Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

H264(Youtube/Vimeo Preset) export looks flat and desaturated- H264 Gamma?

May 28, 2012 12:38 AM

Tags: #issue #h264 #gamma

All my h264 output both quickitme and mp4 looks flat and desaturated after export compared to to the program window.This happends with both cs5.5 and cs6.

I know there is some h264 bug with Quicktime but  its flat on Youtube also( in Safari) I thought this gamma issue has been sorted out?

How can I output my files to youtube so it looks the same as my Program monitor on youtube? I know all screens are different and you need a color calibrated montior( I have that) but why the shift?

It just does not seem that anyone has an answer. x264 does not work... anything else? QUickitme x does not have the ability to do the "opacity fix"

How will i get that my output on my client screen will not be so flat. ( I know it wont be exactly the same (as TVs in a showroom) but the difference between the video inside premier and outside is VAST!

I dont want to "fix" it by addinga contrast and saturation layer and them on a Windows machine maybe its then overly contrasty?

I'm on 17" MAcbook PRo Using anexternal calibrated NEC Monitor.

Did I miss a major answer on the web somewhere?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 28, 2012 1:02 AM   in reply to DavidForway

Hi David,

Unfortunately you have not missed anything. This issue has been out for years, Adobe is blaming Apple, apple is not doing anything about it.

There is a long discussion about it that we made on December 2010, worth checking.

Koray Birand

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 1:15 AM   in reply to DavidForway

You better off rendering a master file like Pro Res then converting it to H264 using a program like Handbrake or something similar that does x264 codec.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to SpaceCherryFilms

Prores files have the same problem it is not specific to h264,and handbrake or no other application is able to solve the problem since the player is using the native quictime codec when displaying the files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to DavidForway
    If I had a Windows machine would I have this problem?

I do, and I don't.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points