Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Let me get this straight.... Video cards supported on Mac

May 26, 2012 3:49 PM

I've been reviewing the forums to check whether I should upgrade from AE 5.5 to 6.

I see this from Adobe:

" The following NVIDIA GPUs are supported in After Effects CS6.

Mac:

1. GeForce GTX 285
  2. Quadro CX
  3. Quadro FX 4800
  4. Quadro 4000"

What about ATI cards?

Any info gratefully received.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 26, 2012 9:53 PM   in reply to djfilms9

There is no support for ATI cards and that is that. OptiX is a proprietary NVidia thing no matter whether it's Mac or PC.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 7:06 PM   in reply to djfilms9

any info gratefully received?  uhh..  ya..

Mylenium is a private individual who volunteers their time adding a heck of lot of value to the forums..  So be thankful to him for answering.

If you weren't so arrogant, I would tell you when engineering teams decide on which technologies to take bets on, it is usually based on how mature the technology is at the time they start development.  Lets assume Adobe started started work on the ray tracer ~2 years ago.  If you went to the 2 major manufacturers (AMD & NVIDIA) and asked them what they had who could help you?  NVIDIA had Optix, AMD had nothing and OpenGl had squat for development tools..  If you ran a business who would you go with for your first release?

Business decisions are made on what the business units believe they can deliver within a given timeline.. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Mylenium wrote:

There is no support for ATI cards and that is that. OptiX is a proprietary NVidia thing no matter whether it's Mac or PC.

Mylenium

This is incorrect information.

ATI cards are supported for After Effects CS6, however, there is no GPU acceleration for ray-traced 3D compositions. You can render those with CPUs in computers with ATI cards (quite a bit slower, though). Bottom line, ATI cards work fine with AE CS6, just no acceleration for ray-traced compositions.

More info here: http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2012/05/gpu-cuda-opengl-features-in -after-effects-cs6.html

System requirements: http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/tech-specs.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 11:30 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

I was never referring to anything else...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 11:12 PM   in reply to djfilms9

Fair enough...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 9:41 PM   in reply to djfilms9

@djfilms9, lets take it offline, you are more than welcome to PM me and we'll discuss it further as this thread has become stale.  BTW my experience with computers started began with the Altair 8800.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points