Skip navigation
Josh525
Currently Being Moderated

'Imprinting' a Shape with Words

May 28, 2012 4:28 PM

I want to 'imprint' a shape with text. The result being that the words in that shape will show whatever background color the shape is placed upon.

Can someone please show me how to do this?

I asked this question a while ago but reading it back cannot uderstand it for the life of me!

many thanks,

Josh

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 28, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to Josh525

I asked this question a while ago but reading it back cannot uderstand it for the life of me!

I have the same problem – with the question. Could you please show us at least a rough sketch of what you want to accomplish?

Thanks,

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to Josh525

I guess Josh wants a mask.

Make the word/s with white color and put it in front of what you want to mask as shown in the first image below. Then Select All and from the menu of the Transparency panel choose Make Opacity Mask and you will  the result in the second image.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to emil emil

You guys don't know no english well enought o knw not what somebody want to say you and can't undersstand no good english either what so wrong with you ! Huh!

the want an opcaity mask. The Op wrote it correctly bu it one of thise things that looks like it is worded oddly even though it is not all that way.

1. Set the text on top of the shape

2. select the sahpe and the text using a selection tool (not the type tool)

3. go to the transparency panel and select from the flyout menu Make Opcaity Mask (it might not look right att first)

4. Uncheck Clip if it is checked and make sure inverted is unchecked as well

5. Place the masked art over a shape(s) fill with a color fill(s).

Screen Shot 2012-05-28 at 9.26.10 PM.png

You can resize the filled paths so the do not extend beyond the masked shape.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 6:39 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Yo can get clever wit this technique and reshape the background paths so the color

Screen Shot 2012-05-28 at 9.37.42 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 8:11 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

You guys don't know no english well enought o knw not what somebody want to say you and can't undersstand no good english either what so wrong with you ! Huh!

You are a funny guy Wade. True, my English sucks but at least I press that spell checker button so my ridiculous words are at least spelled correctly, I guess you and me should write the messages together to make posting perfect.

By the way, if the background objects don't overlap, what you showed, alternatively can be made with making a black text on a wide box and putting everything in front with lighten color blending mode.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 2:54 AM   in reply to Josh525

Josh, others,

What is wrong with a Clipping Mask, just using live Type as it is?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 3:31 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob think about what you just suggested and look aat your posted art?

Why would you make a clipping mask to fill type with a color when you can just fill it with any color just by selecting a swatch or color from the mixer.

It kind of doesn't make sense!

The Op wanted to place a shape the had text in it so that any color place behid it would fill or show through, if you read the the original posting carefully.

You end up wioth no shapeand if you put a color behind it the clipping maksk the type doesn't change color Unless you change the blending mode or give a trans parency.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 5:28 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Wade,

Josh is obviously looking for a solution that goes beyond merely colouring some Type.

Otherwise, someone would surely have suggested to just change its fill colour.

There is no limit to the use of a Clipping Mask in terms of colours, gradients, whatever, and the image just showed one simple case that fits the words, with only the back ground.

Now the image is extended to also show the shape in between. The term background implies that it extends beyond the shape so it is quite possible to select the Type (which is on top of the shape) and the background (that is under the shape) and create the Clipping Mask which will be on top, as shown in the lower part of the image.

Creating an Opacity Mask also works and is more fun to watch in the process.

But just selecting the Type and the background and Alt/Option+O+M+M (Object>Clipping Mask>Make) is a bit simpler after all.

|
    Mark as:
  • Mathias17
    451 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 29, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to Josh525

Haha . . .

Anyway, Josh, it's very simple. We all get kinda noisy here some times, trying to innovate the best method, but I'm suggesting a quick destructive pathfinder operation.

By desctructive I mean it won't be a dynamic effect you can necessarily modify after you've committed to it. Compensate for this by making a copy of things before using the Pathfinder Panel.

Do this:

1. Design your type.
    2. Design your shape that you want to "show whatever background color the shape is placed upon".
    3. Position your type on top of the shape.  (might make a copy, drag it off to the side before proceeding)
    4. Color type a unique color, color shape a unique color.
    5. Hide everything except the type and shape (CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+3).
    6. Outline type.
    7. Select both type and shape and Pathfinder Panel > Divide.
    8. *EDIT    Forgot to add here: Deselect all and use Magic Wand to select all type and hit DELETE.
    9. Object > Path > Path Cleanup

You're left with a knocked-out shape. Simpleasy.

retropowa.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Nothing wrong Jacob, in fact it is an excellent suggestion. I never happened to try live text as a clipping mask and it didn't occur to me to suggest it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 7:34 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

You realize the clipping mask and the Opacity mask are very different animals? and work differently.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to Josh525

Emil, I was just joking with the fact that all answers were based on Opacity Masks.

Wade, I know. And as I hinted, I am very fond of Opacity Masks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 6:24 AM   in reply to Josh525

Josh,

If you want to have the full background, extending outside the shape parts shown as two separate parts, one with a solid colour and one with a gradient, you may just leave the gap between them as a gap that shows the background and let the live Type run across them and over the gap, and then:

A1) Copy the background in fornt of itself (Ctrl/Cmd+C+F), btoh the original and the copy being behind the shapes,

A2) Select the Type and the copy background and Object>Clipping Mask>Make (Alt/Option+O+M+M), leaving the original background (in the background).

which will create a mask with the right background appearance in front of the shapes, and is applicable for any appearance of the background, or if you have a background with a solid colour, you may:

B1) Just select the Type and change its Fill colour to that of the background.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to Josh525

Josh, try this, it takes a few seconds and your text remains editable.

1. Select all objects that you showed with your image

2. In the Transparency panel, from its menu select "Make Opacity Mask", uncheck "Clip", and check Invert "Mask"

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Josh525

Read up on Knockout Groups.

Peter

Knockout groups.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)