We publish RC Pilot Magazine for Kindle, both iPad resolutions and Android. We have found that the iPad3 version has issues with page turning inside larger articles and from one article to the next (but to a lesser extent).
We have tried rendering in PDF, PNG and JPG (we test the same article with each) and we have tried creating the rendition in 2048 and then 1024 (except the images) and upsizing. Nothing seems to work. There is a 1-2 second deley from the time you swipe until the page actually turns. The articles in question are roughly 25MB in size all in.
This has to be either a processor issue. We have no other apps running.
We ended up reinstalling Content Viewer but that did not work. Then, we rebuilt and tested the issue one article at a time using PDF where possible and jpg where PDF could not support certain features.
We've read these guidelines and they do not offer much.
I do not understand why publishing the 2048 resolution first should help anything given the warning from Adobe to publish renditions of the same edition with EXACTLY THE SAME DATE. If the reader software were working correctly, it would be able to determine the proper resolution without reference to the published date (which, again, you advise to be identical).
If the device finds only the 1024 by 768 and no renditions on the first day of release, it will ask the both ipad2 n ipad3 to download the 1024 folio and later renditions will not help. Renditions do determine the device resolution but when it finds only 1024 folio, it is bound to offer both ipad2 n ipad3 to download it because there is no way dps will know whether 2048 is coming later or not. Best is to publish the 2048 first and then the 1024 as 2048 will not offer a download to iPad 1 n 2. 1024 with PDF for ipad3 is an option if you wish to reduce production time but IMO 2048 for ipad3 is the best option. Machines do always determine the best options without fail... We humans do not.
Were you able to resolve the performance problem? If so, what did you do? Did the article you show have any overlays on it? Were either of the adjacent articles smooth scrolling? Or did one of the adjacent articles contain very large overlays?
the exact date refers to the publication date in your metadata field (folio
you then should publish these metadata-identical folios separately after
Am 28.05.2012 07:30 schrieb "RCPilotMagazine" <email@example.com>:
Re: iPad 3 Performance is Poor - what to do? created by
RCPilotMagazine <http://forums.adobe.com/people/RCPilotMagazine> in *Digital
Publishing Suite* - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4444192#4444192
Thanks for all the silence aodbe. Really helpful…
Ok, so we somehow fixed the problem. By pure fluke, so this probably wont be of much use to the rest of you but I thought I would share anyway.
You all have probably tried this, but it worked in the end for us.
We deleted content viewer on the iPads (1&3), deleted our preferences in users/library/preferences (Mac), re-installed content viewer, opened then re-saved both folios following the guidelines (be sure to output in PDF format) and published. Then, BOOM, for some reason it started to work fine again. And has been fine since!
No idea what the problem was and apart from the re-install and re-save, our process was exactly the same.
Brings me right back to the old days of Flash