Skip navigation
vizcomnow
Currently Being Moderated

How do I create glowing lines that wrap around a 3D sphere?

May 27, 2012 10:11 PM

Tags: #cs4 #3d #map_art

Here's the effect I'm going for, maybe a bit more glow and lines do not need to arc like that: http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/504532/504532,1275 514960,1/stock-photo--d-illustration-render-of-a-global-network-focus- on-europe-54442234.jpg

And like this: http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/689230/689230,1329 711228,2/stock-vector-globe-network-connection-blue-background-vector- illustration-95588578.jpg

I'm having a couple of problems: 1) if I put the network lines on the map it looks too flat so I think I need to apply them to a slightly larger invisible sphere; 2) when I add a blur/outer glow to the lines they do not wrap cleanly on the sphere, they kind of break up and distort. Plain lines do not seem to have this problem but objects with effects do.  

Any tips on how to do this? Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 27, 2012 11:03 PM   in reply to vizcomnow

They look like they were simply drawn with a pen tool or similar tool.

You draw the paths then you cut them with the scissor tool then without changing their poisitons  you send the part the has to go behind the sphere to the back.

like this

Screen Shot 2012-05-28 at 2.00.47 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 11:09 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

To do a whole bunch should not take more than a few minutes.

You can give it more of  gaseous look by setting the blending mode to overlay

Screen Shot 2012-05-28 at 2.07.34 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to vizcomnow

You're welcome you will see it is easy as pie. Gary Newman used this technique all the time even for an8mation in Illustrator.

That's how I learnt it! from the forum and Newman.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to vizcomnow

I'm sure the lines in your examples were drawn individually with the pen tool but for the lines below the sphere in the second example you can use the arc tool and draw a bunch of random lines with it in one go if you hold the ~ key on your keyboard when you drag with the arc tool. this is how I made the lines on the image below in one second, then I used the eraser tool to make the ends uneven and added some glowing dots which I had to duplicate on top of each other to increase the glow.

Untitled-3.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points