Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Custom URL Scheme not working? (as supposed)

May 21, 2012 2:40 PM

Hey,

I went into investigate about the "optional URL scheme" setting you can set up during building an app in the viewer builder.

Quote from the Viewer Builder help:

Optional URL Scheme
Specify the custom URL scheme that launches the viewer app from Safari and other apps. […]

For example, suppose you specify “com.sportspub.kayaking” as the URL scheme. If you embed a “com.sportspub.kayaking://” link on your webpage, clicking the link from the mobile browser opens the viewer app. […]

The possibility sounds good, to link to the app from any web page you view on the iPad.

But during testing this, I found out it's not that easy and/or not working as documented.

Bob set the URL scheme for his app supposedly to

com.dpstips.may5

a link with

<a href="com.dpstips.may5://">

will not open Bob's app on the iPad ("invalid URL").

I looked into the compiled app from the viewer builder and found out the actual URL scheme used is completly different, it is

dps.7f80a0ffed3a4ff08734bc905aac4a29

and the correct link would be

<a href="dps.7f80a0ffed3a4ff08734bc905aac4a29://">

that will open Bob's app (you can try it here if you are on an iPad).

And if you know your interal folio and article names, you can even deep link into one article from a specific folio:

<a href="dps.7f80a0ffed3a4ff08734bc905aac4a29://v1/folio/DPS%20Folios/01_Folio_TOC">

you see these links in the landing page of the web viewer on the iPad.

I collected all links and tests in this jsFiddle, that you can open on your iPad to test yourself: http://jsfiddle.net/YRUGj/15/

Unfortunately, you cannot find out your real URL scheme without extracting your .ipa file and investigate the content's of the viewer, it is listed in the info.plist file.

Is this supposed to work this way or is this currently a bug that might be fixed soon?

—Johannes

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,636 posts
    May 29, 2007
    May 25, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Johannes, regarding your previous post, the URL Scheme I specified in Viewer Builder is "com.bringhurst.dpstips." Sorry I didn't catch that earlier -- I got behind on email. The "com.dpstips.may5" string is my Apple App ID, and the other URL Scheme you dug up was generated behind the scenes when social sharing was enabled.

I'm currently testing the ability to use the social sharing link to jump from an article in one folio to an article in a different folio. I know this features isn't supported yet, but it might work. I'll let you know how it goes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,636 posts
    May 29, 2007
    May 25, 2012 4:11 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

I'm trying to track down why the manually entered URL Scheme doesn't work. I'll let you know what I find out.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 26, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Hi, Johannes

Great post

Please, could you explain a little better how you get the "actual URL scheme used into the compliled app from viewer builder

I tried see the link above from my iPad - http://forums.adobe.com/dps.7f80a0ffed3a4ff08734bc905aac4a29: and the page can´t be found.

Am I doing something wrong?

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

thank you for the response.

Yes, I am a designer not programmer.

I will try

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 3:58 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

I've found something like this (VBv20):

- URL scheme dps.longHashTag works without specifying it in viewer builder (just extract it form ipa) but it looks awful

- you can type anything in Viewer Builder in scheme text input for example "My-app-name" and it works perfectly (reversed domain appID looks awful as well as dps.longHashTag)

- one of my apps (but I don't remember version of VB) crashes after launch from link - i see splash screen and that's it. Whether it depends on viewer version?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Thank you, this was a good explanation to a our problem. And if not a good solution, at least a fix.

Question to Adobe representatives: Will this hashed link stay the same when we update the viewer, if we let the url scheme as text remain unchanged? We want other apps to be able to open one of our viewers, and we don't want to have to update several apps every time we need to update the viewer.

Thanks in advance, Kind regards,

Axel Garcia Henriksson

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

It seems that just setting the custom URL scheme will not work when linking to the app externally. I was able to get the app linking to work by cracking open the app and adding a URL Type and URL Scheme to the info.plist file. Once re-signed I just use the URL scheme as the link i.e. appname://folio

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,636 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jul 10, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to Ivan Mironchuk

The custom URL Scheme setting works in v21. To see an example, you can create a button that links to com.bringhurst.dpstips:// This opens the DPS Tips library.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 2:43 AM   in reply to Exood

Hello all,

i have the same probleme like Exood. My app (single folio) crashes after launch from link - i see the splash screen and that's it. If i open the app normal everthing is ok. Can anybody help my with this problem?

Thanks Simon

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 5:58 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

can i do anything to open a single edition app from an other app?

do you know a workaround?

Thanks Simon

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points