video card and exact same OS version and we are not able to reproduce the problem. Do you have any possible conflicting devices installed like tablets or special mouse controlers? I wonder if you have some sort of software conflict and that is why we/others cannot reproduce this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to theo_athan

My best guess now is a driver conflict so uninstalling the extra drivers would be my recommendation. I would uninstall them all and see if that fixes the problem. I would then install them back one at a time checking Photoshop after every installation to isolate the conflicting driver.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to theo_athan

I have a Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon running Mac OS 10.7.4 with 32 GB of ram with an ATI Radeon HD 4870 and have just started having the exact same problems with the liquify tool. Prior to tonight, it had been working perfectly. The only thing I have in common with the OP other than the graphics card being an ATI Radeon, is the operating system and the Wacom Intuos 4 with their latest drivers. I have been having no end of trouble with the pen not responding (which then comes back to life after using the Magic Trackpad to click something), to the contextual menu popping up all the time and not going away straight away. It has been so frustrating and time consuming. I decided to use the Wacom briefly outside of CS6 and in the Finder to see if the problem is just with Photoshop. The only thing that was repeatable in the Finder was the contextual menu nuisance. I even shifted the contextual menu to the upper button of the pen thinking I may have been inadvertantly touching it. I have also disabled the 'Use Graphics Processor' and that has returned the liquify back to working correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to theo_athan

Sorry, I forgot about you mentioning using a mouse in your original post, but then read about the Wacom further down. After reading about you disabling  "Use Graphics Processor" in PS preferences, I tried it and it worked for me also. I feel, like you said, that it points to the ATI driver, but confusing that liquify was working and then stopped for me. Again my apologies for the confusion.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to Nutmeg-42

I am suspecting there is a problem with this Wacom tablet driver. Even with the tablet off there could be a problem with the driver still installed. I it would most helpful to me to temporarily uninstall the Wacom driver and see if the problem goes away. I am not recommending this as a solution but just to help me isolate the root cause. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to theo_athan

Thank you for running the test. At least we can eliminate one posible cause.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 1:41 AM   in reply to theo_athan

Okay. I am having the exact system and the exact same graphics card as well. Liquify works for me though. But I have another issue, spotted here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5408068#5408068

Obviously there is something wrong with ATI drivers or Photoshop itself. Besides, theo_athan, you should try to roll back to 13.0.1 and check if your problem persists there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 8:39 PM   in reply to theo_athan

I am using iMac with 10.8.3. PS13.1.2

Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB.

No trouble with liquify.

vince

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 12:14 AM   in reply to theo_athan

Yeah, heh, sorry for that )) missed some timestamps )

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points