• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a "next" button to advance to the next question in quiz

Explorer ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, we have created a quiz. It works like this. Users answers a question, clicks submit, then gets an X or checkmark (correct/incorrect feedback). At this point, they must click anywhere to continue. I want a "next question" button to appear after the checkmark, so they can click the button to continue. is that possible? How? I don't like having to write the text "Click anywhere on the screen to go to the next question.

Thanks

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since you can click anywhere on the slide to continue, you could just add a 'dummy' button  (image of a button) to the slide, if the user clicks that, he clicks the slide and the second step will be executed  (Pass/Fail actions). Adapt the message about clicking the slide, and tell to click the button.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your suggestion. The ony problem with the "dummy" button is that people might click on it thinking it goes to the next slide when it does not. We removed the "skip" option from the quiz so they can only advance after they have answered the question and received feedback. We tried making the dummy button appear along with the feedback using the hide/show command but that does not work. With that technique, the dummy button appears after you click anywhere on the slide, which is not what we want.

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a good idea to remove the skip button, because it doubles as Next button during review. Do you have the Clear button? If yes, drag the Skip button under the Clear button it is stacked lower. Once the user is in Review mode, the Clear button has disappeared and the Skip button - you can change its Text to Next - is again available because visible. When a button is under another button it loses its functionality, so the Skip will not be available during an attempt.

Think you'd better have a look at my blog post about tweaking question slides:

Question Question Slides in Captivate

If you are willing to create your own feedback captions you could skip the first step (with the default Success/Failure captions) and insert a static button widget to appear when the feedback appears to pause the slide. If you are using CP5.5 you'll need to download this widget from another blog post:

What I (dis)like in CP5.5

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

We are not using the "review quiz" option. We are using the "clear" and "submit". I will try the widget you suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, downloded the widget. The next question is...how do I create my own feedback options (which by the way  only display a checkmark or x graphic)? And also show the widget?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm puzzled really.

I understood that you didn't allow Review, but those checkmarks only appear during Review AFAIK. In the two-step process on the question slide, a Failure/Success or Hint caption appears, no check mark. Are we talking about the same software ?

In the first blog post I referred to I explained how to create your own feedback: you can use images, text captions etc... But you'll need to use advanced actions,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry for the misunderstanding! I was in a hurry.  We are talking about the same software. What I did was, instead of showing text or the usual caption types  for the Failure/Success caption, I used a checkmark and x bmps.

I'll look at your blog but I can already tell it will be a lot of work to implement that strategy.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri, I followed the suggestions in your blog on how to use custom captions and display a next button upon clicking submit. It works. But, do i need to do advance actions on every single screen? I tried copying and pasting the objects from the first slide (where i named the objects and created the advance ations) but upon copying the objects to new slides, the object names were removed. Is thre a way to keep the object names and advance interactions programming on all other quiz question screens after i copy and paste the objects. I dread having to do the same process of renaming objects, creating advance actions for every single page of ouor 60 question quiz.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the biggest problem with advanced actions that do refer to objects: objects have a unique ID, so the text caption on the second question has another ID as the one on the first question slide, so you need a duplicate advanced action in which you edit the ID's. Since I started playing with advanced actions I have been begging to get rid of that 'unique ID' thing because it makes it so cumbersome, but at this moment that request has not enough support to make it high on the priority list of the engineers, so sorry.

Sometimes keeping objects set for the rest of the project and hiding/showing them when necessary is a solution, because in that case the object keeps the same ID. However this is only possible for non-interactive objects.

Another solution would be if we could create a statement by concatenation, using Show & variable  where the variable has an ID of an object as value. Another request (concatenation) that didn't get on the list either.

My only tip is: try to think about a very consistent way of labeling objects, so that editing the multiple duplicate actions will be easier.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

Your recommendation was very helpful so thank you.  Do you know if there's a way to put the 'Skip' button bellow the 'Submit' button?  My goal is that when a user takes the quiz, their only option is to 'Submit' and I want to put the 'Skip' button below the 'Submit' button so when users review the quiz, they will only see the 'Skip' button which I will change to say 'Next'. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Natalie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The Submit button is at the bottom of the stack, so the answer is No. See blog post: http://lilybiri.posterous.com/question-question-slides-in-captivate

That is the reason I will always keep the Clear button (allows the user to clear his answer if necessary, not that bad) because you can hide the Skip button (that I will rename to Next button) under the Clear button. Since the Clear button disappears during Review, the Next/Skip button will be visible then.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that's what I figured!

One more quiz question, I want my users to have 2 attempts at the quiz.  If they fail the first attempt, I want to force them to review the quiz as opposed to retaking the quiz right away.  Do you know if that is possible?  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just read your blog in more depth and don't think it's possible.  Am I correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, that is the way the Captivate quiz is designed: when choosing Review, you'll lose all further attempts.

If you want this functionality, please enter a feature request. Workaround is to create your own question slides.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again.  I am going to experiment, but do you know if you can have custom slides with a question pool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No question pool with custom question slides,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a 50 question multiple choice test with a question pool, I want to force the users to review the quiz, regardless if they pass/fail.  After one review, do you know if I can remove the Review button and replace it with a 'continue' button.  Or after one review, can I have the quiz jump to another slide?

Thank you for all of your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Review Quiz button will not appear on the Quiz Results slide if the user passes the quiz, only if they have not yet passed.

So you cannot currently force users to review the quiz if they pass. You could force the Review Quiz button to remain available only if you make it somewhat impossible for the user to score a full 100% on the quiz.  But even though this will mean the user still sees the Quiz Review button available, there's currently no way to trigger the Quiz Review itself unless the user obligingly clicks the button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion.  I would just like to add that the Review Quiz button appears on the scoring page, regardless of the passing or failing (I am using Captivate 5.5).

I figured out a portion of what I need.  Now I am wondering after a user takes the quiz and reviews it, is there a way to change the 'Review' button or have them jump to another slide?  I want them to review the quiz then move to another slide without having to open another project.  Do you know if there is a variable for this function?  Thanks, again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[Slaps forehead]...My apologies, you are correct.  It's the Retake Quiz button that disappears as soon as the user passes the quiz, not the Review Quiz button.  But it still requires the user to click this button in order to trigger the review.  You cannot (to my knowledge) trigger it automatically via Advanced Actions.

You cannot change the Review Quiz button into something else. Just as you cannot change other buttons on the Quiz Results slide like Continue or Retake Quiz to perform different functions.  And neither can you add other interactive objects to the Quiz Results slide.

You might be able to use custom variables and Conditional Advanced Actions to detect if the user has been to a specific slide a certain number of times (due to having reviewed the quiz) and then use this data to execute an action to navigate them somewhere else.  But there is so specific variable or standard action you can use for this.  You'll have to improvise.

I've actually logged an enhancement request with Adobe to have system variables added that will tell you whether the user is currently retaking or reviewing a quiz.  But that may not get the not for inclusion in Captivate for some time (if at all).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources