• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 5.5 Playback controls disappear after playing embedded animation (swf)

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just discovered a new problem with Captivate 5.5.

I have a project created from importing PPT slides. Near the end, I added a slide with a short swf animation object, then the slides continue after.

What happens is that during playback, after the swf plays, the playback controls vanish from the main project. (The embedded swf has no skin). The bottom border is still visible, but the play/pause buttons are just gone.

Anyone ever seen this?

Oh, and I tried splitting the presentation after the swf and daisy-chaining the two parts together, but that doesn't work either. It won't play the "new project".

Thanks for any help!

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can you tell us about this embedded SWF?  How was it created?

Is it perhaps a Captivate simulation that you have nested inside the main Captivate project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is exactly that. A short Captivate simulation. The .swf is about 2.5M.

I’m seeing two other things in Cap 5.5 that weren’t in v5, so I don’t know if they’re related. When the .swf plays in Design-time, there’s a small box that appears over it that says “Created by Adobe Captivate 5.5”, also a file called “test42.png” is being created in the folder where the .cptx files live. It’s always just the letter “E”. Very strange, but I couldn’t find anything about it on the forum.

Thanks for looking into this!

Shanie Mattox, CTS-I, DMC-E

Crestron South

Ext 13014

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, the news I have to give you is not good.

The reason your playbar is probably disappearing just when you play this embedded SWF is that the embedded SWF doesn't have a playbar of its own, and since it's also a Captivate project file, the settings in the embedded SWF are affecting the settings in the parent SWF at runtime.

It's been mentioned many times on this forum that it's a bad idea to nest Captivate SWFs inside other Captivate SWFs.  It causes lots of issues.

Your better solution is to add the slides from the nested project into the main project and edit them from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I can make that work. Thanks for the info.

By the by, I noticed that you were in on this thread as well:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/742195

about the audio cut off issue.

Bad news is, I still have that problem in 5.5. THAT one is a big problem. I had to fight for the upgrade because tech support said it was fixed, but it's not.

If you can look into that one, I would be your new best friend.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you don't mind me adding my 2 cents here....

I had a client who had this same issue.  The work around for him was to add a playbar to the embedded/nested swf... BUT you can hide it by setting the playbar's alpha to zero, set it for "overlay", removing all the buttons, and also removing the border at the bottom.

playbarSettings.jpg BorderSettings.jpg

Give that a try and see how it goes.

Jim Leichliter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! Thanks for the $.02!

Crestron South

Ext 13014

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked great. Thanks!

Crestron South

Ext 13014

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim - thank you - I had this problem in a software demo for a client and your fix worked - now I can go to sleep without dreading tomorrow in the office - Laura xxxxx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what about the 'test42.png' issue?

I'm now getting this, very weird.

I have 6 of them over 6 different products. But mine have the letters E C D C D C across the 6 files. Just one letter per file.

I'm bemused.

I cannot find any reason as to why this is being created!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I GET THE STUPID IMAGE ALL THE TIME

test42.png -> just a frking letter E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another 0.2 cent's worth ...

I spent a good few hours on this problem yesterday and manage to crack it, in a manner of speaking, before spotting this Forum entry.

Just to add a quick comment to Jim and Rod's excellent advice: I found that the embedded SWF would still play, without causing the main project's playbar to disappear, if you follow Jim's advice, above, for each embedded SWF's Skin Editor settings, with the following minor tweak, which may be appropriate for some situations ...

a) Clear the Playbar Overlay check box

b) The Playback Colors check box becomes available, so select it

c) For Background, select the same colour as your slide background (white, in my project's case)

playback.jpg

This is just another option to try, if you experience the "disappearing playbar" problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and yet another .2 cents worth.

Have we been making this needlessly complicated? I suspect so. I've just stumbled across the solution proposed here:

http://www.dorna.nl/?cat=56

All that's needed is to "add an action Assign that sets cpCmndShowPlaybar to 0 to the first slide in the small [i.e. the embedded] project".

I haven't tested it, but I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested this and it seems to work fine.

I'm still not a fan of embedding Captivate SWFs inside other Captivate SWFs but it's nice you know that there is a workaround for at least one of the issues this causes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources