Skip navigation
amikoenig
Currently Being Moderated

Hard Drive Controller Configuration - Asus P9X79 Pro

May 29, 2012 3:08 AM

Tags: #cs6 #asus #x79 #hard_disk

I am building a computer for use with CS 6 Premiere Pro.  I purchased an Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard.  I  have bought 4 drives.  I plan to use a 256gb Samsung 830 SSD for the boot drive loaded programs and the operating system; two 500gb Western digital Velociraptor drives in Raid 0 for scratch disk; and a Hitachi 2tb Ultrastar 7K3000 drive for everything else. My question involves my confusion over selection of which controllers to attach the drive to on the Asus motherobard.  The X79 chipset comes with 2 x SATA 6gbs and 4 x SATA 3gbs.  The motherboard also has a Marvell 2 x SATA 6gbs controller.  My initial thought was to hook the 2 WD drives to the 6gbs connector and create the RAID 0.  I would then connect the Samsung SSD and Hitachi 7K3000 to the Intel 3gbs connectors.  Am I doing this properly or should I be using the SSD on the 6gbs connector and the set up the RAID on the 3gbs controller?  I read somewhere that it was not a good idea to use the Marvell controller for the SSD. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 29, 2012 3:17 AM   in reply to amikoenig

Definitely the Samsung on a SATA 6Gb connection. I would use the Velociraptors on the Marvell connections, use the Marvell raid controller and that leaves the Hitachi the second SATA 6 Gb connection. That means your backup disk, if internal, is on a SATA 3 Gb.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to amikoenig

First of all, it is a software raid controller, because there is no dedicated IOP. I have not yet had any experience with the Marvell controller on this mobo, but with older generation ASUS/Marvell mobos I've never had any problems. Even if Marvell may be slower than the Intel chipset based raid, I don't think you have any choice unless you get a dedicated raid controller ($$$).

I think the Drive Xpert tool from Asus is just a software layer over the BIOS installation and will probably be nothing more than crap that should be removed as most of the other ASUS software. Raid settings are done in BIOS, not under Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 1:52 AM   in reply to amikoenig

Areca ARC-1882 series is the best IMO, followed by LSI. Even if you have limited disks, I suggest to go for a model with at least 8 ports to prevent outgrowing the controller in the future.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 8:55 PM   in reply to amikoenig

if your samsung is a Sata III SSD why not using it in 6Gbs SATA port?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 9:07 PM   in reply to amikoenig

Atto is another industry leader used by professionals for 20 years (Avid,etc)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points