Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

color schemes/elements

May 23, 2012 10:44 AM

I have a good understanding of color schemes(more or less)in theory.

What I lack-when I have created a color scheme(in Kuler for example)- is to decide from what color each element/font of the  webpage must be compised of.

I mean if I have a 5 color monochromatic scheme, what color must be the background or the font or some other element for that matter.

I do not believe this must be a random choice.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to JimVag1947

Keep it simple.  Color schemes on the web should correspond to the client's existing color usage elsewhere such as vehicles, signage, stationery, television ad visuals, etc.  Adobe's done a fairly decent job with this forum site.  They have not gone crazy developing wild color.  Instead, they've tried to keep it corporate looking with light, medium, and dark Grays along with nice contrast color for the buttons and sub-text elements.  I've seen some nice web sites where they colored each page section a different color, but keeping it consistent and coordinated.  Sometimes it ( color ) depends on the content.  I try to approach web design much the same way I approach print design.  Web obviously involves some variations, but the fundamentals still apply.

Message was edited by: John Danek

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 6:12 PM   in reply to JimVag1947

I can just use this forum as an example.  Adobe is using Gray elements as backgrounds and text, just different percentages.  Some buttons are Blue, Some are Gold/Yellow.  So, a lt. Gray, a med. Gray, and a dark Gray, plus Blue, plus Gold / Yellow...that's 5.  Not sure what you mean by monochromatic.  5 different shades of one color?

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to JimVag1947

JimVag1947 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by monochromatic.  5 different shades of one color?

5 Different hues of the same color.

To a computer that translates as five (5) different colors.  Definitely not "monochromatic".

That confusion having been cleared up, I must say that I'm further confused by this thread being in this forum. 

Your original question is more of a DESIGN issue than a topic to be discussed under color managenment, which is the art and science of PRESERVING the colors in the digital process from capture to print, not what color "goes" with what other color.

If I'm misconstruing your posts, I apologize in advance.  Otherwise, I'd suggest that you'd be better of posting in the Design forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/design_development/design

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points