Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PS CS6 Extremely slow and sluggish. Brush tool delay.

May 24, 2012 2:03 AM

Hello everyone.

I own a copy of Photoshop CS6.

Switching from Photoshop CS to CS6, I have found this version to be extremely slow and I can not find a reason why it is like this. It is impossible for me to work on it.

Problem: Slow performance, when using the brush tool there is a long delay - lag. The brush takes more than 8 seconds to catch up with my strokes.

Software:Adobe Photoshop CS6 x64
CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
GPU:Radeon 6790 OC @ 920Mhz
RAM:A-Data DDR3 1333Mhz CAS9 4GB (x2)
SSD:A-Data 510 128GB SATA3
HDD:Samsung SATA 1TB

Tried:

- Memory usage allowed upgraded to 6GB, nothing changed.

- Default selected "Scratch Disk" is the main SSD which has over 58GB of free space, I've tried selecting the secondary HDD as well but nothing changes.

- Disabled the "Use Graphic  Processor" square. nothing changed.

- Disabled the "Use open CL" square in advanced Graphic Processor Settings. Nothing changed.

- Changed power management settings in windows to "High Performance". nothing changed.

- Disabling tablet pc service doesn't help.

Notes:

- Graphic drivers are the latest release on AMD website

- Windows is completely updated

- SSD Firmware is the latest available.

- The issue happens both with mouse and tablet.

- 1px brush and 5000px brush lag just alike in zoomed and not zoomed canvas.

- This happens on both x64 and x86 versions of the software.

Any help is aprecihated.

Thank you in advance.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 24, 2012 2:06 AM   in reply to ForeKeith

Download and install the ATI Catalyst version 12.2 drivers specifically (though they will end up saying 12.3 once you install them). At the moment, though it is not the latest release, 12.2 appears to be the best recent driver set to work with Photoshop.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw _vista64.aspx

Also, there appear to be several settings you have not tried, and you have to be sure to close and restart Photoshop when you make such changes, or you might not be testing with the changed settings.  Specifically, in the Performances preference dialog, press the [ Advanced ] button and try the different Drawing Modes.

AdvancedSettings.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 24, 2012 2:09 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

By the way, since you have newer drivers already installed, here's specific information on how to remove a newer version of ATI drivers and install 12.2:

• Uninstall Catalyst by removing the AMD Catalyst Install Manager in the Control Panel's Programs and Features section. This will cause the drivers that come with Windows to kick in.

• Delete or rename these specific files, which the uninstaller neglects to remove.

C:\Windows\System32\amdocl64.dll
      C:\Windows\SysWOW64\amdocl.dll

• Download/install Catalyst 12.2

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 24, 2012 3:33 AM   in reply to ForeKeith

Right off the bat something seems incomplete or wrong with your display driver setup:

Video Card: Unknown Video Card Name.

Driver Version: Unknown Video Driver Version.

Video Card Driver: Unknown Video Card Driver.

Video Mode: Unknown Video Mode.

Video Card Caption: Unknown Video Card.

Video Card Memory: Unknown. MB

This is what I see, with an ATI 5670, for those same fields:

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5670
    Driver Version: 8.950.0.0
    Driver Date: 20120214000000.000000-000
    Video Card Driver: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,ati umd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdv a,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
    Video Mode: 1600 x 1200 x 4294967296 colors
    Video Card Caption: ATI Radeon HD 5670
    Video Card Memory: 1024 MB

I really would suggest trying going through the uninstall and install I noted above.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 24, 2012 4:03 AM   in reply to ForeKeith

I really, really, really think you need to uninstall 12.4 and install 12.2.  I don't know how to be more clear.

Even if it doesn't directly solve this problem, it will poise you for MUCH better stability once you do solve it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 28, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to ForeKeith

I have the same problems as you have and my specs are:

Motherboard: Asrock Fatality P67 Performance

Cpu: Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4 Ghz

Graphic Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 OC

Ram: 6.0GB

Hard Drives: 60gb intel 520 SSD - system and photoshop here

977GB Western Digital WDC WD10EAVS-00D7B1 ATA Device (IDE)

Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

when i turn off graphic processor then it works almost fine, brush is fast and responsive and anything else on the layout

but when using liquify then the mouse keeps moving laggy until i hold down the button O.o

it's strange and i do not have these problems in CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to metallicfist

metallicfist wrote:

when i turn off graphic processor then it works almost fine, brush is fast and responsive and anything else on the layout

but when using liquify then the mouse keeps moving laggy until i hold down the button O.o

it's strange and i do not have these problems in CS5.

This definately says it is a graphics card/driver problem.  Lifquify underwent a major change in CS6 to rely more on features of the video card.  So just because it worked in CS5 means nothing.

I am sure Nvidia is working full time to update drivers to meet this new challenge.  If latest driver does not work send them a bug report.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to ForeKeith

In CS6 they added the Mecury Grahics Engine and some features require more of the graphics card.  Min VRAM is now 512 m.  Here is a link http://forums.adobe.com/thread/979969

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to ForeKeith

What does the GTX prefex stand for.  Just had another user with graphics card problems and after 90 min. on line with Nvidia they said the GT240 was not compatable with CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to ForeKeith

Do you have more than one card installed?  This can cause problems.

Anti-virus can also cause problems.  Temporarliy disable it and see if performace improves.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to ForeKeith

Here is a note from the person with the GT240.

According to NVIDIA Tech Support,on Adobe's website it tells what cards are compatible. Tech said GT240 was not and that Adobe lists the GT470 as the minimum.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Just as a spot of perspective - I'm using a Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1024Mb with the latest 301.24 driver and everything is working fine - no brush lags, CL ok. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to ForeKeith

Yup that's pretty lucky...

well my GTX 460 is a 1gb and anyway photoshop should not behave like that, i would consider it as a bug and not user hardware/software related.

i also tried to install the latest version of Geforce 301.24 driver yesterday after i wrote my first post here, but it didn't change anything. Still having the same issue :S

also GTX is just a name of a serie of graphic cards, it doesnt mean anything

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to metallicfist

Is the slowdown only affecting Liquify? Or does it also affect other GPU features like Oil Paint, Warp and Puppet Warp, canvas rotation? I have only seen Liquify slowdowns rarely and they are very hard to reproduce here. Are the slowdowns on machines with tablets attached?

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to john worthington

I have tried both, there is no difference and yes it only happens with Liquify or very soft and big brushes.

didn't notice any kind of slowdown using vanishing point, oil paint, dynamic zoom or anything else.

my brush is delayed and behind the mouse when going quick.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to metallicfist

I do not think the problems are caused by the cards, it may be a driver problem but these cards should be performing faster.

Just to be clear, when you run Liquify the preview does not have the (CPU mode) thin black pixel outline, right?

Does the cursor seem to track the mouse better when the cursor is not over the preview in the Liquify dialog? Like when you hover over the tools or controls.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to john worthington

there is no black pixel outline, i dont get the second one? It's not the cursor not following the mouse, it's the cursor that feels laggy when using brush but not when using liquify, actually its the opposite, when using liquify tool then it moves laggy and response strange but when starting to hold down the leftclick button then it goes back to normal and no lag until i let go of the mouse again. I dont know if you understand, it's kind of hard to describe.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 30, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to ForeKeith

ForeKeith wrote:

AMD replied to my email just today and said that my graphic card should be compatible and should perform great with the current drivers.

Wow, they went out on a limb and said that?    AMD clearly is denying any problems just as any corporate entity appears to do nowadays.  Didn't someone once say "shoot all the laywers"?

It's pretty clear the Catalyst 12.4 release is a bust with Photoshop.  Lots of people have seen that.  And I just checked - AMD hasn't released Catalyst 12.5 yet.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64. aspx

But I agree that your card is MORE than powerful enough.  Mine is slower than yours and my Photoshop experience is quick and interactive.  There is a SPECIFIC PROBLEM that's manifesting here.

But just to be absolutely, completely, undeniably sure we're not talking about a performance issue with very large files, please do the following:

1.  Create a new, blank document as follows:

NewImage.jpg

2.  Choose the Brush Tool then reset it by right-clicking in the little brush icon at the upper-left and choosing Reset Tool:

ResetBrushTool.jpg

3.  Make the brush 1000 pixels in size, fully soft.

BrushSize.jpg

4.  Set the foreground color to something other than white and brush quickly from the upper-left corner of the image to the lower-right.  Roughly how many seconds does it take for the actual on-canvas stroke to get all the way to the bottom (i.e., how far behind does it get)?

Is it:

• Nearly instantaneous?
    • One second behind?
    • Many seconds behind?

On my system with this big brush and huge image, it gets about 1 second behind.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

1 second here.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 30, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to metallicfist

Sounds like metallicfist is seeing a more or less typical delay because literally millions of pixels have to be manipulated.  Should it be faster than 1 second?  Maybe, but that's the state of the art.

But 10x slower than that, as is being seen by ForeKeith, indicates a problem I think.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yes i believe that 1 sec is pretty normal so that's fine but the brush* still feels so laggy when using it.

you can almost see every brush point is creates.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to ForeKeith

There is a team of engineers working on the problem here.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 1, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to john worthington

Jworthin, you don't realize how positive it is for users to hear something like that.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points