Skip navigation
OXZO
Currently Being Moderated

File Associations Did Not Update and Cannot Be Changed To Photoshop CS6

May 14, 2012 1:50 PM

Changing a file association is a simple matter you either do it in Windows Explorer in the properties or just use the edit in command in bridge.

Except that neither is working.

Photoshop CS6 is not even showing up as an option in either Explorer or in Bridge but it is ironically working in Lightroom.

So again before someone doesn't bother to read this: I know how to change file associations.  I know the normal steps and it should be easy.

It is not working and it is a pain in the you know what.

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to OXZO

Have checked Bridge Preferences?  Ctrl k

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 12:59 AM   in reply to OXZO

I have the same issue with PS6 and psd files, can't open psd's from bridge or windows explorer instead it tries to open them in Acrobat.

Bridge associations are correctly listing psd to open in photoshop cs6

Can't change the file association in Windows either, the change just doesn't stick. Looks like a bug. I'm using Win 7 64 bit. What OS are you on OXZO?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 1:11 AM   in reply to bish_o

It's happening with inDesign CS6 too, double clicking on id files tries to open them up in acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to bish_o

Not sure if this is the same issue or not... I am not a heavy PS user, today may be the first time I tried to use my PS CS6 version, but I cannot open a single file in PS... no PSD's, no PNG's... PS just sits there... no errors, warning, no hint of activity...

Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to psteil

The file association is set in Bridge under edit/preferences/file type associations which usually fixes the problelm.

If this does not work perhaps you uninstalled a previous version once you had CS6 installed?  This can really foul up file associations and not easy to fix.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points