Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Remove redundant points

May 30, 2012 3:50 AM

Is there a way to remove redundant points whilst maintaining the exact shape of the path?

After using Pathfinder or Expand there are often many redundant points which can't be removed using Simplify or Unite.

The VectorScribe plugin has a Smart Remove Points feature which is exactly what I want. I'm presuming the only way I can get that feature is to buy the plugin.

A simple example is shown below: The path is part of an exact circle and I need to remove one of the anchors.

redundant_points.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2012 4:58 AM   in reply to ja3754

Nope. Nothing in Illustrator that does that reliably.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to ja3754

The VectorScribe plug-in has a tool for this...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to ja3754

You don't seem to comprehend the meaning of the word "redundant".

The 4 anchors on a circle make the circle what it is and are therefore not redundant.

If you want to draw a circle using only 3 anchors you can make a guide out of you existing circle and then trace in manually with the Pen tool.

In such an instance Smart Guides are your friends.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to ja3754

You have to remember you're dealing with Bezier curves, not with circular radii and arcs. You cannot approximate a circle with three cubic Bezier curves quite as accurately as you can with four (although arguably—and demonstrably—you can come pretty close for most practical purposes.) So strictly speaking, simplifying a four-segment "circle" to three segments is not as good an example of "redundancy" as would be simplifying an eight-segment "circle" down to four segments. Try it:

1. Ellipse tool: Draw a circle.

2. Object>Path>Add Anchor Points.

3. Object>Path>Simplify. Adjust the sliders and see if you can make it end up with 4 anchorPoints.

So essentially, what's being sought is a more intelligent "simplify" command than the one that is built into Illustrator. Obviously, Illustrator's Simplify command is not more intelligent than it is, so the answer to the original query is no.

3754 is already aware of the VectorScribe plug-in. He mentioned it in the original post. So in the end, it's a question of whether you want to build mission-critical (or merely habitual) dependency upon 3rd-party add-ons that may or may not keep pace with changes to the host program, deal with yet another software vendor, pay the extra cost, etc., etc. I personally avoid doing that like the plague. Other's don't. But in the end, it's just a matter of another Illustrator feature not really being up to par.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points